Some Photographs of Water Wheels

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:I stand corrected H. I took that overhang to be the water course.... :(
So did I at first glance Grandad :)

Kiya that would be great if you have any pictures :) :)

BillH

Post by BillH »

You have no iron or bronze, but having the ability to get granite accurate to within 2 thou inch and cut and move great lengths, as they clearly did.
Granite pipes, (Square of course, made up of 4 lengths of granite) with a huge structure on top and around to hold it all together, or in the case of the temples, buried in the ground.
A granite block on granite balls acts as the ram..
See my second to last picture, do you not think it looks familiar ? A Tad deeper in Egypt though.

But was it used to pump water, or generate a pulse..? THAT is the question :sl:

I feel a new topic coming on...soon. 8)

I also have a theory about the front pylons of the temples... :sl:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Great photos! Am enjoying them all along with the explanations.

What is your theory BillH?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Unfortunately the biggest flaw in Bills ram pumps at temples theory, or that the pyramids were themselves ram pumps is this, water need to run downhill to enable such a device to work.

You need approximately 20 times the volume of water to flow through a pipe in order that a ram pump can push about 1/20th of that volume of water up another pipe. So the mechanics of it are that you need about 100 gallons of flow to produce 5 gallons of pumped water.
“Ah” I hear you say, “they have the river Nile!”
Well yes they do, but the river Nile is the lowest point of the land and can only flow along at the same level other than at a cataract.

With a 1 metre of drop it is possible to lift a water column 40 metres, but it is not quite that simple, the water needs to be flowing by gravity through a pipe so as to produce the shock, or 'ram' effect when flowing water is suddenly stopped by a valve shutting off. So the Nile is of little use as it is already at its lowest level and has nowhere lower to fall to.

For the same reasons the Pyramids or temples sites could not be used as ram pumps because there is no water situated at a higher level than they are located, that could be used to power a ram pump. However it still begs the question, “what would be the purpose of these pumps anyway?” They would be little use for irrigation, by the very principles involved to operate one, there must already be abundant water at a higher level than the pump itself, so that is self defeating.

The other argument I have heard put forward is that they were used to power lifting devices such a raising granite building blocks. This is clearly a none starter as this would imply the use of hydraulics which uses the principle of a small amount of fluid being pumped into a larger diameter cylinder to lift a greater weight.

One only has to look at a mechanical digger to see the principle in action, where oil under extremely high pressures is pumped into cylinders which in turn lift the arms and bucket on the machine. Now try to imagine the ancient Egyptians producing something similar, it is as simple as that. The same principles of high precision engineering and mechanics apply, it is not possible to do a ‘Blue Peter’ job of making one from granite blocks and Palm tree trunks, it requires high tech materials that did not exist in their day.
I rest my case, over to you Bill ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

I shall explain in the topic. I have some good diagrams now, and just have a few more to complete. Proble is, that no ne else seems to have it exactly right.
It will prove that these people were so much more brighter than us, and in touch with creation, something we lost a long time ago.

I still have a little way to go on the theory LLL.. no one else seems to have thought about that one either, ( That's the bit that worries me about presenting it ), but I really think it is a possibility.
The Pylons were completley unnecessary when you think about it.. :)

I cant wait for Horus's reaction... :lol: :lol:

I do understand cynisysm and scepticism, after all, most of us are taught about Ancient Egypt by the time we reach secondary school, as were our parent's probably..
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My Dear Bill, you must not confuse my comments with cynisysm and scepticism. Rather it is me thinking for myself and rejecting your theory as impracticable, however I am always very interested to here about them and if indeed I thought at any time that they were practicable, I would be the first to say so ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

No offence Horus, I was generalising the public perception of anything that goes against the taught wisdom of modern man.

I hope to at least get people thinking... ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And no offence taken mate ;) As you know I am a very practicable person and am not easily sold the more fancyful theories, but keep trying :) :) :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I know that I posted a picture of this Mill Race before but the river was high this morning and with the main sluice closed, all of the water was passing through where the two wheels used to be. This is one of them, and you can see how much 'fall' there is from current river level to the normal level....

Far more exciting with rushing waters.......

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Excellent Grandad!! Great photo of 'rushing' water. I seem drawn to it, people seem always to be drawn to 'rushing water' and I think not only for the beauty of it (cause waterfalls are beautiful) but cause I kinda think that the sight of moving water stirs in us an long lost instinct to go to water. Same as when people are drawn to fire. Most can't help but look at it. I think water has the same draw.

Great photo!!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Brilliant photo Grandad, I just wish I lived near enough to get some pictures of all that water power, awsome.
Have you tried some slow exposure shots to get the misty/milky effect? I bet it would look really good :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, Mrs G was just reading the threads on here and said she is getting worried about you.....drawn to flowing water, drawn to fire.......don't go anywhere near a cliff edge. :) :) :)

Horus I didn't have a tripod or I would have done just that..... I just left the camera on auto and it set to 1/125 sec f5.6 ISO200 and even with this fairly short shutter speed there is still quite a bit of frothing.....you can imagine what volume of water was flowing through there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh no! Mrs Grandad has got my number now!!!! ;) :P
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well Horus, a brighter day so I took the tripod and thought I would try to add some frothyness to the Mill Race......no such joy......I will just have to get some ND filters. :(

While there, a party of French school kids on a day trip walked across from the coach park on their way into the city. Grabbed this shot that I quite like so all was not lost. :) :) :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah well, never mind Grandad ;) you did your best and at least you have a project for later in the year. :)
I like the addition of the students as it puts the actual size of the mill race into better perspective and we can now appreciate how big it really is. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yes - The addition of the children really makes the "size" of this as, as per the first photo, I didn't think the water was really that big.