Old photos of Philae Temple

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Kevininabydos wrote:I think BillH is referring to the Hathor column tops JOJO.
I can't remember whether I saw some of them in El-Khab or Amarna?...will look through my photos.

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Now we're talking Elongated heads BillH......
BillH

Post by BillH »

NICE 8) Arkenaten meets the Grays !!
where did you find that ??

No, it was elongated sideways, by the eyes, like a cartoon cat or E.T but the nose was lower down than E.T's..
Horus's 3rd Picture, see the column tops as Kevin said, are fairly similar. the stone was quite a bit smaller than the column top.
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos »

Interesting that.. the original name of God.. Tetragrammatron, as told in the old testament, meaning the "Four faces of God".. This has nothing to do with these column tops I am afraid, it refers to the 4 letters in the Hebrew used in place of the name of God as God has no name and is faceless. for reference see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton

These are depictions of Hathor who was often represented as a cow not a cat. The column tops are depictions of Hathor in her cow personification, you can see both female human and cow features in the carving and on her head is a representation of her shrine.

If the block you refer to was on a "quiet" spot on the island that would have been where it was on the original island. The Temple was in constant use and continued repair (the last date-able hieroglyphic inscription dates to 394CE) until Emperor Justinian forced the closure of the remaining pagan section of the Temple in the mid 500 CE( There was 2 Christian Churches on the island by the 4th century CE that co-existed with the Temple of Isis for nearly a hundred years!) so the odd out of place block is unsurprising.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Correct about YHWH. ;)
however interesting that Hathor had the 4 faces and being a God, I was making the comparison with the Ancients and more modern religions.. you do have to wonder where the Judo Christian religion comes from dont you..
The old testament is quite literally lifted in a distorted form, from Armana.
I think I hav eseen other Egyptian dieties symbolised in the same way with 4 faces ?
Anyhow, it's late and I have another 4 am start. :roll:
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

BillH wrote:NICE 8) Arkenaten meets the Grays !!
where did you find that ??

No, it was elongated sideways, by the eyes, like a cartoon cat or E.T but the nose was lower down than E.T's..
Horus's 3rd Picture, see the column tops as Kevin said, are fairly similar. the stone was quite a bit smaller than the column top.
If I told you where I'd have to shoot you......it could of been somewhere out on the Theban Necropolis.
Right I know what face you are on about now, there was a temple full of them at El-khab, I'll shifty through my Piccies.
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

All look like Hathor, JoJo :)
BillH

Post by BillH »

Agreed Horus. :) ( I did some googling today in work)

The face is very similar, but the top of the head and the hair is all wrong.

I see that she has been victim of the vandals in the first picture. The second picture is much more like the stone I found :) .
I have to say that on the particular piece I found, the carving was superbly detailed, and the eyes were certainly Human shaped, and had that long neck.

Thanks for uploading those Pic's JOJO..
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..