Two faces of Marrakech

We want to hear about your other holiday adventures, tell us where you went and what you did there. Remember to include useful information about the destination, was it a good or a bad experience, what things should you do or avoid. add your travel tips, maps, videos and photos.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Two faces of Marrakech

Post by Grandad »

We arrived home, very tired, at 3am today from our trip to Marrakech. I will tell you all about it in the coming days after I have sorted the best of my 300+ phots and prepared a little bit of dialogue to accompany them.

Meanwhile here is my very last picture on Sunday evening just to give you a little flavour.

(Techie stuff 1/30sec, f2, ISO800)

I will be back soon to tell you the whole story........

:gg:

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: TWO FACES OF MARRAKECH

Post by Kiya »

Oooo loving the b/w photo :) look forward to seeing more :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nice and sharp Grandad and no noticeable 'noise' at the higher ISO, looking forwards to more when you have recovered. :up

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Can't wait! Rest up fast Grandad! :) Hope you had a terrific time :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As this is a rather long (for me) report I will post it as three parts. There are quite a few photos, there would have been more but I ran out of my allocation in both the Misc album and my personal album.The pictures are a selection of Candids, Holiday Snaps, Panos, and Tourist places. Hope it is not too long and boring.....hence three parts :lol:

I will now start a new thread TWO FACES OF MARRAKECHPart 1

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I didn't realise that the MISC section had a posting limit? If it does let me know and I will ask Keefy to look into it.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Apparently, yes, Horus. I am aware of the 500 limit in a personal album but did not know about the 250 limit in Misc until it stopped me loading any more??? I thought I remembered Keefy saying we could load as many as we like in the Misc album. ?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Me too Grandad, I didn't think there was an upper limit in those open albums, if there is I am sure that Keefy can up the limits,not much point in having albums if they are all full up is it? :lol: :lol:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I reached my limit too in one of the categories where I used to pictures all the time. Am working on my own personal section right now as I limited out in the other category.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Morocco is very strict on the amount of MAD (dirhams) that can be taken into or out of the country. I believe it is only 1000 (about £80) but could be wrong. However, in anticipation of queues at the airport Bureau de change, I obtained dirhams via a London exchange before departure.
I calculated well and although I had GBP with me I did not need to change any more and arrived back at the airport with just a few hundred dirham left. I then had difficulty changing them back because I did not have the Moroccan bank reciept proving that I changed money inside the country. I lied and said I had lost it. After scrutiny and photocopying my passport and boarding pass, the money was changed.

A lot of fuss over little more than enough for a couple of G & T's on the flight :(

LLL mentioned quality of souvenirs. I agree there is a lot of tat available. If we buy anything we only buy things that we really like and will get some use from or appreciate, like a picture. In the past we have been drawn too often to things that seemed appropriate at the time but end up in the loft or at boot fairs. :lol:

Regarding single travellers, we did not feel in any way threatened or insecure at any time and I am sure that a single traveller would be perfectly safe but I guess you might be approached more by registered and unregistered guides offering their services. The main souk just off Jemaa El Fna is vast and easy to get lost. However there are some main streets and any shopkeeper will put you in the right direction to find your way out.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Didn't realize there were rules about money being brought in and taken out. Interesting. Do you know why? Or just one of those rules in life that one must follow but never know why?

I'm pretty good travelling alone. Am not too great in organized tours especially if they're more than one or 2 days duration. That being said I was thinking of China and there are tour groups that leave here all the time for there. Was considering going on a tour as I have absolutely no point of reference in China and don't even really know anybody else who has gone and can give pointers of 'go here, stay away from there' etc. To me too China seems more closed than Morocco or Egypt. Maybe just my perception.

I'm not particularly worried about the hassle from vendors or the approach of "I'm in love" etc. I have no doubt I could put the run on the most ardent Moroccan suitor ;) I think in very short order they'd find out they couldn't afford all the demands I'd have of them :lol: :lol: :lol: and flattering me would get them nowhere :))) Bit too serious minded for that sort of frivolity that many women fall for.

As for souvenirs Grandad - is there anything in Morocco that is particularly hand made that we'd find decorative? There was really nothing in Egypt that I fancied at all. Last thing I want is my name written in hieroglyphics and put into a gold pendant (that would probably be plated gold) or glass perfume bottles made in China or leather that doesn't light on fire (I remember in a Souk a vendor whipping out a lighter and showing me how the purse he was trying to sell me didn't burn).

I think I'd find the most value in taking photographs of interesting people and sites and touring around. It all looked really quite intriguing. Think I'm going to add it to my list.....

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Nothing happening on here at the moment!

In my 3 part account of our trip to Marrakech I mentioned the repetitive music loop at the hotel pool bar. The first track was 'haunting but mournful' and this morning I tracked it down on youtube.

Nobody seemed to like it except the local boys? What do you think??

phpBB [video]

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No its a bit flat on this side at the moment Grandad :(
Had a quick listen to the music and switched it off after about 30 seconds, that would drive me mad listening to that more than once, awful and almost uninteligible, not my idea of a good tune. :stp

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Afraid not my cup o' tea Grandad :(

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Awful .. whining squeaky woman , pass the earplugs - :stp

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Phew! That's a relief! It won't open for me, so I will have to remain in the dark! :lol:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

nooo from me too :td :td