More of a blog than a travelogue.....

We want to hear about your other holiday adventures, tell us where you went and what you did there. Remember to include useful information about the destination, was it a good or a bad experience, what things should you do or avoid. add your travel tips, maps, videos and photos.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: More of a blog than a travelogue.....

Post by Grandad »

Loving the interesting and SO well written blog Lisa and I hope that when you get to Palestine you will be able to 'get under the skin' of the place to see how your experiences compare with those that you have heard about at your meeting.

:gg:

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Aw thank you Grandad, that is very kind.
It is funny, but I feel it has gotten under my skin already. I am having to hold back saying a lot about certain things I have discovered in case the powers that be are reading it and I'm not allowed in the country. It sounds dramatic, but unfortunately true!

I am really enjoying writing the blog and sharing my journey with all who are following it. Tahnks again x
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

New post up

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It is all sounding very exciting Lisa, and staying in a village will be a very special experience. :)

I was not aware that there had been a thriving glass manufacturing industry in Palestine. However, on reflection, we were in Croatia last month and they have some glass production and if we add to that the Venetian glass at Murano and Burano it would suggest that this has been an eastern Mediterranean trade for hundreds of years.

This was some tourist souvenir examples in Dubrovnik:
:gg:

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Ooh loving the colours in that glass Granddad.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

These following pictures were published this week from Martin Iqbal. He has gone to Palestine with Manal as part of our group. They both crossed the border last Saturday. Martin has been putting up many pictures of places they have so far visited, and of the village we will be staying. But these photographs really caught my eye. This model was made by a Palestinian man, called Sudki, who made the model whilst under Israeli detention(he is shown on the left in the bottom picture) It took him five years to make. His sentence was given to him for being politically active! He has used well over half a million coloured beads to painstakingly make this fabulous model which is now on display in a restaurant in Hebron.

To read more and to see the photographs......http://shakingtheshadowsfromtheolivetre ... -the-rock/

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

So, this time next week we will all be in anticipation for our flight out to the seat of three major religions- Christianity, Judaism and Islam. A place which has been fought over since time began and will probably be fothe end of time. Last week, I was sitting in a church at a funeral, half listening to the vicar ‘doing her bit’ about Jesus dying for us on the cross when I had a strange feeling overwhelm me, and overwhelm me it did. ............

http://shakingtheshadowsfromtheolivetre ... press.com/

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Lisak, you must be getting really excited now! (I'm even getting excited for you! :D ) Is your packing all done? Paperwork all in order? Are you running around like a headless chicken yet??? :lol: I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time and be sure to make lots of notes and take lots of photos. Don't forget to update your blog if and when the opportunity arises. I'll be keeping my eye on it for new postings! :up

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Lol....yes yes and yes Ruby Slippers.

I am hoping that I can upload the blog in Hebron or Bethlehem on a fairly regular basis.

We are all so excited now, but also nervous, 2 of our group have been refused entry into Palestine, so we are prepared for the worst if needs be. But hopefully, we will all be ok.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Today is Eid, the ending of the Ramadan fast for Muslims. This is traditionally when they give each other gifts and wear new, brightly coloured clothes, at little like Christmas for Christians. For Muslims, Mecca is the Holy of Holies. It is a place you must visit at least once during your lifetime to do the Hajj, pilgrimage. For many the trip to Saudi is a long and expensive one. The second most holy site for a Muslim is Al-Aqsa Mosque (Masjid al-Aqsa) Al Aqsa was built in 705ad but was destroyed by an earthquake. The current structure is dated to 1133AD. tbc....

My last post til I am over the other side...see you all then!!

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

For those that have been following this thread but perhaps not caught up with Lisa's blog - they have arrived safely. Lisa put a short update to her blog yesterday.
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks, Hepzi! :up

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

We exited the car and once again climbed the hill to the settler’s area. These once bustling streets, now have only a handful of people walking them.

If you look very carefully to the bottom right of the picture you will see an Israeli soldier. We turned left and entered the Jewish area. The differences here are not immediate. Women are dressed very similarly to Muslim women, with long dresses and headscarves on. For me the similarity was striking.
tbc......

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

And worse it got….
Posted on September 8, 2012
By now the three of us were feeling really tetchy and ready to leave the area, but Manal had other plans and led us upwards towards another house.

“this must be it” she muttered to herself as we scrambled up a dirt bank and along a path. this led into a lush garden with a pergola with grave vines entwined. A nervous looking woman greeted us with her 3 children and we were ushered up to the verandah overlooking the garden. It was cool up here. The breeze drifted through the wire mesh windows. The family had long given up trying to keep any glass in the house. It had all been shot out too many times.

http://shakingtheshadowsfromtheolivetre ... se-it-got/

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

These last two entries are heartbreaking, Lisa! :( I don't know if I could have gone where you did. I think my fear wouldn't have allowed me to - and yet, the residents of the occupied towns have no choice! :cry:

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

It was funny. When Mohammed invited us to his home, part of me was thinking why the hell would I want to put myself in danger like that? The other part of me was curious as to what it was like. Now I know. I don't know what would be worse, wondering what it would be like, or what we actually saw heard and experienced?

I just know that life will never be the same again. :xx :cry: :( :?: :urm: :|

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Some pics of The Wall put to music

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Lisa, your blog is compelling reading! I'm so sorry about your friend's camera though! That must have left a very nasty taste in your mouths! :(

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

The week began….
Posted on September 15, 2012
I am now going to back track a bit on my blogs. Sorry they are jumping about a bit in time.

Our first day after arriving in Palestine was to go and see Hebron. This town was a 15 minute drive away from where we were staying.

(for those wanting to know more about Hebron-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebron)

We gathered together in a bustling street near to the market to be told of where we were going and what we might see. Manal explained to us about the occupied areas and that we will see soldiers with guns and have to go through many checkpoints just to walk around this part of the city. We headed off through the streets. Emily (aged 12) suddenly felt unwell. I actually think she was frightened. Being told you were going to come face to face with soldiers with big guns is a frightening prospect for me aged 44 yet alone for a 12 year old.

http://shakingtheshadowsfromtheolivetre ... eek-began/

There is another post after this one called Continued.

Thank you Ruby, it did. However, Elaine and Manal concocted a story. A bag was delivered to the village and we were all told that it was the camera. It was only in Jordan the following week where Elaine told me that they made that story up so the group didn't have that bad taste in the mouth all week. :urm:

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

“Oh Little Town of Bethlehem.”
Posted on September 25, 2012
Our second full day took us to Bethlehem. I was so excited to be visiting here, this place that almost every child sings about at Christmas. As I have mentioned before I loved my bible stories and felt like Bethlehem would have a magical presence to it.

We arrived outside the Church of the Nativity. Crowds were milling about, led by umbrella and paddle waving tour-guides. We were an unruly rabble and just wandered in. The inside was not what I expected, to be honest I was a little disappointed with it’s high, beamed ceiling. I don’t really know what I expected……but it wasn’t this ‘modernness’.