Scooters......what's occurring?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Scooters......what's occurring?

Post by Grandad »

Both RS and MD have mentioned scooters lately so what is the state of play Ladies?

You will remember that I now have a brace of small scooters. The small trike I just keep for those occasions when family are off somewhere and we can tag along. ;)
I am still testing the range of the larger 4 wheeler. It is a popular Rascal brand with a claimed range of around 20 miles. I bought as a pre owned machine and the dealer told me the batteries tested to 90% capacity which was acceptable to me.
This is my pair.
IMG_20190730_113855.jpg
The last thing I want to do is push it too far and run out of battery so I am increasing my trip lengths gradually. This morning I went to the docs which is right across town and probably 6 miles round trip. When I got home I had not lost any battery condition lights so next test will be to the hospital, just under a mile further on from the docs.

MD, how are you getting on with 'Bertie"? and what model is he?

RS, did you finally buy a scooter and, if so, what brand and model did you get?

Since having to give up driving about 4 years ago my scooters have continued to give me some independence which I really enjoy. ;)
Still can't persuade Mrs G to use the trike though ;) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Scooters......what's occurring?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well Grandad, Bertie is a Li-Tech Air + from CareCo in Cardiff but they have many outlets in the UK. Ruby told me about the store near her and as I could only find little shops locally with nothing suitable I looked specifically for CareCo and found their massive warehouse the other side of the city.

My scooter has a Lithium battery with I think 15 miles range. Fully sprung with 4 wheels it breaks down into 4 pieces (including the basket) Total weight is 41kg and the heaviest piece is 15kg. It has great leg room - there were only 2 travel scooters that fitted my gangley legs, their cheapest one which was very good but had no springs and a short range, and the Li-Tech which I love.

I've been riding it round the house - not a mansion just a Victorian end of terrace that's been extended a couple of times so has a long narrow hall with a dog leg and tight turn in it. Very useful for learning the turning tolerances when moving forward or in reverse. I don't want to take it out while it's pouring with rain and I'm getting the feel of it.

I wish I could post a picture. :(
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I like that one MD and 41 Kg is very lightweight. That's the advantage of lithiun batteries, they tend to be lighter. Neither of mine have spring suspension but the larger one has pneumatic tyres which tend to compensate for no springs.
I have taken the liberty of posting a picture in case RS is interested. Hope you don't mind. ;)
MS01072_litech_air__lithium_scooter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Mind? Certainly not I'm grateful, thank you.

It has a very comfortable seat which will turn easily to either side or right round if you choose - so getting seated is easy. It is also fairly close to the ground which means I just sit on it not mount it as with the bigger machines.

After I get seated I pull the steering close, rest my right wrist on the end of the arm and can drive forward or backward without extending my arm or using my left hand at all as there is a "wig wag" lever on the handlebars which suits me better than the delta type.

The only possible drawback I've found is if you are travelling forward and just release the accelerator an electronic brake comes into play automatically, which could be embarrassing if nipping along at full speed! Reassuring though when going downhill. I shall be bearing this in mind until I am more used to Bertie. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

PS The width is 50cms but seems wider because the centre of gravity is lower than with pavement machines. Turning circle is very impressive don't know the centimetres but I would say "on a sixpence!"
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The one thing I notice here re: all the people using Scooters is that here they're typically decked out with all manner of flags, storage baskets and sometimes even small pull alongs. Maybe it is cause people here are needing to use them to transport groceries etc.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

No, I still haven't got one. At the moment I am almost paralysed with sciatica, which is stopping me going far. I went out yesterday in the car but was really glad to get home again. I can hardly walk at all so I'm really having to think twice about moving at all. I can see a stair lift looming large on the horizon! :-(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Oh, Ruby bless you sciatica is soo painful. I do hope you get better soon, grab the chance of a stair chair if you can. :up