Audio books

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Audio books

Post by Grandad »

We have a spinster lady friend who, although having very good eyesight, listens to audio books from Amazon as a sleep inducer each evening.
A few weeks ago, for reasons I do not need to explain here, I purchased a second hand copy of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. We had watched the TV series and I was interested to see how that followed the original story.
The book runs to over 600 pages and is in small type which, after struggling with the first 20 pages I gave up and decided to try the audio version.
Started with this as a book at bedtime last night and so far I am enjoying the readers' presentation with good vocal interpretation for the different characters. It runs to 25 hours so that will see me to sleep for a few weeks. :lol:
Has anyone else tried audio books and if so, what are your views?

:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Audio books

Post by Kiya »

No... I've never tried the audio books but, I did enjoy the series on tv :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am always listening to audio books on my regular walks so I average about 2 hours listening per walk, some of my books are over 40 hours in length. I have 'Audible' on my mobile with a quantity of books downloaded to it, I have a single earpiece that connects by Wi-fi to my phone so I can walk and listen while still being aware of my surroundings.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have never yet tried an audible book. I've thought about them but just haven't gotten around to trying them. I get the option each time I buy a book on Amazon to purchase an audible edition and the $$ isn't that great. Maybe next book I will.

I never much thought about them as a 'go to sleep' strategy. For years when I had a TV with an auto off I'd go to bed turn on the news and I swear I never once got beyond the intro before I was asleep. Now I watch TV in the livingroom. Soon as I feel I'm start to nod off I do a stroll to the bedroom and just tend to fall asleep although having the TV was a definite sleep inducer for me.

Thinking on this - IF you're listening to a audio-book does it at some point auto shut off? Or do you have it on a timer to shut off and how do you pick up where you last listened to it?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL,I have not checked if there is a timer option but as I use a headset I am unlikely to fall asleep. If I used my ear buds it might be different :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yeah can see that wearing a headset would probably preclude falling asleep. Earbuds would lead to dozing. I actually never thought about headset or earbuds I was actually thinking more of just turning the sound on so I could listern from anywhere in the room.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I keep trying out audio books, but somehow they never grab me like the written word! Having said that, I have today listened to the audio book of 'Ladies of Letters', which was serialised on the radio some time ago. It was read by Patricia Routledge and Prunella Scales and was quite funny. I now have the second one to listen to.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think the reader of an audio book would make the world of difference too. I can imagine some people & voices would add an incredible amount to the story whilst other readers could/would put one to sleep.
bigken

Post by bigken »

I noticed back in Jan that Audible (think it's part of Amazon ) was offering 3 free books, 1 per month, so after my recent trip I got The Tattooist of Auschwitz, very easy listening whilst driving around. It's time for my last freebie so will have a look later,
Actually I did purchase The Hobbit to listen to off Google last year whilst chilling at the Red Sea, sure beat reading [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I get free books from Amazon often but I've never noticed FREE audible. Will have to keep an eye out.

Amazon.ca (Canada) is very poor. We don't half of what the US version offers hence the Canadian version of Amazon isn't very popular (or good) but the USA Amazon is excellent. Will watch as the idea of getting a book like "The Hobbit" quite appeals.