Spring Flowers

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Spring Flowers

Post by Grandad »

Spring Flowers
Nice bright morning so I went along to the village to see what spring flowers are around. I switched on my tracker app which recorded total distance 1.48 miles so you will see that the village is very close by. Maximum speed 5mph which is flat out for my little scooter. :lol:
After crossing a large 400 yard recreation field I come to the small village green where there is just a small clump of purple crocus and a few daffodils. None of the crocus that I found were yet fully in bloom.

I crossed the road, where you can see the lady with a push chair and a young boy in the previous picture, and made my way to the church that I have shown pictures of in the past. This was more rewarding with several picture opportunities.
This clump of snowdrops at the base of an old tree was first to catch my eye.
More snowdrops near the boundary wall. The stone scroll is an old headstone, next time I must take a snap of the inscription to see how old it is.
There is an area in the churchyard where there are small square areas with a memorial plaque. I guess they are where ashes have been buried of people who were cremated. Quite a nice idea and it takes up so little space within the chuchyard. I liked the contrast between the old, lichen covered headstone with snowdrops, and the memorial plate and flowers for Doreen Amy Rixon who died in 2014

Leaving the churchyard I made my way back towards the pedestrian crossing passing a large bed of daffodils in front of a row of alms houses.

Turning towards home from another direction there is another small village green area with crocuses but these are also not fully in bloom. They look very pretty in the grass nonetheless.

Back in time for coffee and my app recorded total time 52 minutes.... ;)

PS: Whoops, forgot to mention this sign.
It is in the garden of Ye Olde Beverlie pub. Bat and Trap is played in the garden in the summer. It is claimed that the game originated at the Olde Beverlie and that Bat and Trap is the for runner of cricket as we know it today. The pub dates from 1570 and the date 1698 on the sign refers to Shepherd Neame brewery which originated on that date and is the oldest brewery in the UK, based just about 7 miles away at Faversham.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Spring Flowers

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Showing off all the FLOWERS!!! :P :P

This is my front garden and the BEST I can absolutely do. Notice all the crocus, daffs and snowdrops - NOT :(

Am jealous you've got such lovely flowers and still in February too! :up :up :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I found this old film from the fifties of Bat and Trap being played at Ye Olde Beverlie, as it has been for centuries.Poor quality but you will see that it is a simple game and a good excuse for a get together for a few beers :lol:
phpBB [video]
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Can't say I've ever seen or even heard of that game but sounds like an interesting way to pass the time.