A NEW BOYS TOY

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

A NEW BOYS TOY

Post by Grandad »

I have expressed my views on the young peoples obsession with their mobile phones in the past. Our daughter and SiL are in their early fifties and both seem equally attached to their phones as the younger generation. However, having spent five days in their company over Christmas, I am coming round to accepting the value of 'smartphones' other than a social media device.
For example, my SiL booked and paid for taxis via his phone, checked us in for our flights and reserved our seats, transferred money to balance up out of pocket expenditure etc... They do use social media but I decided to upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy 3 which is a bit long in the tooth and have now got a Huawei P20, the mid range phone of the Huawei products.
It has a 5.8"screen, 128gb memory, 4gb ram, three cameras, fingerprint and face recognition to reduce the need for login pins and passwords, voice recognition on Google and many other features that I shall probably never use.
I transferred my sim from the old phone and have put a second sim that I had in the old phone just as a backup, totally unnecessary but that is ME.
So you may start to see posts with a signature 'From my Huawei P20' :lol:
Who needs a computer these days :lol: :lol:

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: A NEW BOYS TOY

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - your new "smart" phone sounds pretty interesting & I wish I was more cyber savvy - need somebody to explain the technology and all the features in simple layman terms to me.

I like the idea of it being able to recognize only your voice and thumb print, not sure how large 4gb really is and/or what a second SIM would do but I do know that many people seem very comfortable with their phones and use them almost as a natural extension of their arm.

The large screen on yours sounds pretty good too but THREE cameras? Why isn't one sufficient? (Again guess I need the technology explained :) )
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@lovelyladylux
As usual it came with a dozen or so pre loaded apps . I have spent some time today loading about another dozen that I use often. There is a front camera for selfies. The two rear cameras have different sensor sizes but I have not yet found out how they function.
I do like the voice sensor. So much quicker when Googling, no typing. So far I am very happy with my new toy. [emoji3]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I am now on my only toy (Kindle) however it is very slow to type on with the virtual keyboard. It has 1 camera facing me so for selfless. Have used it once. Can't say I am a selfie fan. This also has auto text (hate it)....the smart phone is something I really need to think about.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, I have just downloaded the pdf user manual. It runs to 150 pages.....why is life SO complicated. We have 2 controllers for our TV, one for the sound bar, and one remote for the lights around the room. Little wonder that my wife turns the air blue at times :lol: :lol:
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

You can probably download apps for those to use from your phone. Just to make your life even more confusing :lol:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

OMG BB Don't tell my wife that. She has enough trouble finding my number on her phone. "Thinks" Why did I give her my first smart phone???

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I concur with Mrs Grandad - WHY do all these new cyber things have to be so complex?

I must've been in the bathroom or sorting through the closet or somewhere when the rest of the world learned about and went cyber. It just doesn't come naturally to me. If shown I've got it but to give me a manual and think I'm going to figure it out just doesn't happen.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My Grandaughter not only got an iPhone 7 for Christmas but also a Smartwatch! Also a Sony EOS camera! She's 10! Makes me fear for future presents. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Whoa ....... 10? as in one year after 9? Geez - future presents would worry me too.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

In my opinion that is TOO much for a ten year old. Our youngest grandson will be 10 years old two weeks today. He has a junior ipad but his parents have to;d him that he will not have a smartphone until he moves up to secondary school. That will be in September 2020.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We felt our children had a pretty good life and needed to feel want when they were small. So if they expressed a desire for a particular toy for example, then they had to wait a few weeks before they got it. They never went without, but it's only fairly recently that the mother of my grandson said to me that she views me now in a very different light, as mother herself and not just a daughter.
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Yes, it IS too much but unfortunately it seems to be the price to be paid for only children with both parents working. :urm: My children had freedom to be as did we but most children today seem to be organized within an inch of their lives. Hence all the gadgets. C'est la vie!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - it does just seem to be 'C'est la vie' of how kids grow these days. My own Grandkids (twins +1) get LOTS on all holidays. They're the only kids of 2 sets of Grandparents and while my side is just me the other side is Grandparents, 2 sets of mature aunt/uncles, 2 or 3 other sets of Aunt/Uncles who all give gifts and I'm not counting what Santa brings. It is a pile.

I got them each a Kindle for kids a few years ago and they read on those. They could get out to the World Wide Web but they don't know that. They get to turn on and read but that is about all that is on the Kindles.

That being said this year the Daughter and Son-in-Law have re-organized their family room and they've bought but not yet installed (it is coming in the next couple months) a desk with bookcase so that they can set up a laptop. Their family room is visible from the main area of the house but not in the formal living room so they can then monitor and view what is going on on the laptop.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Louis is into Harry Potter books but he is reading them in hard copy

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Mostly the twins are still into reading books too. I'm collecting the Harry Potter books now and just got another one - title isn't immediately coming to mind but twins will be 9 end of this month and, am sure they'll be into Harry Potter soon.

I'm over the moon they're voracious readers so anything to keep them reading has been my motto.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My Grandaughter is a great reader; her reading age is 14. She has read all the Harry Potter books and loves them. She reads a mixture of hard copy books and also on her Kindle. She goes to Cubs once a week, swimming every week, also netball once a week. She comes to me fairly regularly on Saturday afternoons and we cook, sew, do some craftwork - or she dances! :D The latest thing is yoga and keep fit exercises specially for Nanny! I'm getting quite expert at the 'downward dog'! Daddy takes her ice skating when he can, fishing when she chooses to go, and long riverside walks regularly. I think she is what we would call an all-rounder.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - your Granddaughter sounds wonder and is truly an 'all rounder' ;) I always love to hear when children are doing a whole range of things vs sitting and just listening to music or blankly staring at a computer screen. If their minds don't get out of cyber world makes me wonder how they will ultimately do once they are living in the real world OR if they actually WILL really "live" in the real world.

I quite enjoy exposing the Grandkids to lots of different venues. You never know which one will actually click for them.

My adult daughters will now never let me live down when they were little girls and I bought us tickets for four concerts called "Rising Stars, Shining Stars." Back then there wasn't much really arrive for local theatrical entertainment and I wanted them to go to the Theater and enjoy however the Rising Stars were in a word AWFUL! And, of course, I insisted we sit through ALL different 4 performances. I bought the tickets and we were going. The worst was a man playing classical guitar and playing probably the most obscure music ever written. It was bad and to this day they still chide me at making us go and then sitting through those 4 awful concerts.
bigken

Post by bigken »

Nice phone GD, does the P20 have the Leica camera on the back ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

bigken wrote:Nice phone GD, does the P20 have the Leica camera on the back
Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
@bigken
Yes BK, from the P20 up Huawei use Leica for all three cameras. This has a selfie at the front and two cameras at the rear. I have not yet worked out how the rear cameras work but I believe one is for portrait format and the other for landscape but I haven't confirmed that yet. The manual runs to 150 pages :(