A new hobby for the coming year.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

A new hobby for the coming year.

Post by Mad Dilys »

An unexpected Christmas gift from my daughter was a couple of packets of blank greetings cards and envelopes. I've never made cards but I think I'll try it.

While I was musing about what and how to embellish the cards I thought of lino cuts. I haven't done any since I was at school, but if I use them for the cards it is a justifiable waste of time. :lol:

Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: A new hobby for the coming year.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I tried making lino-cuts a while ago and quite enjoyed the class. Some of the people in the class made some phenomenal ones. One fellow made a geometric pattern that was perfect. Very intricate and detailed. I think lino-cuts would be terrific for making cards too.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

For a while now I've been thinking of new hobbies I can take up. I love to be doing something in the evenings which is prime TV watching time for me but so far I haven't found anything much I can do fairly mindlessly in my chair while watching a movie. I can knit & crochet and do do that - maybe I just need more patterns for something different as I'm pretty bored with this right now.

Made 3 quilts for the grandkids for Christmas and have the top of another one almost finished but sewing seems to strike me afternoons if I'm just wandering about here.

Off and on over the years I've tried painting (never watercolour) but am thinking I need the proper area to paint in and I do lack a spot I can mess up and leave and I've never really been that good at it.

I thought about taking up adult colouring but that doesn't really appeal too much.

Embroidery? Hmmmm - used to, probably still can - will have to think on what I'd like to embroider.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, have you looked at embroidery machines? :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - no I never have. I love things that are embroidered but have never checked out a machine that does it. About the only thing I've ever considered is getting a long arm that could be programmed to quilt but haven't ever seriously looked at an actual machine.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

A longarm with computer is about £20,000 over here. £10,000 of that is the price of the computer! They take a fair amount of learning too. Embroidery machines can be used to quilt blocks too - did you know that? As for card making, I used to make them years ago, and fill the apertures with embroideries done on the machine, or cross stitch designs.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - that is about the same price range here.

The in machine to have here are Berninas and they start for the most basic of basics around $5000 here and then go UP astronomically from there. I don't own a Bernina but from what I can see of them (I get daily to weekly advert emails from the shop I bought my sewing machine at which features & specializing in selling Berninas) they do everything.

Here there are only 2 sewing shops. The one that sells Berninas has a fabric store plus a teaching area and they put out a calendar every 6 months of all the classes they offer. I'd guess that over half of the classes are put on by Reps from Bernina showing the latest technique (if you buy the latest gadget), what it does, how it does it blah blah blah. I've always been impressed with the entire variety of classes that Bernina does offer to those who have their machines and as I said it is the IN machine here to have.

For me sewing is nothing more than a hobby so I couldn't justify the cost of one of these either. Space in this house is also a consideration and I'm not totally sure I'm actually smart enough to figure out how to use one. I learn anything really easily and well IF I'm shown - BUT - if you give me a manual and think I'll be able to figure it out from there (isn't going to happen). Show me, let me do it and I've got it but other ways other than that and it doesn't compute.

I really do love quilts though. They're the BEST. I can sew clothes but I don't. I can think of tons of pillow covers I could make or quilts or afghans.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, I have a couple of Berninas and they (mostly) knock my other machines into a cocked hat! You really can't beat them for technology and their sturdy build. Have you thought about buying a used machine? You love making quilts so instead of a new machine, how about quilt designing software? Just a thought! :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

How times have changed! When I was about 15/16 yrs old I was chosen along with 3 other girls to demonstrate the new Singer sewing machine that had all kinds of embroidery options in the Singer shop at the weekend. It was a huge advance for domestic appliances.
My mother had only just converted her hand operated machine to electric. :lol: :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My memories of using a Singer Sewing machine go back to me learning on my Grandmothers old treadle sewing machine which was a Singer. I managed to sew the end of one finger when I was about 10 or so and learning. Wasn't pleasant but that old treadle machine would sew through anything.

I always had used sewing machines over the years but about 3 or 4 yrs prior to retiring I decided to buy a new sewing machine so researched and then bought 'on sale' a Singer - (can't remember the specs now but it was for quilting, had lots of features) for about $500 reduced from $1000 on a close out of a store. It was very heavy duty and, I thought, wonderful.

As I was still working I didn't use it much and then once settled here I started to sew and the experience was awful as I couldn't seem to sew a straight line of fabric without it pulling the fabric. Thought it was me and went through about 3 years of absolute hell with me buying a new Evenfeed/Walking Foot, trying different things - was really pulling my hair out. Finally took a class (again figuring I was the problem) and lo and behold even the instructor couldn't get my machine to sew. Their Tech guy came in and announced my bottom feed dogs were not straight and it was part of how the machine was built. AGHHHHHHH!!! Although it was rather cathartic to know it wasn't ME I was so disappointed I had a NEW machine that was a lemon. Was fairly had to take apart so nobody else could find it and use it or re-sell it but I did dispose of it.

Now I have a Janome. It is sewing well although here there are no classes for it by Janome. Wouldhave loved a Bernina but they start at double ++ what I paid. Don't think I've ever really seen a second hand Bernina for sale here that isn't already 25 yrs old. Nobody sells them and if they do I'm sure it would be a stampede to buy it. I DO look but am not holding my breath I'd find one (but I totally hear what you're saying).

What I really would love is somebody who has a Janome same as mine to show me all the things it does as am sure it can do lots more than I'm aware it does.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've had two Janomes. The older one was an 8000, which is on long term loan to my DIL, along with stacks of embroidery cassettes; the other one was a Janome 8900 which was only a couple of years old. That was a quilting machine with the longer throat, but I sold it during the Summer - because DH bought me a longarm!!! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Janome I just bought was new. I was so frustrated with the LEMON :x and the Janome machines were on a very decent sale that also included a sewing table fitted to them. It has a longish throat and I can fit without too much difficulty a twin bed size quilt. I really have tried a larger size quilt but I think a queen size would be difficult.

I'm enjoying it but the elite of the quilt world from what I can see are Berninas and the level of support the Company offers in terms of making sure the Owners know what ever button & foot is for is very high.

I WAS going to go to a general "Free Motion Quilting" workshop but, of course, it was the exact same day/date/time as the Granddaughters first Highland Dance recital so missed the quilting. I've tried free motion quilting and my biggest problem is jerking the material making a long stitch. I can't seem to smoothly move the fabric smoothly creating stitches all the same length. Also I'm a bit pattern challenged even if I'm just stippling along. Seem to want to block me back into a corner and end up making a "V" pattern with the stitches when I move to change direction. I think it all just takes practice and I have just sandwiched 3 placemats I'll ultimately make for the twins +1 and will practice patterns on them.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, Google Leah Day 365 quilting designs or YouTube them. Watching someone actually doing it might help you.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Will do. I find Utube is my friend and I do typically turn to it whenever I need a reminder or how to do something (the last being how to FIX the broken latch on my microwave. Excellent tutorial on fixing a simple latch).

I've watched quite a few "Missouri Star" quilting tutorials. The lady "Jenny" typically explains clearly different quilting patterns and techniques.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I learned how to get bees to produce propolis in a way easy to collect on You Tube. Fascinating channel.

I love propolis honey, but quite hard to get here.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - not sure what type of honey that is and now you've added something else for me to Google! ;) ;) (but I truly don't mind so long as I'm learning something new I've never heard of before.)

I do quite like that Channel. Just watched the first "Leah Day 365 quilting designs" clip - mostly a book of lots of designs and how to get them.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Out in Ibiza there's an old couple who have a little stall from time to time in the street market. That's where I first got Propolis honey, their bees scour the mountains for herbal flowers in season - the sage honey in particular is lovely. They sell very small pots of honey too, ideal for tourists as well as local to try.

My daughter is keen to keep bees, so I think for her birthday this year I will buy her a hive and a bee keeping course. She too lives under the lee of the mountain, and has a very large roof area which would separate the bees from her dogs. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think if I had the time and the space I would give bee keeping a try. Bees and their hives somewhat fascinate me.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, have you ever tried a knitting machine as a hobby? Given your climate, I would think it would be very useful. :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

By the way, I definitely would not give her the actual bees ………… my bee keeping Uncle who I used to help whenever I could always said "If you really think you know enough to start keeping bees - just study them for another year before you actually begin." ;)