Never stop learning!

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Never stop learning!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Over the last couple of years, Aldi have been selling cheap fat quarters, and this has caused a lot of grief with some of the ladies on my quilting group. Some turn their noses up and other moan because their local branches of Aldi sell out before they can get there. A few months ago, Aldi really pushed the buttons by selling 12 fat quarters for £7.99! Anyway, I acquired some and set myself a challenge to make a quilt from just one pack. The photos above are the result from one pack, so with a bed sheet bought in a sale for £3; wadding I already had, and half a metre or so of the cheapest black cotton fabric ever, this quilt has cost no more than £15! The view of the back is showing some free motion quilting for LLL. :D

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Never stop learning!

Post by Horus »

I wish I understood what it was all about, you lost me at Fat Quarters, :lol: but I must say that even with my lack of knowledge it looks very good. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Me too! Fat quarters - I don't care what they are in this instance (as I have two of my own) but such a wonderful term :lol: :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gorgeous RS and that is super cheap for fat quarters. Here, if you can even find them, they're about $3 each however I do buy them in the States for $.97each at Walmart. They're ok but the assortment doesn't really vary very much or change too often.

Your free motion quilting is beautiful too. I've tried it a couple times but I'm not a natural at it and have a real hard time getting an easy speed going and being able to shove the material around easily on the machine. Practice is what I need but I also need to see somebody else do it and then watch me to give me pointers re: How to.

I do do the sheet backing though. With the price of cottons here being $25/yard and now that our 1 Fabric store will be locking its doors for the last time Nov 21st I tend to use sheets as backing. Cottons here are incredible cheaper in the States BUT I have to go there and hope to find in one or two days all what I'm looking for and as I don't usually go on weekends (Sale days) I usually have to pay full price so the cost is less but there is still an exchange on the dollar and then finding what I'm looking for so good cotton sheets have become my go to.

Beautiful though. :up :up :up :up :up That is really an excellent price to Aldo to be offering them at.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I couldn't ignore it any longer and turned to Google, who as usual had the answer:-

In quilting fat quarters are a popular way for patchworkers to purchase fabric. ... They are taken from one yard of fabric,cut in half lengthwise,and then in half width-wise. The dimensions are approximately 18" x 22" (46cm x 56cm). A normal quarter yard cut from a bolt would measure 44" x 9" (112cm x 23cm).

Oh, doesn't Google help. Kids today don't know how lucky they are. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah so now I get it :!: its a 1/4 yard, but cut from a 1/2 a yard, so that way you can get 4off 9" squares of cloth with a bit left over, :up but from an normal 1/4 yard you can only get ................... er 4off 9" squares of cloth with a bit left over :tk
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

The quilt is lovely and in all the colours my daughter loves in her bedroom :)

Any chance on selling it to me RS ??
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya wrote:The quilt is lovely and in all the colours my daughter loves in her bedroom :)

Any chance on selling it to me RS ??
It is a very desirable item Kiya and many people would I am sure love to own one, perhaps if its spoken for RS may do you a special commission ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Kiya, it's only a single size, unfortunately. This and the other one are practice pieces, for me to get a bit better at free motion quilting. If it was a double, you could have had it willingly. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - this is a PRACTICE piece?!!!

OMG IF IF IF I made that I'd be putting into the Smithsonian Museum as a priceless HEIRLOOM piece!!!! Personally I'd be happy if I could do anything other than straight stitch and I see it as a huge bonus when I do get the STITCH in the DITCH for more than an INCH! ;)

Your quilts are magnificent!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, you are really and truly far too kind! Honestly! I've never had such a fulsome compliment before! :oops: Many thanks, but it really IS a practice piece. I'm hoping to improve a lot over the next year so watch this space, hopefully! :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok RS .....if you ever you do a double in these colours I would be very happy to buy it from you to give to my daughter, these colours have been her favourites for years :)

I think your work on these quilts are beautiful and you should be so proud :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think your work on these quilts are beautiful and you should be so proud :)
I agree and I know nothing about it :up