What's Grandad got to talk about?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What's Grandad got to talk about?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:bar3: WOO HOO!!!! :bar3:

:bar3: EXCELLENT :bar3:

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

:d1: :wave: :hug:

Great news, Grandad! The best! Take it easy now and don't strain that eye!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

When I left the clinic on Saturday I was given a list of do's and dont's, eye drops and the procedure for the next 4 weeks, and 6 Acetazolamide tablets to be taken at 8am and 3pm for the next three days. I was feeling nauseous this morning and as I did not have these tablets last time I checked them out on Wiki. Among their side effects they can make you feel nauseous but among their primary uses are the treatment of glaucoma and in reducing intraocular pressure after surgery.
So full marks to Mr Syed Haider, who I saw on Saturday, for prescribing a very appropriate short course of drugs. I will just have to put up with feeling slightly sick for another day......

The world is looking bright and clear again :up :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - your comments re: nausea made me recall a discussion I once had back in the day whereby it was determined that the feeling people don't like and fear the most is nausea. Beat out dizzy. Good it is only for 3 days.

As for that drug I've never heard of it before myself but am always amazed or intrigued when I hear of medications and how they can be so chemically specific to one function only in our bodies.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Very glad to hear the op went well Grandad :D Take care of yourself and hopefully the nausea will stop soon. Would eating something plain with the tablet help?
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

Excellent news Grandad. As Fran suggested, maybe take the tablets with a little food

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

FAB and BB, it is good to see you around. The nausea has now passed. I only had tablets for three days which I guess was a precaution against increased eye pressure and possible increase in the glaucoma in that eye.
BTW, is France your new permanent home or do you plan to overwinter in Luxor?
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

Grandad, we still plan to overwinter in Luxor. Late October to beginning of April is scheduled for this winter.
Last winter in France while I was having my medical treatment was pretty nasty as we had one of the worst winters on record! As it cools now my joints are beginning to ache. We definitely need the warm dry Luxor Winter climate.
France is just the job for our Summers though.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Glad the nausea has passed Grandad. Stay well & hopefully we will be back on here more regularly to keep an eye on you, life got in the way recently :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All good here now FB, I was even able to put a new battery in a watch today. Just over a week ago I couldn't see the damn watch :lol: :lol:

Had a new sound bar delivered today. You may remember that I have tried several and not been impressed, even a mid price Bose so they all went back. We got a new TV a couple of months ago and as the set is SO slim it is little wonder that the sound was cr*p.
The TV is a Samsung and I found a deal for a Samsung soundbar at John Lewis. It was released as a new model a year ago at £700. I am sure Samsung want to clear stock and this is offered at £379 with £100 cashback after 30 days. That will end up less than some of the cheaper ones that I tried. It is superb and there is no way that this one will be going back. :up :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way cool re: soundbar. I really hate dealing with electronics because I don't really understand them and sometimes once you get whatever the purchase home often doesn't live up to the description or specifications (or maybe I never know how to hook anything up successfully either). Good you finally got your soundbar.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Best thing I ever did was to get one for my Smart TV, improved things no end.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Being now able to get out on the scooter without the risk of injuring pedestrians, ;) I checked on Google maps for somewhere to go in the city, that I had not visited recently, to tell you about. We have several very good smallish museums in the city and The Roman Museum stood out as a suitable destination and as I have a free residents pass that is where I went.
In June 1942 Canterbury sustained extensive damage during the Baedeker Raids by the German Luftwaffe. This is one of the worst hit areas, St Georges Street at the south end of the main street.
During clearance and excavation work in cellars under former shops, archaeologists found parts of a very large Roman town house. It had costly features like underfloor heating, mosaic floors, wall paintings and a suite of baths. It was built around AD70 and ceased use around AD350 not long before the Romans departed from England.
Many years ago when the mosaics were first available to the public, I remember going down well below street level and walking around a simple wooden boardwalk just above the relics. When reconstruction of the blitzed buildings took place, a subterranean museum was created which I had not visited until today. It is accessed from Butchery Lane, one of the oldest lanes in the city
I must say I was very impressed with what the council did to preserve the relics and all the finds and to make it available to residents and tourists. :up
This well lit and well displayed museum tells the story of the city from the time the Romans arrived to the blitz and the archaeological discovery. Artists impressions show how the early settlement on the river might have looked.
Another impression circa AD150 shows how the city was built up by the Romans, much of this impression is supported by other finds around the city.
Regrettably we didn't learn from the Romans and as their buildings fell into disrepair we used the materials for our own purposes. The present street level is at least 3 metres higher than the Roman villas floor, the result of building on top of the debris from earlier buildings, over the centuries. :(
What remains of the villa floors with remnants of mosaic, is now viewed through glass panels that make taking photos difficult. Also it is not very well lit. :(
This mosaic was found in the cellar of a nearby house in1868.
These are some of the many cabinets displaying finds from this site and others in the city and they are excellent. The second picture is of Roman silver ingots and silver spoons that I thought were beautiful and I would love to own one.
There are several displays of traders and artisans, I particularly liked this one of the Bone Pin maker. The examples in the cabinet are actual bone pins found in another excavation.
At the end of the 'walk through' there is an area where kids can handle actual relics and dress up with replica Roman armour and Togas. Great way to finish for kids who may have found it boring. :up
We have quite a lot of street entertainers; there was a very good 4 piece jazz band playing under a tree further up the street but the light was too dark for a picture. I did snap this man playing that weirdest of instruments, the Hurdy-Gurdy. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very nice Grandad and intersting with all the Roman remains, I love visiting such places. Did you notice how Roman spoons had points for picking stuff up with by spearing?
By the way the Roma armour is technically called 'Lorica Segmentata' (the latin spelling maybe not correct ;) )
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I love the Hands On Area sign. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Grandad, A fantastic place & interesting to visit, who needs to go abroad with places

like that on our door step.

I noticed the spoon handles as well as Horus, I thought not much there to hold on to, but,

makes sense now after reading Horus' post the points for picking up food.

Great the children could dress up at the end :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I do agree Kiya, we have so much history throughout the UK in particular from the time of the Romans and the Normans and on through the industrial period. I am always intrigued by the depth to which the archaeologists have to dig to reach the level of historical interest. The centre of most old cities will have a higher street level than in times gone by as illustrated by my account of the Roman museum.
I have posted these pictures before but in our main street we have what is known as the pilgrims hospital. Hospital in this context meaning a refuge for travelers and pilgrims to the city. It is 12th century and even in that relatively short time you can see how the street level has raised so that now the entrance is quite low requiring steps down when originally you could walk straight in off the street.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think that's where Simon Reeve stayed a while back, Grandad. He was walking the Camino de Santiago trail.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You see a similar thing in York with the Roman and Viking levels being well below ground. :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

And look at the beautiful window designs :)