Part 3 of our trip to The Emirate

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Part 3 of our trip to The Emirate

Post by Grandad »

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) All pictures 'borrowed' from the web.
Most people know of Dubai as somwhere hot to take a holiday in the sun. I think it fair to say that many would be unable to pinpoint Dubai on the globe or to know that it is just one of the seven Emirates that make up the UAE, the others being Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah, Al Ain, Ajman, and Umn Al Quwain. Actually they take up most of the small peninsular to the south west of the Arabian Gulf. The remaining land area is part of Oman. Here is a picture of Dubai in 1950 and another in 2016 showing how this young country has developed
Until the 1960's the UAE was a British protectorate but due to the cost, Britain decided to withdraw its protection and in 1971 the independent Federation of United Arab Emirates was founded with its capital in Abu Dhabi. Oil and gas were found in the 60's so from the start the UAE had internal natural wealth.
This wealth allowed The Emirates to build a major road network and buildings the likes of which you will rarely see elsewhere around the world. In Dubai they have built the Burg Khalifa, tallest building in the world. Everywhere is air conditioned, there is an indoor ski slope with real snow in Dubai when outside temperatures can reach 50 degrees. There has been much reclamation from the sea including two palm islands on which there are hotels and residences. They have what is considered the number one seven star hotel in the world, The Burg Al Arab accessed by an underwater tunnel. Anything is possible in The Emirates, particularly in Dubai.
But all this comes at a cost. There are around 9 million people living in The Emirates of which approximately 15% are Emiratis, the men in the white Dishdashers and their wives in black. They are fiercely conservative and it is virtually impossible to become a naturalised Emirati. Of the 85% immigrant and ex pat population some, a very small proportion, have done well in business particularly people from India. a high proportion of the remainder are construction workers mostly from India and Pakistan. These are the people who actually build all the skyscraper blocks but are treated no better than slaves. Their accommodation is appalling, they are not allowed to strike or form a workers union, they recieve minimal pay and their passports are taken from them until their pre arranged leave period. Last time I heard was that only if the outside temperature reached 48 degrees could they stop work.
So with all the glitz and glamour around the coastal areas, there are real human rights issues behind the scenes.
As a holiday destination The Emirates are very good. High quality hotels and accommodation, first class service, best time to go October to April.
A few general scenes around Dubai including one of the Palm Islands, Marina beach and lofty appartment blocks

A downside is that they are expensive as a holiday destination but I would say you get what you pay for. We have now been six times to four of the seven Emirates. We won't be going again but have enjoyed watching this country grow over the last twenty or so years. But you must behave yourself, amputation is still a penalty under Sharia law.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Part 3 of our trip to The Emirate

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting photos Grandad showing the development. I always love seeing the photo of the huge palm tree built out into the water.

Last Sunday I had a pub brekkie with friends (husband/wife) and they're going to Dubai on a travel deal they got costing $1500 each flight included (from New York so they do have to get across Canada) for 1 week stay in Dubai in September. They haven't gone and it will be a long flight but they're quite excited to go.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

All interesting facts with lovely pics. :)

Amazing to see how the place has developed over the years

I remember watching a program a few years ago now showing how the workers were treated, living conditions & very low wages, really felt for them.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
That is an amazing price LLL. I thought I got a good deal, British Airways World Traveller Plus, 8 nights R & B in 4.5 star hotel including transfers. £2177 total for the two of us. Problem is, with all our health issues, insurance was £296 :xx
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Really interesting account, Grandad, but not for me! The UAE always strikes me as a huge pleasure dome on the surface, but with a dark underbelly. I can't imagine being allowed to get close to the local people, and the human interaction is a necessary part of any trip to me. Still, as long as you both enjoyed it and you came back refreshed, it served its purpose.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I tend to be with RS on this one, although I am sure it was a lovely holiday for Grandad and Mrs G and as Grandad says they just went for a sunshine break to recharge Mrs G batteries, I am afraid it is not for me either. Hotel based beach type holidays are my worst nightmare, I have to have something more that attracts me to the place, usually of a historic or cultural nature and I am afraid that fancy shops and glitter do not really appeal to me at all. Having said that I know people who love going to such places and they really enjoy their holiday, so like everything in life its a case of personal preferences, always nice to hear others accounts though.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

This may sound strange but I totally agree with you both. We would much prefer to go somewhere that we could explore but as we both have quite serious sight problems and I can't walk more than about 100 meters we have to do things within our capabilities.
In past years we have been to many exotic places, and as RS says, got the locals.
But RS it really is only Dubai that is garish and over priced. Resorts further north like RAK and Al Ain are much more pleasant and subdued but if you have never been to any it is difficult for you to accept. As I said most people have only heard of Dubai and judge all the Emirates on that one which is solely tourist targeted.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I can well undertstand your reasoning behind that choice of destination considering your situation, it is just on a personal basis I would not enjoy such a location, a bit like Australia which never appeals to me.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Oz has never appealed to me either H.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus, my husband's family live in Australia - well, half of them. The other half are in Canada! :lol: I always said that Australia didn't appeal to me, which didn't really matter in the days when it would have cost the earth to go there, especially with children, so my sons grew up never really knowing their paternal grandmother, aunts, uncle or cousins. Then back in 1998, mother-in-law decided that she would like to see her eldest son again after 25 years, so the offer came to us to go for a month and her partner would pay for our trip. My thinking was that it wouldn't be fair to deny my husband the chance to see his mother and brother and sisters again so we went. To my utter shock, I loved Australia!! Such a beautiful country with varieties of wildlife and scenery like I've never seen! We went back in 2000 and I came back to the UK vowing never to set foot in Australia again until my MIL was dead!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mother in law problems RS? Was she THAT bad? ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I used to love going to Trinidad as it had absolutely NO tourists at all. It was just lovely little villages each with its own unique character and history. The weather was almost always good and you could really suck up (for lack of another descriptive word) the culture but now due to political instability and crime rates going through the roof complete with roving gangs I'm not going there again.

Now I opt for Puerto Vallarta which is a destination very much like Luxor - an entire city whose economy is based on tourism so it really isn't REAL Mexico but it is warm, friendly, easy to avoid the tourist markets yet get out and enjoy art galleries, beach walks, sunshine and warmth (and the language issues are not too difficult either). There isn't lots of culture to really pick up but it is only 4 hours away via direct flight so easy to get to.

Personally I'd much prefer going to more exotic locations but since it is ME going alone with all the lifting and toting and carrying I'm into easy and relaxing so Mexico r us now. Matter of fact I've already book to go back spring 2019 for 5 weeks.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Your post made me laugh RS, was she really that bad? :lol: :lol:
I to have relatives in Australia and my cousin often askes me to visit and so does my aunt, but it honestly does not appeal at all.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My mother in law was a bitch of the first water! She had a massive stroke six months after our last visit and died six years later. But we adored her partner, which is why we booked to go again in 2000. Unfortunately, he died approx three weeks before we got there. :cry: DH's family live in Western Australia, around Perth, but I have a sister-in-law, nephew and niece in Brisbane who I haven't seen since 1971 so maybe it's time to pay another visit. If you have the offer, you should go, Horus! It's a photographers paradise so do it while you can. Grandad might find it a bit too strenuous with his disabilities but you should go if you can.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My brothers second wife has a son who lives in Brisbane. My brother and his wife spend 6 months each year in a bungalow they bought at The Gap Brisbane. Unfortunately we had a falling out some years ago otherwise there may have been an invitation to visit. But could we put up with his loopy second wife? I think not :lol: :lol: