Rubbing salt in the wound

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Rubbing salt in the wound

Post by Grandad »

Of the many cars I have had in my life many have been medium size family cars and a few, since I retired, have been small 'city' cars. But the best of all has been the little Toyota iQ that I parted with yesterday and, as it now lives in Birmingham, I thought it unlikely that I would see it again.
Not to be because the new owners must be happy with their purchase and sent a picture of the lady this morning off on the school run. And that rubbed a bit of salt in the wound. :(

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Rubbing salt in the wound

Post by Horus »

Think of it as a re-homed pet Grandad that has gone to a good home. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely car and the new Owner definitely look very happy to have it.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Just perfect for the school runs :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It's so tiny! Is it a Smartcar, Grandad?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:It's so tiny! Is it a Smartcar, Grandad?
You do know that Grandad wears a little pointy hat with a bell on it Ruby? :lol: :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Whoops! So sorry! It was mentioned in another post that it is a Toyota! My excuse is that I didn't sleep well last night and got up at 3.15am, so I'm beginning to flag now! :zz
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Whoops! So sorry! It was mentioned in another post that it is a Toyota! My excuse is that I didn't sleep well last night and got up at 3.15am, so I'm beginning to flag now! :zz
Get your head down for an hour RS ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Would that I could, Horus! :( I get really irritated at my inability to nod off in a chair like DH does, but it just doesn't happen for me. I will stick it out until about 9.30 - 10.00pm, then read for half an hour or so in bed, then hopefully sleep until at least 6am in the morning. Fingers crossed! :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote:It's so tiny! Is it a Smartcar, Grandad?
@Ruby Slippers RS it was actually NOT a tiny car. The front end was as big as a normal family saloon and taller than most. I had to fold the mirrors to get it into the garage. It actually has 4 seats, the Smart only has 2 seats, except the Smart 4. To illustrate; my sister called yesterday to go shopping with my wife. I had a 10.30 appointment at the hospital and she offered to take me. She has a Beema that I describe as 'The Hearse', horrible car. There is more room in the front of the iQ than in her Beema and you sit much higher.

Had it not been for the events, I would have been very happy to keep the iQ until I drop. ;) :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Don't scold me, Grandad! You know I don't drive so if someone asks me to describe a car, it would be 'a blue one' or a 'red one' etc! :lol: All a car means to me is a shopping trolley on wheels! Although, having said that, there was one time in my life many years ago when I DID see a car that I really loved, so asked DH to buy one, which he did. It was a Citroen Familiale.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Not scolding RS but if you saw an iQ and a Smart for 2 side by side you would know what I mean. ;) The iQ was designed specifically for the Japanese market and built in Japan. It was over engineered for its purpose and a special version was available badged 'Aston Martin Cygnet' which retailed at over £30,000 in 2010. Crazy what people will spend when money is no object. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Question for you (no pressure to answer if it is too personal) ..... Did you stop driving because of eye sight deterioration OR because of mobility whereby it is too difficult to get into and out of a low vehicle?

If it was because getting in and out of a low car was difficult have you given any thought to getting a small truck? The seats are definitely higher which makes being able to enter and exit somewhat easier than struggling to get out of a car.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux I like to think of our small group on here as friends so your question is not personal. I have been quite open about my own medical problems, certainly not seeking sympathy, we take what life throws at us, but more about our NHS and MY experiences of the treatmen that both myself and my wife have received.

As for the car, both my sister and a neice have BMW's and I have a real problem getting in and out of them, and so does my wife, because they are so low and you are almost sitting on the floor. With the iQ I could swing my legs out and stand up because the seats are much higher, so no problem there.

The only problem, after changing to an automatic car, was my sight. I have told you that my right eye is blind. I had the cateract removed a couple of months ago but that didn't help as much as I had hoped. After the problem with my left eye in February I hardly drove at all and did not drive for more than the last three months. I was clutching at straws in the hope that the eye would recover enough to meet the minimum driving standards, but after 5 injections, it has not. The consultant told me that even if the early cataract in that eye was removed, the onset of dry AMD will affect my central vision and my VA will not improve, it will in fact decline.

By law I should have told the DVLA (our Government motoring department) that I had had treatment to my eyes. They would have required a retest which I know I would fail. So I took the decision to stop driving permanently and to sell my much loved little (or not SO little) car. It is just a change of circumstances that we are adjusting to and now use taxi's, public transport, and the family to get around.

No big deal, we just need to adjust as long as life goes on. ;) :up :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I kinda thought and figured even when asking that it was your vision but thought I'd ask re: truck as I know my former father in law opted for a truck in his early 80ies because he simply could not get into or out of a car due to most being so much lower than a truck.

Onward and upward though :)