A Favourite Place.......Batemans the former home of Rudyard

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

A Favourite Place.......Batemans the former home of Rudyard

Post by Grandad »

I posted this on another forum and thought it might be of interest to you.......

We have been members of The National Trust for many years. In south east England The Trust owns and manages a wide variety of property from country houses and their gardens to stately homes; from small cottages to castles and a light house.
We have visited most over the years but some have a special appeal and through repeated visits have become favourites. One such is Batemans, the former home of Rudyard Kipling, set in lovely Sussex countryside at Burwash. What appeals to me about Batemans is the feeling, when you tour the rooms and garden, that this was a 'real' family home. It has a certain warmth about the place.
Add to that the fact that there is a working flour mill that they operate for visitors in the afternoon, and in the garage there is Kiplings 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 with the bill of sale dated 11 July 1928 for £2,833-18-6d.
I have put together a small selection of my pictures as a slideshow to whet your appetite should you ever be in East Sussex......

phpBB [video]

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: A Favourite Place.......Batemans the former home of Rudy

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gorgeous! :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Great photos, Grandad! He certainly wasn't short of a few bob, was he? :D
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Wow! It's a beautiful looking place :)

Love all the interior with the weathered look & Mrs G seems to suit the place quite well :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very interesting Grandad and as I think I have mentioned before he derived his name from a local beauty spot only a short drive away from me.

Quote from Wiki:
“John Lockwood and Alice had met in 1863 and courted at Rudyard Lake in Rudyard, Staffordshire, England. They married, and moved to India in 1865. They had been so moved by the beauty of the Rudyard Lake area that when their first child was born they referenced it when naming him”.

I refer to this in particular because Rudyard Lake is very close to a town called Leek in the Staffordshire Moorlands and it is typical of small more remote towns of yesteryear where a number of family names would be prominent. I doubt that it has any connection to the house name you mentioned of Bateman’s, (unless of course he gave it that name) but that surname is very common in the Leek area although I cannot find any actual Kipling family connection to it, so no doubt it is just a coincidence.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes I do remember Horus. I think the name is probably a coincidence because as far as I know, it has been Batemans from when it was built in the 17th century. It is a favourite with me because it is such a peaceful and warm family home.
I understand there is a visitors book in the house. Kipling must have been a bit of a joker because against some names he has added the letters FI (I think that is correct) meaning that the visitor 'Fell In' the pond. Suspicion has it that there may have been a little 'nudge' :lol: Fortunately that lily pond is very shallow so nobody came to grief. :lol:
:gg: