Colourising Black & White Images

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Colourising Black & White Images

Post by Horus »

Here is something I came across for you photography buffs.
I reckon that we have all tried at some time to colourize an old Black & White image and try to guess what the original colours would have been, well here’s an answer.

This bit of software has been developed that claims to use special algorithms to detect the original colours from a Black & White image by detect various things such as textures etc.

Here is the link if you want to try it:
http://demos.algorithmia.com/colorize-photos/ and upload an image to try

If that doesn't work then go to:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/photograph ... and-white/

NOTE : By clicking on the above link it will take you to their official site. Once there scroll down below the information to where it says “the early version is available to colorize any image from a URL and even download the results.”

Click on that text and it will take you to their test site and you can upload your own Black & White image by clicking on the empty image window and telling it where to locate the image on your PC in the usual way and clicking ‘open’
After a short while the rendered image will show up on the screen (a bit lower down). (It's all free to do)
You will see a purple bar in the centre, just slide the bar across to see the coloured image that it detects, it is far from perfect, but it does a pretty good guess and a good start if you are trying to get the original colours and drop it into another editing program to spend more time on it.
You have the option of saving your coloured copy by clicking on the ‘Save Colorized image’ tab and telling it what to do.

Now here are two examples that I tried:
This one was taken at Chester Zoo (by myself) and shows the rest of the gang with Mrs H on the left. All the girls were wearing Leopard skin coats (fake) as was the in thing at the time and although not perfect it is not a bad attempt and I have done nothing to any of the images.

The second is a very shy little lad taken a very long time ago and probably comes close to the original colours although my hair was much darker (I think?)

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Colourising Black & White Images

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus, what a wonderful programme! It's a long way from the old 'hand tinting' that I remember from 50 odd years ago. I'm not into photography as you know, but I can definitely see the advantages for all groups of researchers, particularly genealogists. You've done a good job on those photos. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks RS, but really I did very little, the program did everything itself in just a few seconds and the images shown here are exactly as they came out without any tinkering from me. Although I am sure that with such a good start on the coloures, especially around the head and face, I know I could improve on them a little more if I took my time and used the 'coloured' image in another program afterwards. :up

Edit: I just tried another old B & W image taken at a New Years dance about 45 years ago and to my amazement the colours of my wife’s evening dress which was multicoloured with lots of swirls and patterns in Reds, Pinks, Blacks etc. came out exactly as I remembered it looked all those years ago. :up I have layered the B&W one over the coloured image and erased some of it to show the difference, but believe me those colours are pretty good.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you for sharing both the programme and the lovely pictures of your family, it took me back to very happy memories. I was very moved. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

PS I love your pullover, a lot of love, as well as skill went into making that!
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Two of my elder brothers with our dog Laddie taken many many moons ago.

Ok it's not exact colours as I remember, especially stonework of house in the background but, we can see the difference from b/w

7899 7900
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:D Yes the old cardigan and the Hitler haircut, :lol: it was probably second hand MD, we were all raggy arsed kids in them days, ;) thank goodness I was not wearing a knitted Balaclava. :o
I agree it can sometimes be very emotional looking at old photographs especially when there are people missing from them now and looking back at what we were as children can whisk you back in time and place bringing even more memories flooding back.

Kiya that doesn’t look too bad at all, :up the brothers and the dog look pretty good and the image couild be easily cleaned up a bit more. I suppose we have to remember that it is just a BETA version and should get better if other software designers get involved with the program, glad you gave it a try. ;)