Grandads Garden Wildlife - The 2015 Season

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Grandads Garden Wildlife - The 2015 Season

Post by Mad Dilys »

This thread makes me very nostalgic. When we had a smallholding of about 13 acres we had a fox earth in a huge old redundant rabbit warren.

I often wondered if it was disease that killed the rabbits or whether a passing fox thought it was a good restaurant.

The hunt had never been allowed on the land although they did try once in the 20 odd years I was there. :x

I've walked my bounds and glanced back to find I was being closely followed by a fox quite often and once by a beautiful big stoat.

We were overrun with voles - they were everywhere. After the snow had covered the fields for a long time if it was a slow melt the voles extensive tunnels under the snow were revealed.

I had about 200metres of river which had fed 6 mills before it got to us, so was more of a stream really, though it had a name. There were bank voles and when we first went there Dippers.

I saw a vole squeezing the water out of his fur, on the opposite bank. So did one of the swans who tried to give him a bit of and enquiring nibble. The little vole launched an attack and drove the swan away with a flea in his ear.

Those fields were not cut or fertilised, just grazed by a variety of animals and supported such a lot of wildlife.

It was a lovely place, though the house was horrible. :D

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Lovely vivd memories MD. :up

Wildlife is another of our 'things' on here. We are all waiting for LLL to get a picture of her Hummers (humming birds) but they won't stop still and pose for her. ;) :lol:

I am a little disappointed at present because I think the last of our albino squirells has died. :( We have had at least one albino continuously for around 20 years, I have an old picture of four on the bank at the back of my house at the same time.

I have enjoyed our foxes for many years and If I see any mange, I get the treatment for them. Having said that, and this may be controversial, I am pro fox hunting and believe long standing country persuits should not become political hot potatoes. :tk
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mmm, not so sure about the fox hunting thing Grandad :urm: I have no objection to a farmer giving one a quick end with a shotgun if its becoming a problem, but a load of hurray Henry's chasing it with dogs and then ripping it to pieces does not quite fit my thoughts on wildlife control. Its a bit like gassing Badgers to control TB, all that they are doing is potentially eradicating a healthy badger set only to allow what may be TB carrying Badgers to move into the vacant territory, it must be easier to just vacinate the cattle. :ni:
Nice memories of your smallholding MD and you were very lucky to have those water voles, getting quite rare nowadays :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I am neither for or against hunting with hounds.

I thought it was nice to have an oasis in the middle of hundreds of acres of agribusiness where life was more natural. I had a small holding, all my animal and birds - with the exception of the rabbits who were kept in colonies in big sheds with plenty of room to move around - ran free and mixed together at least during the day. It worked for me anyway.

In support of hunting with hounds rather than a weapon, the victim is either killed fairly quickly or gets away.

In the veterinary practice I saw the results of other forms of "control" - very long painful recovery at best.

By the way, I'm always surprised at how many "sportsmen" accidentally shoot their own beloved dogs.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

P.S. Totally agree with you Horus about badgers.

Also I'm of the opinion that originally the people who looked after the cows before TB vaccination gave the cows TB.

The cows with their slimy muzzles and method of grazing spread the disease on the grass and badgers snuffling for worms became infected.

No cows no badgers with TB. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I also agree on the badger issue, vaccinate the cows. vaccine is available so why not use it. And would'nt that mean that the badger TB problem would eventually be eradicated.

Horus, the hounds kill a fox almost instantly. A poor shotgun wounding and the poor creature may suffer for weeks before dying. The hounds might pull it apart afterwards but the kill is quick. As for 'Hooray Henrys' most of them are farming folk, quite wealthy maybe, but what is wrong with wealth? Do we all have to be equal?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No we don't have to all be equal, but neither does that give any sector of the community permission to behave in a way that most people find repulsive. To my mind anyone who derives pleasure from chasing down a wild animal and tearing it to pieces with a pack of hounds needs serious counselling. I find any sort of unnecessary animal cruelty abhorrent, but I am sure we will never agree on this one and neither will you convince me differently, so best just to agree to disagree :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm getting ready for those hummers and actually orders and got delivered to the USA another hummingbird feeder. Will be taking it back and getting set up for summer and the hummers.

Your place MD sounded like your own corner of paradise. Really nice and would have been lovely to have and enjoy.

I definitely hope Grandad that there is at least 1 albino squirrel left. The were beautiful and just unique. Your Momma fox definitely is nursing kits. Hope she has a mate but she is looking pretty skookum to be caring for young 'uns herself.

As for fox hunting - I was under the impression that nowadays it is more the scent of a fox that is followed. The scent is put onto a rag or carcass or something and then pre-dragged over a set course. The hounds do chase it and the riders follow but in the end there really is no kill. Maybe I'm thinking about here but I've thought that in those few areas that might have a Hunt there was no longer live bait and a real fox was basically replaced by a fake or inanimate one.

I think, and am pretty sure on this, if a real live fox was used absolutely every Animal Rights group in the country would be up in arms and chanting down the place.

Are you sure they're really using LIVE foxes in hunts?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

And - BTW - I also ordered to be delivered here 5 hummingbird tube feeders & stoppers. I've, so far, got 2 hand blown glass containers that I'm going to fill with nectar and hang from the Japanese maples trees when I get home.

@MD - informally we kinda compete as to who gets the most wildlife and most interesting photos. I live now by a marsh and Eco Park out the backyard I can see from my back deck and while this is my first year in this house I was very pleased to see the marsh host a flock of swans earlier this year, geese now and a variety of ducks. I get humming birds coming to the house all the time and am intent on getting some good photos of them in flight hovering by the feeders.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've been thinking seriously about this hunting thing.

I seem to have had a mental block about the human followers of the chase.

I knew hunt servants as decent country neighbours who adored their hounds and terriers and lived to see them do the job they were bred for.

The last thing they wanted was to eliminate foxes. Some said their way made sure the Fox population stayed strong and healthy.

If I hear hounds running (baying as they chase) I get a shiver......... I often used to see a pack working the hills with just a couple of horsemen with them .......... the teamwork of the pack as they follow the scent was amazing. Very often I could see the Fox trotting off several fields away apparently unconcerned.

I have never seen a kill.

In my experience wild animals react to present danger. I've watched hares being hunted by beagles give them the slip then sitting up for a good look round, cleaning their whiskers and start to graze with the sound of the hounds in the distance.

I would never ever tell huntsmen which way a hare or fox had gone. I have only once been asked.

I knew no one who enjoyed the actual kill any more than I know any Vet who gets a kick out of ending an animals life with an injection.

My father supplied us with meat during rationing with his gun. Yet I remember him bringing home an injured Teal that he found on the marsh and nursing it back to health.

Hmm. I shall do a lot of thinking about this. :urm:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes LLL, up until a ban came into effect they would hunt a wild fox and if successful, kill it by being ripped apart by a pack of hounds, we are not talking here about a single dog making a quick kill, but something more akin to a pack of Hyenas biting and snapping at a cornered exhausted animal. Let us look at the facts here, in nature the fox would not encounter these conditions, it is just another form of hunting and nothing less, anyone happy with this should not object to Snow Leopards, Tigers, Elephants, Pandas, Whales, Dolphins or even our own Badgers and Hares being hunted for pleasure.
There are documented cases of Hunts actually digging out fox earths and saving the fox to release at a later date during a hunt and even rearing fox cubs for the same purpose.

Even today when this form of hunting is banned (by popular demand) many hunts will flaunt the law by for example having a bird of prey with the hunt as this article from the Guardian describes:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/nov/ ... icalliving

In many cases these hunts disregard other peoples property in their desire to kill the animal and many household pets have been savaged or killed by the hounds in pursuit.
phpBB [video]

And if anyone wants an example of a “Huray Henry” then here they are.
phpBB [video]

I have no time at all for these selfish sicko's who in years gone by would have considered Bear baiting a rural pastime. 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I too have actually been thinking on this topic quite a bit since reading it

Having owned a horse there is nothing more exhilarating than going for a gallop with your friends across the country side. Never participated in a hunt and don't believe I've ever seen one. My sense is that there seems to be an extremely unfair advantage to the fox to be chased and chased to exhaustion to then be attacked by dogs. I also get that in years gone by 'we' (society we) participated in these type of activities as we really were not thinking too much about the victim and possibly it was practical to keep the predators down to ensure the safety of the chicken coop. Nowadays cause we have a different sense of morality re: life of animals, conservations etc etc etc and because we actually have different mechanisms in place to do things ie. we can now scent a rag or whatever and drag it across the countryside and still achieve the same outcome of a fox & hounds chase. I would have never thought people today would think to cheat on this and still be using live foxes.

Guess I don't understand the thrill associated with seeing a live living animal ripped apart especially when there is no need to do this. Maybe the blue bloods engaging in this (ahem) sport are so far removed from the day to day modern world they're still living in the past.

I know, on the Island, particularly Gold River (small west coast village on west coast of the island and original home to cougar territory) lots of people keep what they call cougar hounds. These dog will start to bay if they get a whiff of a cougar which then means 1) school stops recess 2) parents go to the school to pick up their kids and 3) kids don't play outside alone. I know that the police and conservation authorities will take the hounds to track the mountain lions and tree them so they can be tranquilized and then relocated out of the area. IF, unfortunately, the cat keeps coming back and poses any sort of threat (usually old ones) it will be put down but the big difference is the hounds only chase it up a tree and all it takes is 2 dogs to get a cougar to run. A single dog they might attack but 2 dogs even Annie size and they run. I think the hound aspect comes in as they're breed to run long distances following a scent and bark and bay as they go.

Guess I'm saying I can see a practical aspect to using hounds to chase a prey that poses a safety risk but I can't see using a pack of hounds to chase down a small fox. IF the proverbial fox is getting into the proverbial chicken house then I say trap it and move it OR get better locks on the chicken coop door!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL. these hunts have nothing to do with controlling Foxes, they are held on a regular basis and the objective is to flush out a fox, persue it with hounds and then kill it. The irony is that if those hounds came through Grandad's garden and came across that vixen feeding then they would rip it apart and those so called huntsman would make no attempt to stop it. Foxes are territorial so you kill one fox and another moves into the vacant lot, so they are really doing nothing in the way of control, that is just an excuse for their existance. 8)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We will beg to differ on foxhunts Horus.

But sitting outside at 7.30pm waiting for Mrs Fox to come down, I was rewarded on three counts. First it was MR Fox who came and was undeterred by my presence just a few feet from the food. Didn't get a picture because I did not want to scare him on first encounter. :lol:

Second, I saw that bluetits had taken up tenancy in the box beneath the sophit of my workshop. Good choice, well protected. :lol:

And finally as dusk closed in I was seranaded by a blackbird singing its heart out on the TV aerial. Spring is definitely here. :up

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great to see that the Bluetits have taken up residency Grandad, mine seemed to have failed me this year :(
I love to hear the Blackbirds singing in the evening and have you ever tried imitating them? keep repeating their song by wistling it back and they will try to out sing you. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Awe lovely....the Bluetits are so beautiful & colourful :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I love to hear the Blackbirds singing in the evening and have you ever tried imitating them? keep repeating their song by wistling it back and they will try to out sing you. ;)
Never tried that H but will this evening If I get serenaded again. :lol: The blackbird has such a strong and distinctive song. Just hope the students next door aren't looking out of their windows seeing some old bloke on a bench doing a Doctor Dolittle :lol: :lol: ( Fortunately they all finished their courses last Friday so have gone home to revise for their finals and complete their final submissions)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I wouldn't worry too much grandad, I do it all the time :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mrs Fox is becoming more confident and early yesterday evening came to sit on the warm bank waiting for her supper and having a break from the cubs. :lol:

Still hoping to get a picture of dad but he is not much in evidence. Hope he hasn't deserted the family. :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Nice pic of Mrs Fox :) hope Mr Fox shows face too soon :)