GRANDADS WILDLIFE CORNER cont'd

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: GRANDADS WILDLIFE CORNER cont'd

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was put on my first horse (big pony) when I was 3 and never looked back 'til at 17 I got dragged down a dirt road by my foot stuck in the stirrup and ended up in hospital for a week or so. I think my head bounced off every rock on the road and talk about road rash - OMG my back was a mess AND the horse was gone when I returned which abruptly ended MY days of wild rides. My parents never once thought about banning ALL horseback riding, never blamed anybody (other than me) for what happened.

Likewise I continually fell on the ice when I skated but nobody ever called for a ban on ice skates and one summer when I was about 14 or 15 I'd decided to return to nature and refused to wear shoes all summer. I had to walk to school and by the time I got to school (mile or so - a walk that never killed me in all types of weather) I had huge blisters on my feet. Who was to blame? ME!!!!

I'm not saying this kid who fell off the swing did anything but NOBODY else did either! Far too often these days something happens and everybody looks for somebody else to blame (and sue).

I don't shove my grandkids out there, ignore them for hours whilst allowing them to rove unsupervised but if they do fall down or stumble the best task it to give them a 'geez that must've of hurt but you'll be good in a minute, a hug and then let them carry on' ........... Far too often parents these days are trying to create a totally sterile environment for their kids and the kids never really learn NOT to touch a burning flame.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ditto Grandad & LLL, far too much mamby pamby attitude nowadays and kids cannot be kids anymore and of course it is always someone else's fault.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Back to the wildlife thing ;)
One of my grandsons went shooting rabbits last evening at dusk. He only got one which he gave to us because his mum does not like rabbit (TBH she has never actually tried it) :lol:
Anyhow, I was going to gut and skin it this morning but realising it was quite young and not very meaty, I put it out at dusk this evening for the foxes. In five minutes it had gone......they know where to hang about :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Feeding your foxes rabbit!! WOW!! Rabbit is delicious. Personally I love it (but do agree a young one isn't really very meaty).

One of the very first business enterprises I ever started was raising rabbits. My dad made me 4 rabbit hutches with brood boxes and another really long run. I had a buck and 4 does. New Zealand whites. I knew about Flemish Giants but I was only 9 or 10-ish and couldn't really acquire any. I was able to breed my does and grow the babies to 5 pounds at which time I sold them to an Italian man. I don't quite know what this man did with my rabbits but I knew they were slaughtered eventually and used for people food. I believe he paid me $2 per rabbit and the entire key was that I had to get the rabbits up to 5 pounds.

Anyway Grandad you definitely know how to keep your (ahem) pets ;) well fed! :P :P
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Very little happening on the wildlife front. One of the albino squirrels is about and looking very fat and healthy….could be pregnant. I have also seen one of the dog foxes after dusk, probably from this years cubs and also looking magnificent in his winter coat. Too dark for pictures I’m afraid.

But there is a strange little story that I am inclined to share. I normally keep an old pair of deck shoes under the porch outside the backdoor for when I go outside or fill the feeders. I kept the shoes lightly tied so I could just slip them on. A few weeks ago I went to put the shoes on and found that one of the leather laces (that had been tied) was missing. I thought it might be a squirrel having fun and I just cut the other lace in two and used the halves to just tie the shoes so I could still slip into them. (I will get to the point, bear with me :) )
A few days ago I went to put on the shoes and both were missing. I went round to my workshop on my slippers and found one of the shoes near the door…..minus its lace. I looked around but could not find the other shoe. So, I think it most likely that the foxes have taken the missing one and have a penchant for leather laces……. :ni:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Cute story about the laces. I can't think of anything other than the foxes that would have taken them either.

Pretty quiet for the most part on the wildlife front here. I'm feeding the hummers and they're totally funny to watch. There is one (and I don't know if it is the same one) who has taken to sitting guard on the feeder. Whenever another one arrives he chases them away BUT whilst he is gone others arrive!

I actually have 2 feeders going out there so there is plenty of nectar for them to share all 'round.

I haven't gotten the seed feeders up and going. I need to take the 2 mesh ones with me to the Wild Bird Food store and talk to the fellow to see which seeds are best suited to them. Need to get some hangers going too so I can hang the feeders.

Haven't seen the quail since I returned but the arbutus tree is full of birds eating the orange seeds. Will definitely have more going by spring.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As my little dog loves the small rawhide chews I am suspecting that either the foxes or the cubs are doing the same and having a good old chew on your laces Grandad. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:As my little dog loves the small rawhide chews I am suspecting that either the foxes or the cubs are doing the same and having a good old chew on your laces Grandad. ;)
I don't mind the laces H, just wish they would bring the shoes back... but the shoes were leather so perhaps they have chewed the lot. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think you might find your "sandals" come spring Grandad! :lol: :D :lol:

Am betting the little guys are having a real good chew.

We had an alert go out yesterday that there is a young bear coming into people's yards and hitting their garbage cans. This will cause his own demise if he persists. There is a theory here that once a garbage bear always a garbage bear and I don't know that Conservation will go to the cost of trying to trap him (or her), relocate only to have him or her return in a few months to feast again upon the leftovers that have found their way to our cans.

Our City has a very active recycle program so everybody does put out all veggie scraps, meat scraps etc. This makes the green cans an absolute magnet to bears. Haven't seen the alert of this prowler go away yet so presumably he is still around.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Sandals LLL? I might be getting on but I am not yet into sandals. ATL's yes, 2 pairs, but sandals defo NO! :lol:

The shoes were actually boaters and I am inclined to think that Horus is on the right track with those dog chews perhaps being rather similar.

But back to sandals. If you wear them LLL, I bet they don't have laces... ;) ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Actually my reference to sandals was that the cubs would chew out the toes and heels and make all sorts of holes in your shoes which would essentially turning them into sandals ;) IF you find 'em.

I do wear sandals and nope no laces - just lots of straps.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LLL Far too subtle for me :lol: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

No problem! Am sure your foxes are very well cared for sandwiches and all! :) x8) x:) x:mrgreen:

I'm quite enjoying feeding my hummingbirds who definitely seem to love the daily supply of nectar during these freezing time. One little fat guy seems to like to set and guard the feeder and he definitely has no qualms about chasing all others away nor does he hardly wait to buzz my hands first thing in the morning when I hang the feeders out (otherwise they're frozen solid).
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Only one thing missing LLL......pictures ;) I have never seen hummers I but think they are fascinating little birds.