KINNAIRD HEAD CASTLE/LIGHTHOUSE

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

KINNAIRD HEAD CASTLE/LIGHTHOUSE

Post by Kiya »

After a grey wet start to the day finally sun & blue skies start to show, we decided to go for a drive & landed here at the museum of lighthouses in Fraserburgh seventeen miles up the coast or I should say around the corner & lies on the shoulder of Scotland.

I didn't know till now that the lighthouse was once a castle built in the 16th century, that excited me even more as some of you know I'm always in the look out for the odd ghost :o
I took a few from different angles to give you an idea of size & height of the building

Once we had seen all around the lighthouse bit by bit with a pull & a shove up the winding stone stairs we reach the top.....now..... not having a head for heights I was asked if I would like to go outside & walk around the lighthouse, for a moment I froze looking at the little wooden door he was about to open, of course I let Roy & the keeper go first & once I got my bearings I had too if I wanted to get more photos.

My legs were shaking for a while but with a few big breaths I started slowly step by step around taking photos over looking part of the town-Fraserburgh & part of the harbour & the museum.

Also from this height I could see the light which is used today, it is a disappointment to see compared to the old built into one of the castle turrets, also the foghorn & the large stone circle....I'm not sure what the circle was

The stone tower to the right of the old lighthouse is a three storey building known as the " wine tower " and believed to be part of the castle............it is here that the laird of the castle many years ago locked up his daughter's boyfriend in the cave below & he drowned, sometime later the lairds daughter climbed to the roof of the tower & jumped, if you look closely you will see where her blood splattered body lay on the rocks below.........today they mark the spot with red paint.

Inside the museum I took some of the glass lenses used over the years

This one is still in full working order, I took it from each floor where you can see the brass mechanism work & from below
and from underneath

Moving from room to room this fellow gave me a bit of a start when I opened the door & there he was staring at me or is it a bit of a smirk

Some more from inside

From outside the cement poles for the fishermen to mend nets, I don't think they are used nowadays by the look of them

And lastly the beautiful stonework in which the museum is built with, I took a few of these, one never know's when I'll need some stone texture for other work.

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: KINNAIRD HEAD CASTLE/LIGHTHOUSE

Post by Jayway »

LOVELY photos, Kiya, what am interesting day out. I love the stonework photo, best I have seen lately. Around here there is nothing fancy like that. Were you able to look out of the castle windows, go in all the rooms? No. 1 from the roof, is that solar panels? in Scotland ? :lol: :lol: :lol: Thankyou for pointing out the blood . ha ha ha ----
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

At last, the weather is improving and well done Kiya for getting out and taking some pictures and telling us about your trip. :up

A super set of pictures and a nice narrative to explain it all. It has been a long time since we had such a nice and interesting post...you have cheered me up today :lol:

I like all the pictures but I particularly like the ones of the lenses because they are things that I find both beautiful and technically brilliant. I have some from our local Dungeness Lighthouse that are among my own favorite pictures.

With all the history of that place it would have bben good to find a ghost :lol: perhaps you can add one ;)

Lovely post and well done with all the pictures.....
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Excellent little potted history Kiya :br: and some great images, I am sure that Grandad will point out the sloping horizon on No1, but I am not going to comment :lol: :lol:
You were very brave in going out on the platform to get your piccies especially if you are scared of heights :up but it did give you some great shots around the area. I just love the little touch of putting a great splash of red paint on the rocks to indicate the position of the splattered body :lol: :lol: Overall you seem to have had a really enjoyable day out so thanks for sharing that with us, it made for a nice read before getting my dinner ready. I tell you something though, I would not want to be near that fog horn when it went off :o nice to see that the two large air receivers are still intact so they must still sound it on occasions.

Ooh forgot to say that stone texture is really nice, so definately save it for future use :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am sure that Grandad will point out the sloping horizon on No1, but I am not going to comment :lol: :lol:
Hadn't even noticed H and just had another look and still can't see it???? Your eyes OK mate? ;) :lol: Or, perhaps it's mine. :(

Hope you don't mind Kiya but I liked your picture of the concrete posts but to me they looked like people and reminded me of Antony Gormleys, Another Place, on Crosby beach. I changed it to B & W and made it very dramatic....what do you think? ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: @Grandad, I was of course being incredibly picky for a joke, but saying as you asked, here are two images, the bottom one is straightened. :up

Check out the green lines and the movement of the scarab in the bottom image ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@ Horus :lol: I hadn't looked too closely at the entrance picture and I took your mention of 'horizon' literally and looked at all the seascapes...Doh! :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ah got you now Horus, I was thinking the same lines as Grandad :)

Another stone pillar 4583

We did get into every room & saw out the windows, you'll notice the little round one high up in the photos, it was very nice looking out from there.
Although you can still see the castle as the original building it was made very homely by the keepers of the lighthouse with their personal things around them.
The smaller attached building attached to the castle is the homes of the keepers & their wives & family.

Grandad some more lenses although not very good taken in doors

Yes I do like the B/W...........it would look haunting if you added a ghostly figure here :o

PS It is supposed to be haunted around the " Wine Tower " :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Totally fantastic presentation Kiya. Makes me feel like I was there. Really terrific!! AND I thought all the photos were great and didn't notice the 1/32nd of a mm the first photo might have been out! ;) ;) :) ;)

I love all the photos of the lens myself. They're super interesting. Also saw the picture of the fog horn. MOST of my life I've lived closed enough to water to hear the horn going off and on during foggy and inclement weather times.

Am sure all the photos of the stone pillars will come in handy as backdrops for some of your other photos but also interesting too. Stonework always fascinates me.

Good you had a really nice clear blue sky day for your outing too! :up :up :up Thank you so much for sharing your interesting day!! :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That stonework is really nice, very well finished, a very dramatic sky on the second new image Kiya, have you done a bit of HDR on that one :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus ......No fooling you eh :) yip I set the camera to AEB for all the outdoor photos, once they were loaded in PM I found most of them didn't need any more alterations.

Your eyes must be better than mine as I already straightened No 1 photo :o ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Your eyes must be better than mine as I already straightened No 1 photo :o ;)
It's the Engineers eye Kiya, I can spot a 1 degree deviation at a thousand yards ;) :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh Horus....wish I had your eyes at times taking photos across the sea from my window's, maybe then I could have a straight horizon without adjusting it later :) ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Geez I have a hard time seeing a 45 degree variation! Being able to spot a 1 degree is definite training!

Still terrific photos Kiya!! :) :) :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh Horus....wish I had your eyes at times
I bet you don't Kiya, I have had cataracts removed from both of them :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Looking back at the original photo I was more concentrating on the two benches trying to have them equally balanced :) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And ............... that's your excuse and your sticking with it. :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

:lol: :lol: ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Try as I might I typically end up with photos that are not aligned. I have to confess I end up relying on Picasa to straighten them out afterwards.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Try as I might I typically end up with photos that are not aligned. I have to confess I end up relying on Picasa to straighten them out afterwards.
To be honest most of us do ;) even though my camera has a built in level in the viewfinder I still have to straighten most of them :)