THE SHARD, A NEW VISITOR ATTRACTION FOR LONDON

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

THE SHARD, A NEW VISITOR ATTRACTION FOR LONDON

Post by Grandad »

The View From The Shard

In recent years the skyline of London has slowly changed with the construction of many new and unique building designs which contrast with the older buildings, memorials and dozens of churches in the city. Canary Wharf was one of the first although Canary Wharf is the area but often confused with ‘One Canada Square’, the tallest building at the centre of Canary Wharf.

30 Mary Axe, better known as ‘The Gherkin’ drew much criticism for its modern design amidst so many older buildings in the city but now blends nicely as other tall buildings have risen, and are still rising around it.

The latest stunning addition to the skyline is 32 London Bridge Street, ‘The Shard’. This is a 310 metre high pillar of glass designed to represent an enormous glass shard; and it is very successful in doing so. It is currently the tallest building in Europe. Not yet completely fitted out but from the design stage it was always intended that it should include an observation floor with the best views across London and beyond. The highest habitable floor is the 72nd at 244 metres and that is the upper viewing floor and partially open to the elements. Above is just a steel structure, partly glazed, with service floors 73 to 95 tapering up to the 310 metre peak.

We took the train to London Bridge station yesterday for our pre-booked and timed entry at 13.00. Admission is limited but once at the top you can stay as long as you like. There is to be a restaurant but that will not be opened until 6 May. We picked a good day but it was a little hazy so you could not see anything like the 40 miles that is possible on a very clear day. But the views are spectacular. Speaking to a couple who were comparing it to the view from the Empire State Building, they said they preferred the randomness of the London street layout compared to the blocks of New York. It is true, it is a very mixed up view and as the Thames winds so much you can easily forget which direction you are facing. But it is most enjoyable looking for all the landmarks amongst the patchwork below.

This is going to be a prime visitor attraction but it is quite expensive at £24.95 per person. For that you get first class attention by the staff who are obviously well trained in hospitality, the high speed lifts have lift attendants, and there are staff present on floors 69 and 72, the viewing floors, to assist with any questions. The exit is, of course, through the gift shop but that is very tasteful with a wide range of gifts and souvenirs of very good quality, although with London price tags.

I would certainly recommend The Shard as a place to visit if you are taking a break in London. Here is quite a large selection of photos to give you a flavour of our visit.

My First View of The Shard…..One of the Friendly Staff…..The Observatory Floor 69

3712 3713 3714

Towards London Eye and Westminster…..Looking Down on Southwark Cathedral…..Across to St Pauls and The City of London

3715 3716 3717

High Rise around the Gherkin…..London Bridge and The City of London…..Looking Down on City Pier

3718 3719 3720

The Pool of London with HMS Belfast, The Tower of London, Tower Bridge.....Tower Bridge and City Hall…..Upper Observation Floor 72

3721 3722 3723

…..Short Pano from London Eye to The City of London.....Window Cleaners :up .....Extending Boom and 3 Man Service Team Cradle

3724 3725 3726

Service Team at 244 metres.....Skyward from floor 72…..View from St Thomas Street with Bus Stop and many South London Boroughs Listed

3727 3728 3729

Difficult photography conditions with haze and glass reflections. I held the lens hood against the glass as often as possible and I have tweaked the sharpness a bit on most of these pictures.

It Is Well Worth A Visit To THE VIEW FROM THE SHARD :up

:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: THE SHARD, A NEW VISITOR ATTRACTION FOR LONDON

Post by Kiya »

Fantastic photos/views & info of London, I've always wanted to visit London & see some sights but I hear from friends its very expensive :o

I don't know how these men work at such heights I'd be all in a spin :?

London Bridge etc etc don't look so big when looking down on them ;)
bigken

Post by bigken »

Top photos Grandad, are these taken with your X10 ? Did the building have lifts or did you have to use the stairs :)

Here's a couple of The Shard taken from the cheap seats

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes, the X10 BK and I am loving it :up But don't let Horus know I said that ;) I still had the pics in the camera this afternoon and ran all that I took on the TV via HDMI. I was most impressed to see them in HD and they are far better than the resized copies uploaded to the forum. I will not desert the Nikon because I have a place in my picture taking for both but the Fuji compliments the Nikon very well.

There are lifts in the Shard but you go up by the stairs and down in the lift..........NOT! :lol: :lol:

Looks as if you did a river trip? Another very good visitor experience.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Shard is definitely replicative of a piece of broken glass - superb! Saw the ferris wheel in one photo - didn't look nearly as big and imposing now.

Terrific photos Grandad........love the way the city never ends and the landscape becomes nothing but building after building fading off into the distance. Wonder how far mile-wise or kilometer-wise you photo actually goes? London is truly huge and the view from the Shard shows this.

In the photo where you say Tower Bridge and City Hall - is the city hall the round building that looks like it got pushed off kilter? I found that building to have an interesting look to it too.

When you were up that high did you feel any movement in the building? Was it totally rock solid or did you get a teeny weeny sense of sway? Just curious...
bigken

Post by bigken »

Tv - HDMI very modern, no boat trip Grandad, they where taken by the Obelisk on the Embankment
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Thankyou Grandad, thats saved me a trip - :up . The viewing deck 72, is it open at the corner to the wind? Really scary, NOT a trip for me, I would be crawling on the floor in fear . . :sk
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sorry not replied sooner, (painting new fence panels) Another excellent series of images Grandad and that little X10 is really living up to its reputation. I can only imagine how good they all look when shown on an LED TV using the HDMI transfer, I often view mine like that and the detail is incredible and unfortunately forums rarely show images very well. You did well considering all the glass you had to shoot through and the zoom capabilities look adequate for a small camera, liked the candid shots of the workmen. Like everything in London the price is a bit steep at near on £25 to go up a building, but I suppose it keeps the riff raff out :lol: I have no problem with the price as Mrs H would not go up there anyway you would need to sedate her first, two pairs of thick socks and she would get dizzy. :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for all your nice comments folks about our visit to The Shard and my pictures. :up I can assure you they look stunning on a big HD screen.

@LLL. Yes it looks like a slightly squashed golf ball and is home to The Greater London Authority, Mayor Boris Johnson and his staff of around 600. It looks very impressive from the river. This is a picture from June 2011

As regards any feeling of movement, there really was none and it was quite windy outside. The men in the cradle had anemometers and were measuring windspeed amongst other tasks.

@BK. "TV and HDMI very modern" Cheeky begger :lol:

@Jayway. The corners are open Jay but there is a glass screen up to about 2 metres.

And yes Horus, it is an expensive ride in a lift to the top of a building. But London is expensive, even the open top buses are now £30 for the day, used to be £12 not so long ago. Buses are good for getting around especially if you have a pensioners free bus pass. :lol: But the centre of London is well within walking distance for all the main points of interest and theatreland.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is pretty pricey but would be worth it for the trip + view + making a day of it all.

Interesting building that sort of semi round one - I like it much better in this last photo. This one really shows the beauty of the design (first one made it look like a circle that got pushed to the side)

I was in London last in 1970. Bet it has changed a tad since then.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

1970 LLL? You would certainly see a difference . All the gas lights have gone in the streets now.......they have the new electriicity :)
You could always stopover for a few nights on your way to Tunisia ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yes I was only ever in London city once as a tourist doing the sights and it was way back when in 1970.

As a trivia statistic did they happen to tell you how thick the glass windows were on the Shard? Am thinking and betting they're really really thick. And are they fibreglass? Vinyl? Glass?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It is clad in a specially designed low iron glass LLL which is virtually clear with no tint. The floors up to 65 have sealed triple glazed units. Above that is single glass. I didn't measure it :lol: but I guess it is at least an inch thick. There are a total of 11,000 glass panels covering the building.
I have just read that between 25 and 50 panels have been found to have minor installation damage, such as scratches, (nothing dangerous apparently) and they are to be replaced over the coming months. Nice little abseiling job for somebody :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Lovely photos, Grandad, but I'll pass on a visit! I absolutely loathe and detest London - and I suffer from vertigo! :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote: but I'll pass on a visit! I absolutely loathe and detest London :lol:
That's pretty strong stuff RS? What's up with London? One of the greatest cities in the world IMO......

There is SO much to see and do :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One inch glass is pretty thick. Low iron? I think I have low iron too! ;) It always amazes me as to what scientists come up and how inventions and discoveries are applied to things we use, how we live.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm just a typical 'country bumpkin' Grandad! :lol: I've mentioned before I think, I live in my own little world most of the time. I hate crowds and crowded places! I don't even go shopping locally unless I'm forced to go and get something sewing related - and even then, I go, get what I need and come home. I'm also (unusually for a woman) not a window shopper. The internet is a boon to me! :D