GIMP DISCUSSIONS

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: GIMP DISCUSSIONS

Post by Horus »

I wouldn't take too much notice of my colour perception Kiya, it is notoriously bad :lol: If Mrs H sent me for a Beige scarf I would be gone for days ;)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh dear as bad as that huh!!!!!.............I wouldn't worry if I remember rightly I messed about with brightness/hue ;)

Another one I've done from memory without looking at my tutorial................always pays to check beforehand that artificial flowers aint so good :urm:

Forgot to say using the Mask Layer.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That is an excellent job Kiya it looks really good and you are certainly getting into your stride now. So just to keep you going I have just added another tutorial that will compliment what you have learned already, so this should give you loads of different methods to mix and match to achieve all sorts of results and should keep you busy for a little while. You can Colour Pop some images, save them first and then try out some edge efects ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I've had some fun doing the Popping, Layer mask & Quick mask etc etc :)

Can you show how to collage in Gimp as you did in your last Tutorial.........pleaseeeeeeee :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

By collage do you mean the way I posted the group of 4 images in 1 ?
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes the 4 in 1 :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, have a look in the Tutorials thread I have posted the instructions in there. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok I'm just printing it now ......Thanks :)

It looks complicated :( I'm already in trouble with my images all different sizes :? :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

OK because my pics are all different sizes I havent got it right :( but I went through the Tutorial for Collage, I copied & scaled my pics to near all the same size but I must have got my NEW size wrong :o at the beginning.

Looking at it the white background on New isn't so good if you have white borders like in my bottom right pic but I 'm sure we could change the background colour :?:

I seemed to have done a lot of Popping as you see in each pic...oh well I was practising ;)

I've done a bit of all the last few Tutorials in each pic & my favourite is the " pencils "

Will have to remember in the future to have my pics all the same size :) & because I had plenty room I added the middle pic to fill the gap.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Youv'e done a pretty good job there Kiya and all your practicing is paying off, I like the pencils as well ;)
What you need to do now is to practice re-sizing some pictures so that they are all the same, or at least find some that you took with the same camera as they should all be the same size and then adjust them by following the tutorial and save them on your PC. After that start with a new blank image as shown in the tutorial by multiplying your width and height by two and then see if you can put four images together, I would not worry if they are any good or if they match, just use them to make one image out of four as I have described.

Then if you are really good I may show you how to make one like this: ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well I at last got round to playing with some of the tricks and tweaks from Horus's tutorials. :)

My aim was to take a world map and put a picture on it from each, or at least some, of the countries I have visited. I couldn't find a particularly suitable map so used a poor one and did the colour popping thing to highlight the countries.

I took a random picture from my file for each country, added a frame, and curled a few corners or rotated. Lots of intermediate layer merging to do all that. I added a blind just for the hell of it :) Then added a two colour border.

I am not very happy with the result but it was a good exercise in some of the techniques and I can assure you there was lot's of switching on and off of layers to find out which was which. :lol:

Here is my effort....
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Glad to see you catching up Grandad :) your pic is really good :) I would never have thought in doing something like that..........................where is my imagination eh!

Horus after I did my multiplying of H & W then opened my New blank with the sizes my blank was vertical & I had to rotate by 90 degrees, dunno why that happened ? I was sure I did my mutiplying the right way round ;)

I'll start afresh tomorrow :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

First of all to Grandad, what a sterling effort and a great idea for a theme, you have also given me an idea (more of that later ;) ) You certainly applied a lot of what we have been dealing with in the tutorials and a few of your own, so I reckon you are getting pretty good with this software. I can see nothing to comment on so keep up the good work. :up

Kiya, you will have just got the boxes mixed up, longest size in the top box and shortest size in the lower box will give you a Landscape image and if you reverse that order it will be Portrait size, so 800 x 600 = landscape, but 600 x 800 = portrait

Like this:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Haven't done anything with pics apart from resizing to fit new page.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thats the idea Kiya :up it looks pretty good to me, so all you need to do in the future is to select the pictures you are going to use in this sort of collage and resize them to suit and make any adjustments before saving them on your PC. Then when you are ready just do the sums for the new image to fit them onto and Bob's your uncle. ;) Of course you are not restricted to using just 4 images, just so long as you follow the rules for resizing and working out the final image size to put them onto. As long as you make a rectangle it can hold 6 images @ 3 across and 2 down, or 9 images @ 3 across and 3 down or any multiple that makes a regular shape.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Having a quick go with Quick Mask & Collage

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks to me like you have got the Quick mask and multi image options sussed to me Kiya :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just had a little go at the colour popping thing. You can imagine that most of the Masai warriors garbe is red but I just picked out the guy in mid air.

A useful tip that I realised is that if you switch your copy layer on and off you can quickly see any little bits you have missed. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Now that is the sort of picture that works extremely well with this technique, so really well done with the 'popping' it is really sharp. I would say that so far everyone has grasped this pretty well, so that's another one under your belts and hopefully a useful tool for you to use, but you do need to be selective, so :br: everyone.

Glad you mentioned the switching on and off of the layers Grandad, I am so used to doing it that I forgot to mention it in the tutorial. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Over recent weeks my computer has started shutting down for no apparent reason. I am guessing that there is some sort of conflict going on and as the problem seems to be coincident with using the Gimp I have just uninstalled it to see what happens over the next few days. ( I had already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gimp but the problem was still there)

I have a suspicion that a Google program like Chrome or Picasa may be involved.

Anyone else had similar problems????