Boot Sale Score of Photo Equipment!!!

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Boot Sale Score of Photo Equipment!!!

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My next door neighbours are having a garage sale today. One of the items being sold was a photography stand with an umbrella attached for when you're taking portraits. For $3 I couldn't resist. Neighbour is mid to late 70ies and said years ago he was kinda into photography, thought he'd like doing portraits but in reality didn't at all so he hardly ever used it and now is basically a 'point and shoot snapper'......

Now to figure out what 'bouncing light' etc is all about.......

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well the only way to find out is to set up your camera and try it out, :) of course you will now need a seperate flash to point into the umbrella so you can bounce the light of ceilings, walls etc. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That sounds like a great deal LLL. :)

You didn't say what colour it is, I assume it is white fabric but is the inside coloured silver or gold, and is there a black cover to fit over the outside?

Also has the stand got a hot shoe attachment to hold a remote flash?

Portraits is the main use for umbrellas with the flash (or you can use a bright halogen light) being directed into the umbrella to bounce back on to the subject and produce defused soft light. If there is a gold inside this produces a warmer light. If not and there is a black outer cover, this is to contain and bounce the light or, if removed, the umbrella can be used shooting the light through the fabric to diffuse the light in a different way.

They are inexpensive and versatile pieces of lighting kit particularly for portraiture.....let us know how you get on with it :)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have a collapsible set of circular diffusers, that to a large degree duplicate the umbrella. They come in the usual opaque/white, gold/silver, this is achieved by zipping a reversible cover over the white/opaque disc. You can get them in all sizes and they fit the regular stands, the only problem is that you need an engineering degree to collapse them back down again once you pop them out of the carrying bag, like putting a Genni back in the bottle. :lol: But they are very useful for carrying with you as a means of reflecting natural light onto Macro subjects like flowers and insects on a dull day. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

you need an engineering degree to collapse them back down
Well described H, I know exactly what you mean. As in my apprentice days I had to collapse bandsaw blades I have never forgotten the trick......like riding a bike I suppose :)

Something I forgot to mention to LLL. A useful reflector for portraiture in addition to the umbrella is a sheet of white 'art board'. use it opposite to the umbrella to add some light to the shadow side away from the umbrella light. Does the same as Horus' reflectors but something you might even have at home.......

Sometimes on TV we see teams out on fashion shoots and the reflectors and white boards are always in evidence, just out of shot.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: The worse bit about band saw blades Grandad was opening up a new one. :) We would usually have on a pair of leather Riggers gloves, undo the twist of wire that kept it coiled and then throw it at arms length onto the floor whilst jumping back out of the way as it sprung and twisted fully open like a mad serpent. Then you would find that the teeth were all facing the wrong way and you would have to stand on it and twist it inside out again, oh happy days :lol: :lol: