Aloha Orchids

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Aloha Orchids

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm always fascinated by orchids and hope, one day to be able to grow them. Interestingly they are super popular nowadays in grocery stores here. They are everywhere in Hawaii. Many of the hotels have indoor waterfalls and typically have baskets of orchids growing underneath, beside and adjacent to. Quite a few of the trees have orchids growing inside coconut shells taped to them. I have no idea as to the names or types of orchids here I mostly just know that I love their faces and they seem to last forever.

This one was one of my favourites

This was similar but not quite the same:

This one was growing at the Hilton across from the flamingo pool and area:

I also remember somebody (hint hint wink wink H) last year growing pure white gorgeour orchids. I actually remember your orchids as much bigger and more beautiful than these H.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Wow those are really beautiful LLL, :) Orchids are one of my favourites. Not wanting to hijack your thread, but this one of Mrs H's has only just flowered, so thought you may like to see it, :) the centre always reminds me of a Bat. :lol:

Moth Orchid
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Beautiful, delicate, and actually quite hardy which always amazes me for something so fragile looking. Lovely pictures LLL but we are now getting to expect that from you so you have set your own benchmark :) :)

Interestingly there are over 30000 species of orchid so quite a few still to find Lor :)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Great photo of a moth orchid H. I remember the one you posted last years. They were gorgeous and so pure white.

Grandad - over 3000? WOW!!!!!!! BUT - since I love to press that camera button I'm up to the challenge....hmmm 3000 species at proabably minimum 10 to 20 photos each...... ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Over 30,000 LLL, not 3,000 :)

So get yourself a BIG memory card :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am sure that you all know that Grandad was joking about using a very large memory card in your camera, :) although now days there are some really big capacity ones out there. It did set me thinking on the capacity of memory cards and that it can be a hard thing to get to grips with the concepts of how it actually works using various card capacities and photo file formats. I know we often drift a little in our threads and that makes them interesting, but I am sure that LLL won’t mind me popping this information in here as it is a bit relevant to what Grandad had written, although jokingly.

So I have tried to set it out here some info on files and capacities and hopefully some of you may find it helpful.

1. The most common file types to save on your camera are Jpeg or RAW files, occasionally the Tiff option will also exist although this is now less popular.

2. Jpeg files are universally readable on any computer without special software so can be sent to anyone, anywhere. They do remove some of the photographic information before saving the file to your memory card so as to make it smaller and then reconstruct this information again using mathematical algorithms on your PC, so some information is lost.

3. RAW files are unique to your own camera and save all of the photographic information to your memory card, so they are quite large files as nothing is removed prior to saving. A RAW file cannot be sent to other people as freely, as you need the special software to convert that cameras version of the RAW file into a picture, that is the reason that some software packages such as Photoshop may take several months to catch up after a new camera hits the market. The main advantage of shooting in the RAW file format is that you can adjust the unmodified file better as it contains far more data than a Jpeg file.

(A) A camera taking Jpeg pictures will be saving a file with a size of approximately half the Mega Pixel capacity of the camera. So for example a 10 MB camera will save a Jpeg file of around 5 MB if set to the Jpeg Fine setting in your camera. This fine setting may be called ‘Best’ or the highest of a ‘star’ rating’

(B) RAW files by comparison can be twice the Mega Pixel size of the camera, so a 10 MB capacity could be saving at 15 to 20 MB per file.

(C) A Tiff file could be up to 3 times the camera size, so 20 to 30 MB per file.

(D) A 1 Giga Byte card (or 1 GB) is One Thousand Mega Bytes (or 1000 MB)

(E) Memory cards come in lots of storage capacities with the newer SDHC type cards being available in 32 GB capacity, but your camera must be capable of reading such high capacity cards. More common sizes are 2, 4, 8 & 16 GB, personally I think you are better using two smaller cards rather than one large capacity one, as the risk of losing all your photos is reduced.

(F) So as a rough calculation, a 4 GB card would hold approximately 800 Jpeg pictures of 5 MB in size taken using a 10 MB camera. Alternatively if you saved them as a RAW file then that would drop to between 200 & 260 on the same card with the same camera.

Obviously these figures are approximate and are camera dependant, but as you can see, the file type chosen can have considerable impact on the amount of pictures stored on your card. So I suppose that LLL would need a 150 GB card to fit all of her Orchid pictures on it using Jpeg files. ;) :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All useful stuff :) Thanks for that H......

I think your point about using smaller capacity cards is very valid....if a card becomes corrupted you have probably lost everything. :(

As a follow up tip....get into the habit of downloading your pictures very regularly and clearing your card. I have family members and friends who have hundreds of holiday and family pictures on their camera but no back up. Lose the camera or corrupt the card and all is lost. :(

I do occasionally re-format the card in the camera.....don't know if this is good practice or not...perhaps H has a comment on that :?:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely flower pics LLL :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:
I do occasionally re-format the card in the camera.....don't know if this is good practice or not...perhaps H has a comment on that
This is the best thing you can do Grandad :) especially if you have been filming video or even just deleted lots of files over a few sessions. It is a bit like the difference between sweeping your patio and pressure washing it, the most important thing to remember though, is to always do the format with the card in your camera, never do it using your PC. ;)
I always download my pictures to my PC ASAP or when convienient to do so, then delete the files from the card, usually just by re-formatting it in the camera. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One of the things that was stressed time and time again in the Photography class I took was to download your photos to your PC and then back them up from there. Do not leave 'em on your camera and in this world of digital make sure those photos that are really important and non-replaceable be backed up.

With this in mind I did buy an external hard drive that can hold a 'tera-bite'. HUGE HUGE HUGE! I download to the laptop and then 'send' everything to the external that is important and that I want to keep. I actually do this before 'tweaking' and 'playing with the photos so that I've got true originals. I also send my touched up photos to the external hard drive too if I'm pleased with it after I keep it. I also don't keep the external plugged in all the time, just when I need it.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Seems like you have it all sussed out LLL ;)
jewel

Post by jewel »

Lovely orchid pictures LLL........they look so "exotic", we have some wild orchids in the wood near here that are so rare they have police protection! :o :lol: That is true, they are the ladys slipper orchid
There are a lot of early purple orchids around, and look great with the bluebells :)
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I love the Lady Slipper Orchids. I've don't think I've ever seen these before. Am just realizing I have no idea how orchids propogate. Do they make seeds? Do you take cuttings? How does one get another orchid?

If the Lady Slippers are really rare are there efforts to increase their numbers?