THE NEW SEASON IN THE GARDEN - 2019

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: THE NEW SEASON IN THE GARDEN - 2019

Post by Kiya » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Grandad your D I L garden looks very nice and not to much overlooked by neighbours :)

And not forgetting yours very nice and neat :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm

@Grandad Both your gardens are looking lovely :up Your daughter in law has created a lovely inviting space where anybody would really love to sit and enjoy all the varieties she has planted there. I see she has banana plants (?) in the pots about the center........do they live there all summer? Don't get knocked over by wind? (Am only relating to here that something that tall and top heavy would be on its side overnight).

I've seen a couple of banana plants, have never tried one by am quite tempted as I'm seeing you guys growing them.....

I also find it interesting your daughter in law has her hostas out in open weather. Mine here are mostly in shaded sheltered areas as putting them out in the sun would fry them up fast.....

I'm also liking your very last picture where you have the geranium surrounded by a yellow flower. Love that look of combined planting :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. :up
Two very different back gardens to two very different houses. My son and his wife have a very nice 4 bed detached house with a generous plot large enough to develop a proper garden. Karen now has a true interest in horticulture and together with their double allotment where they grow fruit and veg, she has her work fully occupied. She is a teacher 4 days a week.
We have a semi- detached town house. The site was small to start with but when I increased the internal size of the house and built the extension, that took nearly half of the available space. So I slabbed the remaining space to provide just a low maintenance patio. We really like the way it is and at our ages suits us just fine.

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, bananas can survive in our climate although I lost my nice plant last year. They need to be wrapped for protection through the colder weather and to protect from frost. Karen is keen to have banana plants and spent time on Wednesday picking head gardener Steve Edneys brains on how to care for them. ;) The ones you can see are small and I assume she will plant them in the border. She is trying to replicate the borders we saw at The Salutation on Wednesday.
I do agree about hostas. Mine, together with some ferns, are all on a north facing wall so no direct sunlight. They are thriving and the hostas are enormous.
The little yellow annual is a 'Calibrachoa' This one is 'Can Can Double Lemon. My wife likes them because even on the dullest day they stand out bright and cheerful
. :up
:gg:

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:26 pm

My Hostas don't seem to mind being in the sun or the shade.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Really H? That is very interesting. I'd lo e to have some out in the yard and I http moved A few only to find them burned. Are yours a specific variety or type?

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:10 pm

This isn't exactly outdoor gardening but I have a large Snake Plant aka Mother In Law's Tongue that sits in the corner of the living room. It doesn't move much but recently it has decided to grow one long long long (almost to the ceiling) long leaf. I cut it off and decided to propagate it by way of cutting it up into 4" chunks.

I've marked the bottom of each piece and right now it is laying on the kitchen counter to callous over.

Was reading the best way to start cuttings and believe it or not I've been reading that they'll sprout best in water! Hard to believe a flesh leaf would sprout in water but am thinking I'll give it a try. Not terribly sure how long I should leave the little leaf chunks but am thinking a day or so. Have to find a jar with straight sides or something to keep everything upright.

Apparently they grow fast and apparently even if you try to propagate the ones with yellow side stripes they'll only re-grow green soooooo wonder how they've managed to grow the yellow stripped ones if they don't even reproduce from a cutting true to the Mother plant. Won't lose sleep over this but it is a bit of a curiosity to me.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Try getting a straight tumbler and place something across the top like a small stick. Take your leaf and put a small piece of kitchen roll folded over to protect the leaf from damage and fix it to the stick using a not too strong plastic clothes peg or even a stretched open large paper clip. Position the base of the cut leaf about 1/2" into the water and peg it, with any luck it will start to grow some roots at the base.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:44 pm

@Horus Good idea. I'm going to give that a try THEN I'm going to cut off another leaf and do the same thing in soil. Am only doing a second leaf cause I have a drooping one so will see who grows first. The daughter in Quebec took some cutting of my snake plants 3 yrs ago and showed me how they've now grow into some quite lovely potted houseplants. They're not overly tall are at quite a decorative stage.

I like snake plants as they do provide the green but don't require lots of care and grow in less than optimal conditions which means my downstairs where there is only 1 window (so light only coming from 1 direction).