Did you know? Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Did you know? Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptians dont drink while they are eating (or maybe this is a Luxor thing) reason im told is that this makes you FAT if you drink and eat at the same time... Is this true? (i cant see how it can be)

Have you got any stories about things Egyptians believe to be true.

cbrbddd

Re: Did you know? Egypt

Post by cbrbddd »

DJKeefy wrote:Egyptians dont drink while they are eating (or maybe this is a Luxor thing) reason im told is that this makes you FAT if you drink and eat at the same time... Is this true? (i cant see how it can be)

Have you got any stories about things Egyptians believe to be true.
No other stories I can think of right now, but I have an Indian friend that seemed to think the same thing. I always thought it was a good idea to drink water as you are eating as it helps to clear the palate (sometimes) and you might eat less if your stomache is full from water . . . might being the operative word :lol:
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Not that I know of Keefy :?
Hubby drinks along with his meals.

The only thing he doesn't do is have tea straight after a meal because it stops Iron being absorbed from the food you just ate, but that's about all.

There is something now in the back of my mind about him not eating fish or eggs when on antibiotics ??
Claire

Interesting!

Post by Claire »

My husband drinks with his meals and has tea straight after as well. But he always says you should never have fish or eggs if you have a cold as he reckons it makes it worse.
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Bless, they all have thier theories dont they, but Keefy its not true that drinking while eating makes you fat, but in thier defence it can make you feel a little bloated which is why you are told to maintain a good fluid level if you are on a diet as fluid makes you feel fuller, so i wonder if thats what they mean :?: :)
Claire

Men with colds!

Post by Claire »

And could I just add that you don't want to risk anything which could make the man cold worse! Usually in our house the cold is 'flu' and the common complaint is 'I'm dying'. Enough said!!!! :lol:
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

I was actually told about not eating fish or eggs when you have a cold by a doctor in Hurghada who i may say was an excellent doctor.Have also heard something about them giving babies camels milk but can't remember the reason why at the moment so maybe someone else might know the answer. :)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I think they Camels milk is if they have twins, otherwise they will change into cats, or maybe thats another story :lol:
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Men with colds!

Post by Ebikatsu »

Claire wrote:And could I just add that you don't want to risk anything which could make the man cold worse! Usually in our house the cold is 'flu' and the common complaint is 'I'm dying'. Enough said!!!! :lol:
:lol:

how very true!
Claire

Camels milk

Post by Claire »

Yeah the camel's milk is to do with twins. Interesting that a Dr also said the same about eggs and fish!
Have any of you ever tried being rubbed all over with lemon juice as a cure for a bad cold or high temperature? You don't squeeze the lemon and just apply the juice or drink the juice as we would. On no that would be too easy. You cut the lemon in half and then rub it all over your body including on your head and in your hair! It stings and is quite unpleasant but I've had it done to me twice and it did seem to do the trick. When you are all covered in lemon you go to bed and try to sleep!
As I say I've only done it twice as it is quite unpleasant but it did seem to help me. I did it when I was pregnant and did n't want to take any medication.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Yes Keefy you are right about the camels milk and twins,have just checked it out with a friend :) There is also the one about sprinkling salt on the floor of your house to get rid of the evil eye,and stepping seven times (i think) over burning incense to bring the luck ;)
jewel

Post by jewel »

Depends what you drink I suppose....I never have fizzy drinks I would imagine they wouldnt be too good with all the gas etc they make you fat on their own!

Water is a different matter however...and what is soup in the main?
A lot of food, especially fruits and vegetables are already mostly water.. take lettuce. Mostly water, a little fibre, a few carbs.. not much there. During digestion, the carbs and water are separated out, the water is absorbed by your intestine and the carbs broken down and turned into usable energy in your stomach (absorbing your nutrients happens in your lower intestine, not your stomach)

Drinking wine with a meal is a MUST ;)
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Camels milk

Post by Ebikatsu »

Claire wrote:Yeah the camel's milk is to do with twins. Interesting that a Dr also said the same about eggs and fish!
Have any of you ever tried being rubbed all over with lemon juice as a cure for a bad cold or high temperature? You don't squeeze the lemon and just apply the juice or drink the juice as we would. On no that would be too easy. You cut the lemon in half and then rub it all over your body including on your head and in your hair! It stings and is quite unpleasant but I've had it done to me twice and it did seem to do the trick. When you are all covered in lemon you go to bed and try to sleep!
As I say I've only done it twice as it is quite unpleasant but it did seem to help me. I did it when I was pregnant and did n't want to take any medication.

That's weird but if it works then it must be a good thing :)

I heard the Egyptians like to use lemon rubbed under the arms as a deodorant.
Never tried it. Anyone heard about that?
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Hurghadapat wrote:Yes Keefy you are right about the camels milk and twins,have just checked it out with a friend :) There is also the one about sprinkling salt on the floor of your house to get rid of the evil eye,and stepping seven times (i think) over burning incense to bring the luck ;)
Same thing I think with throwing salt over your shoulder when you cook. Said to be throwing it in the devil's eye.

Jewel

The CO2 in fizzy drinks leeches out the calcium from your bones it's said and very bad for women especially as it can lead to early osteoporosis.
I saw Victoria Beckham on American Idol, and she looked ill. She looked like just about everything was leeched out of her body. A walking skeleton :?
BENNU

Post by BENNU »

- A friend from Senegal told me that he couldn't possibly drink while eating, and he had big problems in Denmark where we always make toasts during our looong dinners. In his deeply traditional muslim culture, they would finish eating quickly and then share a glass of water, just like here in Upper Egypt, and they would feel full if they had anything to drink, because they were not used to it. As a child, whenever he could smell that his mother had cooked one of his favorite dishes, he would tempt his younger brothers and sisters with a nice big glass of cold water before dinner was served - this way there would be more of the good food for him! :lol:
PRchick

Re: Camels milk

Post by PRchick »

Claire wrote:Yeah the camel's milk is to do with twins. Interesting that a Dr also said the same about eggs and fish!
I can see that. Lemon and tea with honey is supposed to be good for a cold. Lemon is acidic. And could have a cooling affect on the skin. It would certainly clear your sinuses! I love lemon so it sounds good to me!
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

My husband drinks with his meals, but only one glass (usually soft drink or juice) spun out over the whole meal in small sips.

I have been told, paraphrasing Jane Austen's "A single man in possession of a fortutne..."...a single Western man living on Luxor's West Bank must be gay! :roll:
BENNU

Post by BENNU »

Winged Isis wrote:juice)

I have been told, paraphrasing Jane Austen's "A single man in possession of a fortutne..."...a single Western man living on Luxor's West Bank must be gay! :roll:
- :cry: As a single, monogamous woman living on Luxor's West Bank, I wish that was all prejudism... :cc
Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

I've heard of most of the things mentioned and the stepping over the incense thing, well my MIL makes us all do that if anything happens to ward off bad eyes, if it spits then that's good because it's the 'bad' being killed.
Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

Has anyone heard it said that you should NEVER eat fish and milk together because it gives you vitiligo.
There are lots of things like this I've heard over the years, just remembered another cracker ! My SIL was told by a 'doctor' not to remove the hard skin on her heels because.......wait for this........it's good for your eyes !!!! :oops: I kid you not that's what he told her :)