Dietry needs (i figured this was a better place!)

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Groovy!! 8)

Hope to hear more from you :)

Lostintranslation

Post by Lostintranslation »

I only know of green stuff that has already been mentioned and liver...and of course supplements but u should take them with vit c like OJ.
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Thanks all.

Yup Ebi - got the cause pinned for sure this time round!
I had a sneaky suspicion you were going to get another plug in for them damned sardines!
Thanks for the other bits of advice. Didn't think I'd be doing myself a disservice by having a cup of tea with stuff - so handy to know! And what would I do with molasses?? (hate the stuff - but quite prepared to swallow a few spoonfulls if that's all it takes!)

Doc prescribed Iron tabs - but the side effects were so nasty I had to come off them for a while - but just been for another blood test and things are getting a bit dire. I can honestly say I've never been as ill as I was when I was taking them tablets.
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Goddess what is your Hb?

Are you happy with the diagnosis?

Iron tabs are not nice, it's best to get it in your normal diet. Only way I have molasses is by the spoonful or on muesli, or sometimes I bake gingerbread with loads of it in instead of too much sugar ;)
You could also use it as a dip for sardines :mrgreen:
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Hb was 10.3 (I think - Mr G just taken the results off to the Dr to see what he's going to do - so can't check)
The comments down at the bottom of the results page said something something anemia, and a couple of other things.

Will report back what Dr says when he gets in touch later on.

It's been a bout of fainting, lethargy and not able to breathe after moving about for 20 mins that made him check my blood.
Should have seen it coming really - I had a run in with Anemia last year too. but the missing B12 variety.

Mr G used to do something disgusting with Tahina and molasses, made me want to hurl just looking at it!
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I don't do henna. Had an allergic reaction to it in my hair once. I would guess you could buy it at an herbal shop (attar) or maybe at one of those shops that sells girly stuff like makeup and hair accessories.
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Lostintranslation wrote:So my next annoying question (might as well give it a shot) where can I buy ready to apply Henna? this is not a desperate need I am just curious! shall i start a new thread? think I'm high on soymilk!
[face=Comic Sans MS]I'm no expert on henna (or anything else come to that :roll: ) but I understand that there are different types & qualities of henna. Also, henna can cause bad allergic reactions to some people. Even hair colours (Nice & Easy, Clairol etc) say you shouldn't use them if you have henna tattoo! Please be very careful if using henna in pregnancy. I've found a Henna website which may give you more information - ceratinly worth a look. :) [/face]
http://www.hennapage.com/henna/what/fre ... HPJpp2.pdf
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Lostintranslation

Post by Lostintranslation »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I don't do henna. Had an allergic reaction to it in my hair once. I would guess you could buy it at an herbal shop (attar) or maybe at one of those shops that sells girly stuff like makeup and hair accessories.

Oh i wouldnt use it on my hair but usually its the other stuff they add to the henna that causes probs...like u cant use the skin one on ur scalp as it sometimes contains stuff tamarind that causes........oooo i cant remember now :icd: but hair henna should be just pure powder mixed with water and maybe yog..... Henna used to be used for its medicinal values esp in hot countries so allergy is rare but poss i guess.

i should get to bed i dont think i'm mmaking much sense
:yap:
BENNU

Post by BENNU »

Goddess wrote:Yay!!

Since were on about dietary needs: My old friend Anemia is back - so if anyone has any ideas a shout out would be most welcome.
- So we have a mutual friend :) . Banger!! I eat beetroots every day - I can even see my veins now!
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

BENNU wrote:
Goddess wrote:Yay!!

Since were on about dietary needs: My old friend Anemia is back - so if anyone has any ideas a shout out would be most welcome.
- So we have a mutual friend :) . Banger!! I eat beetroots every day - I can even see my veins now!
Really? I love beetroots! Think you've also just helped me work out why it took blood taking lady 20 mins to find somewhere to stick her needle. I thought they'd all just shrunk into submission when we entered the lab!

Been eating a lot healthier this week (so rewarded myself with Domino's pizza last night!)
BENNU

Post by BENNU »

- I love fresh beet roots. Have always said that the Nile runs in my veins. Now I'm in Aswan, where The Mighty River seems richer, and my veins have not been more visible in many years!

- Some might say it's the beet root salad from the breakfast buffet and the freshly cooked beet roots at the dinner buffet that I take before and with my main dish here on Isis Island :D , but I like to think, it's the Magic of the Nile...

- Beet roots are supposed to help you to incorporate more iron from other sources. :P
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

OMG! I love beetroot, but not the pickled one. I always buy a few kilos each week and cook them and have them in salad.
It's got tryptophan in it, the good stuff you get in chocolate :)
The leaves are high in Iron.

Yummy..................... :P