Egyptian Remedies

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Egyptian Remedies

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Just a Spoonful of Sugar Helps The Medicine Go Down.........

[face=Comic Sans MS]What Egyptian home remedies have you come across and how good do you think they are?

Black Tea for an upset stomach

I've been treated for an upset stomach by the Tea Remedy. I naively thought I was being recommended a glass of black tea, but no! It took me by surprise to have a teaspoon of black tea powder put in my mouth and told to chew it for a minute, no water to help it and no swallowing. After a minute I was given a sip of water and instructed to keep chewing. After another minute I was allowed to (attempt) to swallow it all and then given a couple of mouthfuls of water to rinse my mouth out and swallow again. Disgusting! I had to go through the whole rigmorole 4 hrs later as although I was much better I wasn't 100%.

:? I don't know if it worked or not as usually I'd just fast for 24 hrs but drink plenty of water. My Egyptian friends prior to the treatment had insisted on my drinking freshly squeezed lemon juice and eating - I did manage to convince them there was no way I could eat pigeon, but would try some bread or a boiled potato which arrived as chips!

Fig Sap for feet.

Another treatment I was give was for my cracked heels. It would seem that the freshly milked sap of the fig tree applied to the dried skin on the heels is very good. I have to say I really did notice the benefit of this as the area that was badly cracked hurt less and the dried but uncracked area became much softer.[/face]

Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Lemon seems to be a real cure all in egypt especially if you have upset stomach or a cold and was also told when i had a real heavy cold not to eat fish or eggs :? Had an infected cyst and the doctor used kaolin poultice to draw the infection out,and it worked but that is a really old fashioned remedy.Think their natural cures are really more or less the same as were used in this country many years ago.What does amuse me is how they go to the pharmacy to take an injection no matter what is wrong with them :roll:
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

I've heard of peppermint tea for an upset stomach but not black tea. Black tea is supposed to be good for the heart.

We had many fig trees as a kid and I remember the sap is very milky looking and a little sticky so I imagine it would be great for the skin.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree with PR about the mint tea :) as a mega skeptic where these remedies are concerned I have to say that both myself and Mrs H swear by this for an upset stomach. Now as for the fig tree sap, I would not recommend that at all, my own experience in Africa has taught me that any plant that has a milky sap will cause an allergic reaction on the skin if it touches it. Good examples are Mango, Fig and Rubber plants. :cry:
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Well quite possible Horus. Fig leaves have a fuzzy surface and when that fuzz gets on you, you itch badly.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I'm a great advocate of mint tea. :) I find it a wonderful 'cure all'.

I could understand taking black tea if it were to be drunk as usually dairy products should be avoided if you have an upset tummy, although I don't take milk in drinks anyway. I just don't know what the properties are in the dried tea powder, unless it's something to do with the tannin.[/face]
PRchick wrote:Black tea is supposed to be good for the heart.
[face=Comic Sans MS]Maybe that's why they said I'd be running round as strong as a donkey in a couple of hours. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Hurghadapat - the mother of the family I was visiting was desperate for me to see a doctor and was really quite upset that I was adamant that I didn't need one. I had visions of sticking needles of goodness knows what into me!

Re the Fig 'milk', yes they do have a milky white sap and I think it must be quite acidic as a drop did fall on the top of my foot and gave it a burning itch. So presumably it was the effect of the acid working on my hard skin that helped.[/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
redsaffy

Post by redsaffy »

When I had a problem with cracked heels my husband used to make me ware socks with the crushed seeds from a tree outside our house (looked like furry runner beans!!) and henna all crushed up and mixed with water then smothered all over my feet have to say it seems to have worked as have not had much trouble since!! :)

Also have been told that if I get bitten by a dog then i must bury my bitten part in the soil as this will pull out all the infected stuff!! :?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

More likely you will get Tetanus :lol:
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

...or rabies.
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

redsaffy wrote:
Also have been told that if I get bitten by a dog then i must bury my bitten part in the soil as this will pull out all the infected stuff!! :?
What! :))
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Oh yes the tetanus would be rampant here with all the horses and donkeys poo! :)

My poor old Bull Mastiff caught tetanus :(
redsaffy

Post by redsaffy »

Oh dear:cry:

I have to say that I won't be doing it any time soon!!! it would have to be a bottle of TCP!!!!!