Egypt declares state of emergency

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt declares state of emergency

Post by DJKeefy »

A state of emergency has been declared across Egypt, according to a presidential statement announced on state television.

The state of emergency will begin at 4pm local time (14:00 GMT) and will last for a month, the statement said on Wednesday afternoon.

The exceptional measures came as "the security and order of the nation face danger due to deliberate sabotage, and attacks on public and private buildings and the loss of life by extremist groups," the presidency said.

Interim president Adly Mansour "has tasked the armed forces, in cooperation with the police, to take all necessary measures to maintain security and order and to protect public and private property and the lives of citizens."

The announcement came amid a deadly crackdown by security forces on two Cairo protest camps set up by supporters of Egypt's ousted president Mohamed Morsi.

A curfew has also been imposed in Cairo and nine other provinces, starting from 7 pm local (17:00 GMT) until 6 am (04:00 GMT).

phpBB [video]

Conflicting death tolls

Conflicting reports have emerged over the number of people killed on Wednesday.

The Health Ministry said 95 people were killed in clashes that happened nationwide, with another 974 injured. According to the ministry, 25 were killed in Rabaa, nine in Nahda Square, and the others were outside Cairo in the governorates of Alexandria, Suez, Beheira, Minya, Dakahlia, Suhaq, and Luxor.

However, some members of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood said the death toll was as high as 2,200, with about 10,000 injured.

Al Jazeera could not independently verify the Brotherhood's figure.

Al Jazeera's Sherine Tadros, reporting from Cairo, said the military has now been given "a mandate by cabinet to play an active role in the crackdown, if the situation escalates, and we have seen that the situation has escalated."

"It is a very worrying situation, and the state of emergency only serves to highlight the very precarious situation."

The Interior Ministry said 543 pro-Morsi supporters were arrested nationwide, in incidents related to dispersing the sit-ins of Rabaa and Nahda. The arrests were made for possession of arms including automatic weapons, and large amounts of ammunition.

Journalists killed

Ammar Beltagi, the son of Mohammad Beltagi, the head of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice party, told Al Jazeera his 17-year-old sister, Asmaa, was shot and killed in the Rabaa al-Adawiya sit-in in Nasr City.

Two journalists were also killed while covering the violence. Mick Deane, a cameraman for the UK-based Sky News channel, and Habiba Abd Elaziz, a reporter for the UAE-based Xpress newspaper, died from gunshot wounds.

Live footage from Cairo on Wednesday morning showed smoke engulfing Nahda Square, the smaller of the two sit-ins based in Giza, amid reports of tear gas and birdshots being used on supporters of the deposed president.

By mid-morning, the Interior Ministry said security forces had "total control" over Nahda Square, and that "police forces had managed to remove most of the tents" in the area. Security forces had blocked all access to the protest camp.

In an afternoon press conference, the cabinet media adviser thanked the security forces for "exercising self-control and high-level professionalism in dispersing the sit-ins," and held the Muslim Brotherhood responsible for "escalation and violence".

Witnesses said that after firing tear gas into the Rabaa al-Adawiya sit-in, pandemonium struck among the thousands of protesters who had set up camp there soon after Morsi was ousted by the army on July 3.

Automatic fire

Protesters have camped in Cairo demanding the reinstatement of Morsi, who was country's first democratically elected president and his Freedom and Justice Party was the largest political group in the now dissolved parliament.

Clashes quickly erupted between protesters and security forces on one side of the camp, with automatic fire reverberating across the square. It was not immediately clear who was shooting.

Television footage showed the injured being carried to a makeshift medical centre as well as police dragging away protesters, who had defied numerous ultimatums by the army-installed authorities to end their demonstrations.

Police barred journalists not already in the camp from entering.

In response to the security operation, the Muslim Brotherhood urged Egyptians to take to the streets across the country to "stop a massacre".

Al Jazeera's D. Parvaz, reporting from a makeshift hospital near the Rabaa sit-in, said that the people in the area will not be deterred. "No one is willing to give up, and they've said that the gunshots are not going to scare them".

She said the hospital, which has been set up in the entrance of a local mosque, has been receiving a steady stream of wounded people.

“They are bringing in a steady stream of gunshot victims, of all ages, with wounds everywhere."

“At least four people have died from their wounds in the period I’ve been here.”

Source: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeas ... 51214.html

Demonstrations and violence in Luxor 14th Aug 2013:
http://www.luxor4u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32760

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Egypt declares state of emergency

Post by Horus »

There has been extensive coverage on the UK TV stations and things are looking pretty grim from what is being shown, I am afraid I see nothing but more escalating violence in the days and weeks to come. It has to be said though that unless the army crack down big time on the MB and we finish up with them being a prohibited party all over again and any actions by them are punished severely, then Egypt is looking at a very bleak future because it will take very little for this to turn into full blown acts of violence and even terrorism by the MB in order to try and regain power again. As such the army has two choices, try and control them with tight monitoring or to actively crush them before they have an opportunity to gain more popularity, sad to say that from a loss of life situation and the stability of the country in general the latter seems to be the only real option as democracy in the way we understand it will not really work in Egypt, maybe that's why they have had thousands of years of pharonic rule and it seemed to work for them.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Are we seeing the start of another 'Syria'? I am inclined to think so and as for tourism, that seems to be dead and buried for at least the next few years.
I fear that the situation will worsen even more and if I was living in Egypt as an expat I would be seriously considering my position. If this unrest spreads throughout the country it may not be easy to leave even if one wants to.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When viewing the situation in Egypt from afar and through the lens of media cameramen there is a surreal sense to it all. It is happening and unfolding that Egypt is coming apart at the seams. There is no direction, nobody at the helm and two passionate sides that equally will die for their cause and beliefs. They're willing to physically confront each other and grapple directly. I'm not sure how this momentum can be stopped or mediated or moderated.

I tend to think that possibly as there is only 'one God' who is all encompassing and all-being that requires an entire lifestyle of adherence that maybe a stern Dictator might be the only acceptable way to move forward. On speculation on my part but I have no optimism that either side will bend or compromise.

I think and have thought for a while that ex-pats could be significantly at risk and I really hope all those IN Egypt now have figured out an exit plan. Hope they all pull the plug well prior to finding they are personae non gratis on the streets.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The turning point for the safety of expats and tourists alike could well be when certain elements start to link together the supply of American weapons to an army that is seen to be using those same weapons to supress any particular section such as the MB. It may well be the trigger for agressive acts against anyone deemed to be American regardless of whether or not that is true, as they say "all cats look black in the dark" and I doubt if the average rioter in Egypt can distinguish one nationality from another. How often do we witness the uncontrolled rantings of the man on the street, when it comes to knee jerk reactions, they must top the list for volativity as they boil over like a pan of milk at the slightest provocation, so it would take very little to set them off on a rampage.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It can take nothing to provoke mob mentality and, as you say H, the sudden turning could be based on the perception and just make anybody a target. Might also be just sheer frustration and the need to take it out on somebody/something different. When this happens and the rubber hits the road I don't think age old friendships will hold and might not be sufficient to protect.

Seems everything is escalating, the US cancelled annual military exercises today and is now condemning the violence. The slope is getting steeper and can deteriorate dramatically further. Going to be tragic all 'round. Just hope the Expats and other Nationalities living there all have their thinking caps on and don't wait 'til it is too late.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think it may already be too late for some and making your bed and having to lie in it springs to mind. 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think sometimes when you live in an area that has been safe and secure and you've lived there a long time you become lulled into a sense of security. Don't want to say this is a false sense of security because during normal times you're reading the signs correctly however ever since the revolution times have been changing, stresses started, tensions increasing and I'm not really sure that the Expats really registered this cause I think they're too close.

It is easier for us to look IN objectively and see the different dangers and threats cause we're not personally connected. Living there everyday with nothing much changing dramatically for you could be creating a false sense.

It is also my understanding that the MB has brought in fellow members from other areas of Egypt during times of conflict or sit in etc. If this happens in Luxor then the person suddenly advancing on you has absolutely no personal connection which can really create sudden and very dire circumstances.

I hope the entire country doesn't deteriorate into all out civil war.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

No signs of any improvement in the situation in Egypt. The interim government has proposed the 'legal dissolution' of the Muslim Brotherhood. The MB has been banned in the past but I think that this time, having achieved positions of influence in the Government, they could well go underground in an effort to continue to win support from those who have supported them so far.

I cringe when I hear foreign ministers like William Hague saying that he has appealed to Egypts Government and military leaders to show restraint. Such weak and ineffectual words in my opinion. I suppose they have to say something but in truth they can only sit on the fence and let Egypt resolve its own problems. Too much at stake to interfere on either side. Even if the west suspended international aid to Egypt, their wealthy Arab neighbours will continue to support them with vast sums in aid.

The slaughter of the policemen in North Sinai is worrying and has the mark of Islamic extremists (Al Queda maybe?) The bigger picture that could open up is the spread of such actions. All the more reason to give Egypt a miss for the foreseeable future, as far as I am concerned, until some sort of stability and return to law and order can be seen.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well I for one say "what's stopping you Saudi, get your hands in your galabeyas and start handing it out" at least that way we might start spending OUR money in OUR country instead of giving it away to every Tom, Richard and Mohammed. 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This past weekend when I was watching the Sunday talking heads seems the official position of the USA is to do nothing. They don't seem to want to stop giving aid as, for whatever reason, they seem to think that by doing this they'll lose "leverage."

Am not sure what leverage they think they've got now but they are afraid of losing it.

Personally I'd like to see Egypt's neighbouring countries chip in to help them. The definitely need Saudi to take the lead and start cutting some cheques - BIG cheques to help out their fellow Arabs.