Prosecutor suspended for ordering 80 lashes for drunk man

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Prosecutor suspended for ordering 80 lashes for drunk man

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptian prosecutor suspended for ordering 80 lashes for drunk man.

A prosecutor in Minya (Upper Egypt) was suspended on Sunday and faces a judicial investigation after he ordered a man to receive 80 lashes for being drunk.

Prosecutor Hussein Aani said he ordered the lashes because two verses in the Quran call for the avoidance of alcohol, Al-Ahram Arabic website reported.

Article 2 of Egypt's recently-approved constitution states Islamic Sharia law, which bans the consumption of alcohol, is the main source of legislation.

Last March, officials at the civil aviation ministry revealed they were considering banning the sale of alcohol in airport duty-free shops because it had received complaints that alcohol is against Islamic principles.

In December 2012, President Mohamed Morsi ordered an increase in taxes on alcoholic beer from 100 per cent (with a minimum of LE200 per 100 litres) to 200 percent (with a minimum of LE400 per 100 litres). He backed down on his decision after public criticism.

A recent report in The Economist magazine said alcohol consumption in Islamic countries in the Middle East and North Africa had risen by 72 percent between 2001 and 2011, compared to a global average increase of 30 percent.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/69835.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Prosecutor suspended for ordering 80 lashes for drunk ma

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gheesh........not sure what I'm gheesh about more - that 80 lashes was ordered or that it seems to be surprise alcohol consumption has increased.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just one word from me ............ Barbaric 8)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Wonder when they will close the country to tourists - -
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I really don't give them too much longer. Either a tourist will do something and be punished severely that will hit all the News Media or the MB will just blatantly take over and turn Egypt into Saudi. I'm not optimistic that tourism will stay in Egypt. If Morsi can't keep food and the basics coming into the country - well - not too sure what the people will do but it won't be good.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I think there is a lot of hypocrisy about Islam and alcohol. The majority of Muslims that I have come into contact with enjoy a little tipple and many a bit more than a tipple.

That penalty is barbaric, and is it really a crime? And does it deserve a punishment similar to what might be metered out for causing another person some injury?

I remember being in one of the Emirates and at the darker end of the bar in the hotel there was a door which gave entry. In the gloom could be seen Arab men in their pristine white dishdashers ordering beer and spirits from waiters. :?
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I see nothing wrong with a drink and to have a wine with dinner, a beer after work (can't stand the taste myself) or a social drink in a relaxed atmosphere could actually be termed therapeutic. Drunk, gutter calling and peeing in the street is a totally different matter and I can see how this should be frowned upon.

Way back when in the good old days when camel milk was stored in tanned hides - didnt the milk often ferment so the imbibber was technically drinking alcoholÉ (ohhh poop I`ve put on the french version and now I`m not getting the question mark - gotta figure out how to switch back to English version)

BUT - me thinks way back when there was lots of naturally occuring drinking of fermented stuff as there really was not fresh water to drink. Isn`t that why Romans drank wine cause the water was no good(question mark)