Admitting Wrong

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Admitting Wrong

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In our culture if we do wrong or lie or whatever (whether deliberate or not) and then admit it with an apology it is viewed as us having personal strength or good moral character. It is then normal or expected for us to forgive the transgression and transgressor. Same in Egypt?

Our culture sees tends to see the giving of an apology as an indictor of us having a good moral being, as a strenth - BUT does Egyptian culture see the entire happening - Lie/wrongoing that requires an apology the same way?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Admitting Wrong

Post by Horus »

I would say that lying was endemic in Egypt, you can take very little of what anyone says as being the truth most of the time.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lying seems to be an integral part of Egyptian nature. Almost have to take a Dishonesty 101 class to pass into adulthood and this says nothing of all the treachery when talking about the Gigalos and their rip-offs.

I've been reading a book on the life of the Prophet Muhammad that references the concept of lies in early Islam in that apparently they are never forgiven.

I'm also aware in Hindu culture there is no concept of forgiveness. This was explained during my studies by a Pundit that when a person dies and/or just before death there is 'no forgiveness.' The notion is that they should lead a good and honest life during life. If they have transgressed this cannot be forgiven at death unlike some of the Christian religions that can and do forgive all prior to the passing of a person.

Just curious as to the Egyptian psyche. IF a person blatantly lies can it be forgiven? Then this can be expanded to - is it ok to lie to us infidels and this behaviour is totally sanctioned?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You have now touched upon something that is openly preached by some madrasas even here in the Uk and that is that we as infidels are deemed to be monkeys and pigs according to some mullahs and it is OK to lie to us. It is this type of teaching by people who are in essence backward village dwellers with little or no concept of the Western culture and who defame their own good book by twisting the words within it for their own ends or interpretation to foster hatred in the name of a prophet or a god. 8)