11 seized falcons released in the wild

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

11 seized falcons released in the wild

Post by DJKeefy »

Eleven falcons that had been seized by airport customs in September were released into the wild on Wednesday after spending over a month in the Giza zoo, which acts as a rescue center in cases of illegal animal trade.

Of the initial 17 prey birds that were intercepted at Cairo airport on 9 September, six died during their stay in the zoo.

According to witnesses and press reports, the airport authorities apprehended a passenger whose luggage looked suspect. Inside, they found the falcons drugged and squeezed together, in contradiction with Egypt’s environmental law prohibiting the trade of wildlife.

After putting pressure on the authorities to immediately release the birds from the zoo enclosures into the wild, Dina Zulfikar and other animal welfare activists finally succeeded in liberating the surviving animals.

“This is a great victory,” declared Zulfikar, adding that this is rare instance of wild animals being transferred from the zoo back to the wild.

According to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) that Egypt signed in 1978, any seized or confiscated animal must be transferred to designated sanctuaries that act as rescue center and be examined by an expert before being released in nature.

Nature Conservation Egypt, a branch of the EEAA, and the Giza zoo wildlife department are responsible or releasing the birds, a move that came after a six-week long campaign orchestrated by online activists.

The location where the falcons were released is kept secret, in order to protect the vulnerable birds whose physical condition deteriorated after a long stay in cages.

Although relieved that the liberation operation was a success, Zulfikar insists on knowing the whole story, as parts remain unclear.

“There was a breach in the law from moment one,” she says.

No report was established by the airport authorities at the moment of the seizure of the birds, who merely wrote a memorandum on the case. This means that no legal charges have been filed against the smuggler.

The fact that the birds remained at the zoo for over a month also must be clarified.

According to some media reports, the falcons are an endangered species whose mercantile value is enormous. The reports suggested that the birds, which are hunted during their September migration, can fetch up to LE1.7 million.

Egypt is an increasingly popular hub for the illegal smuggling of wildlife, and dozens of cases have been reported over the past 10 years. The illegal ivory trade also uses Cairo as a major stopover for mostly Asian destinations. In 2007, airport custom officials caught a man who was attempting to smuggle out baby crocodiles, chameleons and a cobra. Another case was reported in the news that year. A Saudi man was arrested with 700 snakes in his carryon luggage. He told the Egyptian authorities that snakes are greatly appreciated pets in Saudi Arabia.

Zulfikar says that special attention needs to be given to the Gulf passengers, as the peninsula is the number one destination for animals smuggled out of Egypt.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/11 ... eased-wild

Phantom

Re: 11 seized falcons released in the wild

Post by Phantom »

Ahhh, a happy ending for a change :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The trade in exotic reptiles is huge in the USA. So many people get iguanas, snakes, lizards of all sorts when they're teeny tiny and cute looking and then find they can't cope once these pets start to really get big. If you look on any website where pets are bought/sold/traded/given away you'll see mega reptiles of all descriptions.

'tis good that the falcons were released however the fact that six died in captivity doesn't give me a good feeling that the birds were actually being rehabilitated. Maybe they died right away from sedation complications but maybe too the zoo conditions were not optimal for suvival. I think I'd of been happier hearing they were released back into true 'wilds' although I guess anything getting released into Cairo could be considered the wilds. Hopefully the air pollution alone didn't do them in.

Not too sure what people get out of owning exotic animals particularly if they're illegal. They have to hide them, can't show them off, usually the exotic isn't inclined to snuggle up to you.......just don't get it. Go on a safari or trip and enjoy them in their natural habitat
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Although I am very pleased about the release, my first reaction was why did the other birds perish? Fair enough that some may have been too distressed to survive, but an early release was essential to their survival. These birds are raptors and have special needs and I seriously doubt that Cairo zoo had the correct facilities if some of the conditions I have read about relating to this zoo are correct. They may have had more success if they had hired a Bedouin tribesman who are often familiar with these birds to look after them until they were fit enough to be released, instead of keeping them in zoo cages. I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies and hope that the smuggler and the supplier get suitably tough jail sentences.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have seen the zoo in Cairo and it definitely lacks. Your concern was exactly my concern too H. Why did SIX perish? Raptors have specific and special needs and so keep them in cages - let along caught, sedated and stuffed into a suitcase surely isn't optimal. Even releasing them in Cairo isn't optimal particularly if they were caught during a migration.

Some of the info is sketchy - as in where would they actually be in their migration? how long in captivity? Healthy status? Age? etc but keeping them in Cairo zoo is like a trial by fire. Good they were finally released. Hope they make it period. Just hope they make it.