Western visitors to Egypt must obtain visas before arrival

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Changes to tourism visa regulations suspended

Post by DJKeefy »

Changes to tourism visa regulations suspended: Egyptian ministry of tourism

The Egyptian government reverses a decision that would have required tourists to get their visas ahead of time instead of buying them upon arrival at the airport, as has been the case for years

Egypt will suspend the decision requiring tourists to get visas in advance, says the ministry of tourism.

The Assistant Minister of Tourism, Hisham Zazou announced that the Minister of Tourism Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour has agreed with the Council of Ministers to suspend the decision. Zazou added that tourism companies and offices were already notified of the suspension of the decision.

Last Thursday the cabinet had announced that it was going to change the visa regulations and visitors could no longer get their visa upon arrival in Egypt. Previously, tourists from Europe, the US and other select countries could simply purchase a one-month visa at the airport upon arrival, which helped promote tourism in the country.

Instead, the Egyptian ministries would have required tourists to apply for a visa in advance from Egyptian embassies abroad.

The decision was met by public outcry and accusations that it will be a big blow to Egypt’s already fragile tourism industry, which has seen a 30 per cent decrease in business, agree most travel sector workers.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/20907.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am happy to see that 'cool' heads or 'economically astute' heads have prevailed and the decision has been reversed.

I'm also thinking along the lines of 'who' ever made such a decision in the first place and 'why' would such a decision be made anyway. I've tended to think that the Brotherhood has their own agenda in there but I could be wrong. Am sure it will play out over time. I'm fairly confident in my own mind to say that 'agendas' are in the works.

Maybe I'm naive but for the military to remain in power would they have to 'break' the country economically? Is there a military person emerging as a political power? Is there a name coming to the fore that is indicating they want power? (I hear nothing of that here and have no idea if there is or isn't) OR Is the Brotherhood (and I guess I equate the Brotherhood with the same powers that are in Saudi)?

Bottomline - I'm glad the decision is reversed. Hard to say how much damage it has already caused. When I'm up for holidays I usually want 'zero' hassle and 100% enjoyment and I know I'm not nearly rich enough to afford to arrive at a destination to be told I can't stay there. Likewise I don't have sufficient desire to be mailing off my documents all over the place to obtain a visa. Too many other places who will happily take me for my R n R! :)