Modern Day Greek Alexandria

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Modern Day Greek Alexandria

Post by Goddess »

A nice article about Greek restaurants and patisseries in modern day Alexandria in Al Ahram Weekly:

The façade of the Patisserie Baudrot on Saad Zaghloul Street in Alexandria is certainly eye-catching. Flanked by shops with unappealing and overloaded windows offering all manner of goods from women's veils to kitchen ware, Baudrot's window does look very Continental -- elegant and inviting. It reflects a nostalgic image of a once-upon-a-time Alexandria where elegant patisseries, tearooms and restaurants for a wide clientele were found almost on every street.

"Those were different times. Today we can only have a glimpse of this past, but it is a glimpse that is certainly worth having," said Loukia Georges Dimitri Pyrillis, the owner and manager of the new Baudrot. Sitting at the entrance to the tearoom, which is still under decoration and restoration, Pyrillis is charged with ideas that she would love to have accomplished before 20 February when she plans "a grand reopening of the Baudrot to mark its 80th anniversary".

"I know I cannot bring back the old Baudrot, but then again I cannot bring back old Alexandria. What I can bring is something to remind us of the Baudrot and of Alexandria of the past," she said as she examined possible decorative items for the tearoom and enjoyed ornamenting a little Christmas tree for her window shop.

The location of the "new" Baudrot is certainly not that of the old one. Today's Baudrot is situated in the premises of the former Petit Trianon -- yet another once-upon-a- time meeting place for the Alexandrians of post-World War I. The site of the old Baudrot on Rue Cherif Pasha and Rue Fouad is now occupied by a bank. Gone is the tearoom/restaurant/bar that was frequented in the early of the past century by clients such as the famous Greek poet Constantine Cavafy, E M Forster, author of Alexandria: a History and a Guide, and Laurence Durrell, who wrote The Alexandria Quartet.

The full article can be found here:
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2008/927/li1.htm

I've eaten in a lot of the places mentioned in the article and can fully recommend them all for the food and the ambience. Well worth hunting down for any travellers to Alex.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Facinating article Goddess, it is so easy to forget the Greek history of places such as Alexandria. Is it possible that you can put up some pictures of the place in question and the surrounding area? I am sure that there are many people who would love to see some on the sights around Alexandria.
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Coming soon to a forum near you ........ Goddess's days out and about with incriminating snapshots! :D
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Oooh looking forward to it Goddess :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Excellent :) I am sure that there is so much to see and learn about Alexandria, I am really looking forward to seeing your pictures and a few good descriptions of what they are about.
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Yes come on Goddess, get on that train and get that camera of yours up to Tabusiris Magna :) oh and don't forget your trowel....oh and a pipe to remove some of that water.Infact what about your hoover pipe seeming as it isn't much good for anything else :D
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

:lol:Actually I was out near Taposiris Magna last week ...... but was far too busy scoffing my Christmas Dinner to give two hoots about what was just down the road a bit!
Next time I'm over that way, I will pop in.

So for now you might all be forced to listen to our escapades in Rosetta.
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Goddess wrote:
So for now you might all be forced to listen to our escapades in Rosetta.
That will do me :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And me :)