Wallander

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Wallander

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Years ago I tried to watch the first ever TV series of Wallander but gave up. Whether it bored me because of the script, the acting or the settings I have no idea. Suffice to say, after the first hour, it didn't appeal. Over the next few years, I read quite a few books by Scandinavian authors and enjoyed them, so last week I finally plucked up the courage to try the first book in the Wallander series and, to my surprise, I'm thoroughly enjoying them! :up Is anyone else a fan of Henning Mankell? Is anyone reading anything at all? :urm:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Wallander

Post by Horus »

I don't do as much reading nowadays as I used to, but I do listen to Audio Books when I get the time, usually if I am out for a long walk with Annie. Talking of Scandanavian authors and settings, I loved the trilogy of books by the Swedish author Stieg Larsson who sadly died quite young. The three books (all published after his death) are 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' which is the first in the 'Millennium' series followed by 'The Girl who Played with Fire' and 'The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest' is the last book. They all feature the same list of characters and although brutal in parts as they deal with the rape and abuse of a young woman and the resultant consequences, they are gripping and intriguing books to read if you like a good detective type book. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm quite eclectic in my reading matter, Horus - apart from modern science fiction and westerns! So maybe when I finish with Henning Mankell, I'll give Stieg Larsson a try. I find that I prefer the more cerebral type of detective books rather that the blood and guts type though. Another favourite Scandinavian detective writer is Camilla Lackberg. Have you read any of hers?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think you may enjoy reading them RS, they are not so much blood and guts, but rather they have this chilling and unpleasant event that forms the background to the storylines that links all three books. I found it to be a compelling storyline once the background has been fleshed out and plenty happening to keep you wondering what is going on and who the real baddies are, the main character Lisbeth Salander is damaged goods, she is helped by a magazine editor Mikael Blomkvist (who is facing big problems of his own, the storyline is cleverly interwoven with several events taking place involving those and other characters. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Mm! Sounds interesting! Thanks for the tip. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

His books are so popular that all of them have been made into films, unfortunately with sub-titles, but none the less enjoyable. I also see that his estate has employed another Swedish author to produce several more books that he had roughed out the storylines to, one has already been published entitled 'The Girl in the Spiders Web' (£3.99 on Kindle) must see about reading that one. ;)