Tales from Africa, Fishing with my mate Joe

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Tales from Africa, Fishing with my mate Joe

Post by Horus »

Tales from Africa
Fishing with my mate Joe

I think that the place was the Luansemfwa River, but time has dimmed my memory slightly. What I do remember is that a group of us had gone for a long weekend’s fishing together. As usual my mate Joe McClean, along with a couple more guys would share my boat, how many others came along depended upon how many boats we could muster for the trip. Joe was an older man and probably twice my age; over the years that I knew him I had come to look upon this rugged Scot from the Isle of Beauly as something of a father figure. We would do the usual bit, set up the camp, spend an evening having more than a few beers, tell stories around the fire and have a load of laughs, before finally going to sleep prior to setting off at the crack of dawn to do some fishing, Joe loved his fishing. In those days we drank ‘Lion’ & ‘Castle’ lager, but they renamed them ‘Mosi’ no doubt a reference to the name given by the Kololo tribe living in the area of the Victoria Falls, who referred to the falls as "Mosi-oa-Tunya". This name translates as "The Smoke that Thunders" an excellent description of the falls itself as the sound of it that can be heard miles away and the spray rises high into the air like the smoke from a huge fire, you get a similar effect with the beer as you remove the cap from the bottle. The other was renamed ‘Muchinga’ after the rocky escarpment that separates Zambia from neighbouring Malawi, but I never figured out why.

So off we would go, the boat on full plane up the river for quite a while heading towards an area where there were many submerged trees. We would throw out a rudimentary anchor and drift along casting our lures left and right as we chose, sometimes criss-crossing each other for that special place where the big one would be. As you can imagine there were many times that we crossed lines or hooked a submerged tree. We would usually have the best results by using a yellow spotted lure about 2” in length, 50mm in new money. I cannot remember the source of our lures but I do remember that they were expensive, I think at the time it equated to around £5 each all those years ago. Now Joe being a true Scotsman would not give up snagged lures that had cost £5 each without a fight. So when the inevitable snagged lure occurred, Joe spent about 20 minutes trying to free it without much success. He then decided that he would have to dive down under the water to free it, the rest of us were horrified, “Don’t be so bloody stupid Joe! What about the crocs” I said. “It’s all right laddie, they don’t live in fast flowing water” he replied, to this day I still think that he was confusing the life cycle of the Bilharzia water snail with that of crocodiles.

He took the emergency paddle from the back of the boat, thrust it into my hands and said “If anything comes at me, hit it with this” and like a fool I stood there with this small wooden paddle ready to fight off a bloody crocodile! Now I wonder if you have ever seen a poor swimmer trying to dive under the water from the surface? His head would plunge under the water and he splashed a lot but he did not go anywhere, it was like watching synchronised drowning. To make matters worse he would go ‘Commando’ when it came to underpants, so we were treated to this awesome sight of Joe trying to imitate a diving duck dressed only in his birthday suit, at each attempt we had to endure viewing his backside bobbing up and down like a duck and ‘the last Turkey in the shop’ flopping around.
After a while we managed to persuade him back into the boat as by now his splashing must have been attracting every crocodile in Africa, I have seen Wildebeest crossing the Masai Mara river making less splashing noises than he did. So having pulled his shorts back on again he sat with his legs straddling the seat in the centre of the boat. He was trying out different lures and in his usual careless manner the discarded lures each fitted with two sets of barbed treble hooks were left lying everywhere, on the bottom of the boat and also on the fibre glass seat he was straddling. I was steering the boat and as such had to keep looking forwards to see where we were going, believe me it was not a pretty sight! With legs akimbo, certain of Joe’s appendages were dangling down the leg of his shorts! In a strange way I was reminded of one of those medieval leather purses belonging to a rich man. “How am I expected to steer a boat looking at your dangley bits?” I wailed. He assured me that on a windy day in the highlands I would have to put up with much worse than that!

Now I swear that what happened next was unintentional, quite out of the blue, one of those submerged trees appeared and I did a hard left-hand turn to avoid it. Joe lunged to the right and slid along the smooth fibreglass seat, the discarded lures he had left lying on the seat followed him and shot up the leg of his shorts! Joe was transfixed with a frozen look of horror on his face, a rats nest of fishing line, lures and treble hooks were attached to the inside leg of his shorts, with several treble hooks having a delicate but firm hold on very sensitive parts of his anatomy. Now this is when you know who your mates really are, barely able to see for tears of laughter, I eventually managed to remove the hooks with the help of a sharp knife and a pair of long nosed pliers, much to Joe’s relief. It is a wonder that this experience has not left me mentally scarred for life and it has taken me 40 years to write this account. Sadly Joe passed away a few years ago. but I am sure I can hear the sound of a canny old Scotsman from Beauly laughing over my shoulder as I write this story.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Tales from Africa, Fishing with my mate Joe

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good one H!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think my imagination is eminently capable of picturing the scenes! :lol: :up :up :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great story Horus :) The poor canny Scotsman ;) :lol: I can just imagine the look on his face & yours :)

Good laugh to get me going for the day :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you folks enjoyed the tale. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Fishy stories are usually about the one that got away Horus ;) but Joe seems to have caught his tackle with his tackle.... :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - :))) :)))
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Horus - what actual fish were you hoping to catch? Were they sports fish after you caught them? (like salmon) or where they drudge drags like if you catch a dogfish? (Like a small shark here that once snag just lie there like a lump) or fighters like bass?

And - IF you'd of caught an alligator or a crocodile HOW would you have gotten it off the hook or would you have killed it? And would you have eaten it?

I recall in about my second visit to Trinidad the kids caught a small cayman in a swamp down the road. It was god awful trying to unhook it and/or even get close to it. Ultimately it was somehow killed and we ate it ;) Tasted pretty good too as I recall......
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ Horus - what actual fish were you hoping to catch? Were they sports fish after you caught them? (like salmon) or where they drudge drags like if you catch a dogfish? (Like a small shark here that once snag just lie there like a lump) or fighters like bass?
All the fish were sport fish and would put up quite a fight and some could bite back, Aka Nile Perch.
And - IF you'd of caught an alligator or a crocodile HOW would you have gotten it off the hook or would you have killed it? And would you have eaten it?
They are of course not Alligators, but Crocodiles and you are unlikely to catch one whist fishing, although once I did hook one in the back by accident, but that is another story. ;)
I recall in about my second visit to Trinidad the kids caught a small cayman in a swamp down the road. It was god awful trying to unhook it and/or even get close to it. Ultimately it was somehow killed and we ate it ;) Tasted pretty good too as I recall......
I have eaten Allegator, but not Croc, but imagine they taste similar although I was not that impressed.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

All meat in Trinidad is highly spiced and flavoured so it is quite possible the actual 'meat' was pretty blah and bland. Might have been the particular combo of spices that made it tasty.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I actually tried my Alligator steaks in the Florida Everglades. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've never had alligator or crocodile meat - just caymen in TnT. I have had iguana is Trinidad too and it was the most delicate delicious meat I've ever tasted and it was not spiced.

As an aside right now they're having another term of reptile hunting/cull in Florida (and maybe the entire southern area). There have been so many reptiles released or escaped the southern states are now overrun with pythons and constrictors and all manner of "introduced" reptiles that are not native to the area. All these introduced species quickly adapted, grew and multiplied to the point they're now posing a danger.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes I have seen lots of programs about the problems in Florida in particular with Burmese Pythons :o