Anyone reading?

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Anyone reading?

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Just started a book by a new to me author. The author is Ahdaf Souief and the book is called 'The Map of Love'. It is three stories in one, insofar as it tells the story of three different women of different generations. Set between England and Egypt, it ranges from the late 1800's up to the late 1990's. Not a lightweight book, by any means, (over 700 pages) it has taken me the first 200 pages to get into, but now that I have, i can't put it down.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Anyone reading?

Post by Horus »

Ooh that sounds like my idea of hell, I would hate the storyline as I hate books about other peoples lives and as for reading 200 pages before I started to enjoy it, No Way! if it didn't grip me in the first few pages that would be it, in the bin. Mind you I would not have bought it in the first place :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Sounds interesting RS :)

At the moment I'm reading " The Sunne in Splendour" all about Richard III from his boyhood years to death at Bosworth.

It has gripped me from the start but, the more I read about Richard & all his family etc you get to know each individual character :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I didn't buy it, Horus. I downloaded it from the library! :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:I didn't buy it, Horus. I downloaded it from the library! :D
Well that's alright then :lol:
When I do read, which is not so often these days, I like either a good historical book, or a thriller type such as 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' trilogy or any of the 'Alex Cross' books. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I'm just reading the paper ;) :lol:

I have never been a bookworm and prefer to browse factual and non fiction books. I DID read a book 60 years ago, 'The Darling Buds of May' but I was in hospital and it helped pass the time. :)

I read another one a few weeks ago. When I got Mrs G her first Kindle a few months ago we loaded it with a number of 'Best Sellers'. As I could also read them on my tablet I did select and persevere with 'The Girl on the Train'. I read it to the end and decided that will probably be the last fictional novel that I shall read......what a lot of old tosh. :(
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, I don't remember a time when I couldn't or didn't read! :lol: I have three apps on my tablet - Kindle, iBook and The library app - so I can never say I have nothing to read these days! Would you believe that I married a man that DOESN'T read? :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Would you believe that I married a man that DOESN'T read? :(
They say opposites attract RS. ;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

RS, my late wife always had a book (or her Kindle) in her hand and she was a real speed reader, she could get through a book in a day no problem :o
She would take out library books and I would also load her lots of .Mobi file books onto her Kindle, I also bought her a Kobo reader so she could get library downloads as well.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - the 700 pages might or might not have dissuaded me from starting the book but once I get into a book I usually can't put it down. In my younger days I'd often stay up all night so I could read a book to the end.

I spent my working life having to read thousands of pages daily (or so it seemed :urm: ) always full of highly specific and technical info - reports, test results etc and I do have a bent to want to continue reading serious technical type books.

Now I try and force me to read for enjoyment and I do love biographies re: real people (NOT movie star types) who have accomplished something extraordinary or important or suffered or had something unique happen to them in their lives. For example - I seem to be able to read ALL accounts of the Holocaust ad nauseum and find each and every one fascinating.

I couldn't put down the trilogy Horus mentioned - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Kicking a hornets nest while playing with fire. Excellent books and rather disappointed to find out the author has passed.

I also like the type of book you've described here particularly if it is historically accurate. Might give it a whirl if I know it is a good read otherwise 700 pages may have dissuaded me before I even started reading ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Well, I've finished it and I'm still digesting it! It has totally blown me away and I can't think of suitable superlatives to describe it! LLL, if you can find it, do read it. I learned so much from this book about the early politics of Egypt - and other countries, in relation to Egypt - and it goes a long way to understanding the problems that the Arab nations are now facing. Just looking at the title, you would be forgiven for thinking it was a lightweight love story. It IS a love story, but so much more! Never judge a book by its cover, they say, and in the case of this book, so, so true. :up
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Poor, poor, Grandad, :( :( :( - missing out on the world of fantasy and comedy and science fiction, and a few Ed Mcbain for the bathroom - - .My house is full of books, coming and going, as if there is no work I can read to my hearts content. I have no kindle, but I have charity shops full to bursting that sell me a boxful for a euro . . . I love this country - - :D
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I seem to be continuing with the Egypt theme. I've just started 'Letters from Egypt' by Lady Lucy Duff-Gordon.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have to say I've read, very extensively, many books (novels to text books) re: women's issues in Saudi Arabia specifically and the Middle East in general. Each and every book fascinates me so will have a look see to see if I can find "The Map of Love."

@RS - did you say you downloaded it for free? Do have happen to have the link you can post here?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I downloaded it from my local library, LLL! :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I checked both Librarys I can get books from and :( there is only 1 hardcopy available and I just don't do hard copies of books at libraries anymore.

Usually I'm motivated to pick up but the return can be - well not as motivated to return.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Try Jubilee Farm on FB, she puts lists up of free books for kindles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Jayway - Will have a look see. Mostly I get all my free books from Amazon.com. I usually check every couple of days to see what they have listed for free under their top 100 best sellers. If I see a free book that has, at least, 4 out of 5 stars and if it appeals I'll buy it so I have it on my Kindle. I usually narrow my search down to Biographies followed by Mysteries. I also am looking to see that lots of people have given the 4 or 5 out of 5 star rating. Some of the free books are very well written too.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I read The Map of Love when it first came out, and unusually for me have been back to enjoy it several times since.

Her follow-up The Eye of The Sun is completely different, but I enjoyed it nearly as much.
Smile! It confuses people
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

LLL, how can you buy it if its A FREE BOOK ??? :ni: