Have you ever........

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Have you ever........

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Grandad referenced in another post that he has a million stories from the past and should write a book. Have you ever? Have you ever thought about actually seriously sitting down and writing a book? Would you?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Have you ever........

Post by Horus »

It has crossed my mind a few times, but I suppose like many others it is a fleeting whim. I did once start to jot down a few chapters, but after a while you start to wonder just who else would actually be interested in reading your own life story, we all have events in our life, but would they be worth writing about?
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

I could write a book on my life that would make a lovely disaster movie - - ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I don't have the skill to write interesting descriptive prose. All the writing I did in my working life was more formal and report style so no place for imaginative description there.

The little stories I have mentioned elsewhere are about a boy between the ages of 5 and 11 through the war years. They are about experiences and adventures at a time when I have no recollection of pedophiles and, as young children we had little fear and also had a lot of freedom to go out into the countryside even through those years.

I did write them down in draft form some years ago and have since been trying to work up some enthusiasm to expand them into something interesting. A sort of wartime Harry Potter perhaps... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My girlfriend on her retirement has been trying to write a book on the role of women in the UK Army WWII era. She was a Captain, involved in the Suez incident etc etc. There is minimal written on this topic and research is sparse. She is hoping to get pen seriously to paper and be able to expand on what it was like. She isn't writing an autobiography but instead is hoping to produce historical fiction.

I've thought the same about writing a book but I've only ever written factual documentation. I've written LOTS and did produced a 420 page thesis once when I decided to add some more letters to my name. The actual writing isn't difficult if you actually story board it and write each section as per your guideline. My idea would be to write a book of short stories about different people.

I do think many people think about this but don't ever follow through. I think our memories would be very much sought after - once we're gone so are our experiences which are not the way of today.