A hidden world of superstitions and black magic

There is still great magic in Egypt and the rest of the world. The paranormal, astrology, leylines, rituals, telepathy and ESP interest us all. Discuss the mysterious aspects of life that appeal to your sixth sense here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

A hidden world of superstitions and black magic

Post by DJKeefy »

CAIRO: Hala Salah, 45, has always dismissed the idea of black magic and spell until one day she claims to have been forced to believe otherwise.

“Although my husband and I have been happily married for the last 13 years, last year I felt he changed,” said Salah.

That was when she felt he had fallen under a curse and was advised by friends to seek the help of a magician.

“When I did, I got the shock of my life: he [the magician] asked me if I were pregnant. When I said no, he insisted that the wife of the person in question is expecting.

“I dismissed it all as irrelevant, but a few days later some friends came to tell me that he had another wife. And when I cornered him, he confessed and said that the woman was pregnant.”

“After that incident, how do you not want me to believe?” said Salah.

At an era of technological advancement and scientific progress, many well-educated people in Egypt as well in the Arab world still resort to black magic and believe in superstitions.

Casting spells and contacting the world of Jinn and spirits has been practiced for centuries in Middle Eastern cultures, where people turn to the skills of a saher (someone who practices black magic) to arrange the order of things the way the clients desire.

Today, illiterate and educated groups alike are turning to black magic and other superstitions even though certain Quranic verses indicate that resorting to black magic and the world of the Jinn is a major sin.

The subject of black magic is so extensive that it would take years to be studied and analyzed. All types of sources — books or websites — would provide a hoard of information on it.

It is defined as the ability to change the nature of things, causing them to appear different from what they really are in the eyes of the one targeted by the spell.

A study undertaken on the issue by Dr. Mohamed Abdel Azim of the Criminal Research Center in 2005 pointed out that there are more than 300,000 people pracitic black magic in different parts of Egypt.

The study noted that some $5 billion are spent annually on superstitions in Egypt and the rest of the Arab world.

According to the study, 38 percent of public figures in the fields of cinema, sports, culture and politics have at some point resorted to these ‘magicians.’

Obsessions preoccupying Egyptians’ minds including spinsterhood, infertility and sexual potency trigger the need for these kinds of services, which are available in Cairo namely in popular districts like Sharabiya and Sayeda Zeinab.

Murtada Adel, a retired legal consultant, had a daughter who faced problems getting married. When his wife told him that his sister-in-law had jinxed her using an evil spell, he refused to believe.

A month after visiting a spell-breaker, the girl got engaged, although Adel is still having a hard time believing it was more than pure coincidence.

But while the belief in black magic and related practices remains deeply-rooted, religious authorities continue to undermine its illusory nature and warn people against the consequences.

Hosted by Al-Jazeera satellite channel’s “Sharia Wal Hayat,” Sheikh Yousif Al Qaradawi, a well-known Muslim scholar, explained that the world of Jinn does really exist. Having said that, he assured that it is not capable of such deeds many attribute to it.

He argued that Jinn is inferior to man, which makes it impossible for man to rely on it to fulfill their needs.

Citing reliable sources on the subject, Al Qaradwai pointed out that if magicians were actually capable of causing good or harm, it would have been possible for them to seize property, extract treasures from the earth and conquer countries.

Meanwhile, Dr. Safwan Mahmoud, who claims to be a professional exorcist, offers paid services to clients at home and attends weddings with the aim of providing protection in case a spell is cast on the happy newlyweds.

Some of his clients revealed that on visiting their houses he poured some liquids into places where spells are thought to have been cast. In case the spell is internal — affecting the body — he uses loud recitations of the Holy Quran.

“Not all exorcists are genuine,” said Nour Mohamed, the Imam of a Maadi mosque.

“I would like to point out that the exorcist should not necessarily be familiar with the magicians’ ways so that he would be able to treat the bewitched person,” he added. “If he or she starts telling you about the source of the spell and the character of the perpetrator, you should immediately dismiss them as frauds.

“The true exorcist should heal only with the help of the Holy Quran,” he said.

Last week the confessions of a repentant Saudi sorcerer came as a blow to magicians in the same line of work. The press reported that Dawood El Rimi, the most notorious magician in Mecca and the Arab world, who has been practicing black magic for the last 40 years, renounced his career and publicly avowed his evildoings.

Having broken homes and caused married couples to be separated over the years, El Rimi confessed that a magician can never become familiar with the unknown. He added that a magician would tell you a word of truth and a thousand lies, but some of the facts he might reveal are the result of befriending one Jinn that brings him bits and pieces of news about his clients and their enemies.

There are pious Jinn, but those can’t be possessed by magicians or accept to be at any man’s service, El Rimi explained, admitting that ignorance about true religion was what caused him to take this path.

Dr. Nadra Wahdan, sociologist at the National Planning Institute, doubts that El Rimi’s confession will prevent people from relying on such superstitions. “In Egypt as well as other countries in the Third World, the impact of beliefs is much stronger than that of culture,” said Wahdan.

“But that the world of spirits and Jinn does truly exist wouldn’t necessarily translate into the fact that we know about it and that those magicians have mastered its ways. We should dismiss their knowledge as fake and irrelevant.

“Perhaps the secrets of this world are residing in some other sciences like parapsychology that is capable of working miracles of divine nature. But not so many can claim to be versed in that science.

“I also doubt that magicians or any other group have knowledge about the nature of these unseen powers. The ancients could have been familiar with such sciences but little has been traced about how knowledgeable they were.”

“The issue should be addressed as early as childhood. Again culture is the key. Focus on culture to counter superstitions,” noted the sociologist.

All names of interviewees involved in black magic have been changed upon their request.

Source: Daily News Egypt

FABlux

Post by FABlux »

In view of our 2 car accidents in a month :roll: a number of local people have said we should kill a male lamb & put our hand prints of its blood all over our car to ward off the evil eye. My thought is that the people who hit our car had almost certainly done that to their vehicles & look what happened but a third & I might rethink :oops: so watch out lambs :lol:
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Hmmm, I think I could do with some of this black magic ;)
Oh dear Fabs, somehow I can't see you putting bloody fingerprints all over your car :o, but then again ;)
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]A Coptic friend of mine went, within days of buying his car, to El Sheib (sp?), the monestry off the road out to the airport, to have his car blessed by the monks there. Even when he visited an elderly female relative she went out and 'sprinkled' the car and prayed over it.[/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Driving in Luxor it seems you do need all the divine help you can get.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
Karenh

Post by Karenh »

I would agree with prchick, but I think I would change it to Egypt!! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted :lol: ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've often wondered 'why' we refer to magic as "black?" Is it cause we somehow assume magic is going to be bad? There is no such counterpart as white magic that I've ever heard of.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Actually LLL there is :)
Here in the UK some sections of the 'Witchy' community describe themselves as 'White Witches' because they practice none harmful, beneficial spells. ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

The truth be known LLL, we are all capable of so much more than just being born, getting an "educashun" and working our entire life and being dependent upon authority.

Authority through various institutions will have you believe that life is exactly as they tell it. truth be known, it's nothing like that.

Over thousands of years, the various religions ( created by Authority) went to a lot of effort to enforce their way of thinking to dumbed down the human race and take away our power. Make us dependent upon them and put the fear of god into your soul.

Try using the power of thought and realise just how powerful it really is, it's not really magic, it a knowledge that we are all born with and it holds our entire universe together. For the vast majority, they only realise it right at the very end.

The only limits are your imagination.. 8)
Curses are just powerful thoughts, how you use your magic is up to you.. ;)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
denisegr

Post by denisegr »

Horus wrote:Actually LLL there is :)
Here in the UK some sections of the 'Witchy' community describe themselves as 'White Witches' because they practice none harmful, beneficial spells. ;)
This is true a friend of mine is a white witch, he even has his own wand.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Was that 'wand' or 'band' Bill? :lol: :lol:
BillH

Post by BillH »

I cant see that anyone would need to use a Wand Horus.. :?
Guess it's for some kind of showmanship or something... 8)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting. I've never heard of white magic.......only Black.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Didn't you ever watch Bewitched ! LLL ? I'm sure Samantha was referred to as a White Witch... ::)
jewel

Post by jewel »

My mother is a witch and practices natural magic - we were brought up on the teachings of nature, and seeing the "magic" all around us.................if only we look we will find all the answers, if you read books by Doreen valiente (one of the founders of modern Wicca )or marian green they will explain exactly the nature of natural magic and witchcraft.
As with similar beliefs to the druids, magic is all around us in stones, flowers, stars, the wind, the sunset cloud, rain the moon in its cycles etc All we need is the ability to see it, understand it, and apply it.
Magic is meant to help people and if you look you will find the magic inherent in human life and nature

It is related to paganirm and the "old religion"............................the black arts or satanism are very different animals.

All I can say if you have never danced barefoot in the grass under a full moon.......you really do not know what you are missing ;)
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

--- - - - - -

Post by Jayway »

Nice Jewel , you were lucky. I certainly would dance around barefoot - but only if the rest of me was fully-clothed - :lol: :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If Jewel could let us know her next venue :)
Grandad, BigKen, Bearded Brian & Myself may be avilable to take some artistic photo's :)
Purely in the interest of cultural enhancement and diversification you understand and to perfect our nightime photography techniques. ;) :lol:
jewel

Post by jewel »

I certainly would dance around barefoot - but only if the rest of me was fully-clothed -
Well now you mention it ;) it is very liberating minus the clothes :lol:
a bit like "skinny dipping" :P its so stimulating on a hot day in the hills just to jump in the cool mountain stream pool as nature intended - best on a moss covered stone in a waterfall aaaaaah who needs jacuzzis? ;)
If Jewel could let us know her next venue
Well its in a location somewhere in the british isles, so that narrows it down :)
Grandad, BigKen, Bearded Brian & Myself may be avilable to take some artistic photo's
Purely in the interest of cultural enhancement and diversification you understand and to perfect our nightime photography techniques.
:lol: I bet! ;)
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I believe in give and take, tit for tat, equality and all that....if Jewel dances for you guys the it has to your turn to dance for the rest of us! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Be careful what you wish for :lol: :lol: