Men! I don't understand them!

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Should MK tell "New Squeeze" to butt out of her life?

Yes! He doesn't deserve her!
83%
NO! Don't waste a chance for something beautiful.
17%

Total votes: 6

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: Men! I don't understand them!

Post by Jayway » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 am

I wonder where Miriam Kalifa is now ? She was the author if I remember ? Hope she has learned to handle her men a bit better, crying indeed - only thing I have ever cried over was the death of my mare - -

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:30 am

Horus, I have never fully understood why no one ever gave the gods honest about many aspects of life in Luxor. Everyone at some point has been ripped off, Egyptians included. Everyone has over paid for something, everyone has been let down by a workman.. prices fluctuate depending on your skin tone. No one living there gets rock bottom prices for everything. Everyone at some point has got too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and they have all, at some point got well and truly faffed off with the electric/water/internet/phones.

There are some wonderful Egyptians to be found, and some really good souls willing to help and assist... and there are some right illegitimates who sell their own grannies to further their gains. We had some wonderful times, and some horror moments. I am probably just hard faced enough to admit I cocked up along the way :lol:
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:00 pm

:br: Well done you for speaking up and telling it the way it is. Most of us who have visited on regular holidays could see behind the façade that many tried to present, it was as if they were in some sort of denial about the place. I have talked to Keefy when he lived there and after he returned and there is no doubt that things are getting steadily worse, both economically and socially with many breakdowns in respect for foreigners. Most worrying is that many people with a good conduct record and who assumed they were good citizens, suddenly find themselves being accused of some infringement then told to leave, or just told to leave with no explanation. There seems no way for them to challenge this which quite often seems to be the arbitrary decision of a local official who was most likely bribed in some way. From what I have seen the whole system is riven with corruption and an inability to apply a common set of rules across the board.

All of this new visa requirements we see so much about probably has some ulterior motive, not that the Egyptians are not allowed to issue and enforce visas as they wish, but more so because it seems to have no real logic to the way it is applied. A person could be told that they must leave for a period of time (this is quite obvious from the amount of people who enquire about visiting neighbouring countries for short stays) in order to qualify for a new visa, this is fine just so long as they let them back in again, especially if they have their home there. However there are no guarantees and most will just have to believe what they are told then get an awful surprise when they try to go back again and are refused entry, even though all the powers that be tell them there is no reason to refuse them entry, but they do and there is no way to appeal. The more I see of this the more I am convinced it is driven by greed and corruption somewhere down the line and a bit of Baksheesh in the right place can result in someone (especially if their goods or property are coveted) will find themselves on the next plane out.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:43 pm

I've always held the opinion that if tourists were flocking to the place & paying big bucks then there was typically enough $$ to go all around and, as Robbo says, some days somebody somewhere is getting ripped off just like somebody somewhere is getting a bit extra for paying a bit less. All averages out but just can't be 100% rosey all the time. Logically that doesn't happen anywhere in the world. The Luxor crew were in a world of their own and denile is more than a river in Egypt but soon they seemed to protest too much and anybody with a modicum of common sense had to see things were going downhill and going fast.

Now that the country is really feeling the pinch those in high(er) places, am sure, are coveting some of what the Expats have particularly those who did have the financial means to set themselves up well and so while they're not really "Nationalizing" I'm darn sure they're going to cherry pick with a whap of baksheesh and be able to acquire that which they want. This will be done to the detriment of the Expats and to not recognize this as a possibility is naïve. Very naïve to down right silly.

I do believe given the way of the world there is still going to be some hard(er) times imposed on Egypt and the people and Expats by extension. It may never be admitted but IMO quite a few have lost everything and have slunk away to lick their wounds.

Anyway - as we do come towards the end of the year I thought a bit of a flash from the past would give us all a short trip down "memory lane" so we could "remember when."

PRChick did pass away and I have not heard anything re: Miriam Khalifa other than what Bennu has written about on the blue side when she has periodically heard that Miriam won an award for her writing. I think some of the other names are still 'about' but don't know if they ever check in on here.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes I can remember when Miriam first took up her pen and we all encouraged her to continue. :up

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Way back when there seemed to be more people who talked from a knowledge base on a wide variety of topics (on L4U & E4U) now (on L4U) it is just a few with really limited subject matter.

I know WI just said on the blue that we don't talk about anything here on E4U related to Egypt but then she hasn't taken the initiative to post anything on here herself about Egypt and doesn't otherwise post or contribute. Seems quite a few posters want to be entertained by what WE say but contribute nothing to keeping the Forum interesting and on a range of topics. The Stats are always high that there are LOTS of people logging onto here but it has puzzled me for a long time as to why 90 to 95% of them opt never to post or say a word. I've tried to skew the stats by signing in multiple times but no matter how many times I log on the counter only counts me once so I can only conclude that when it says we've had 117 (or whatever number) visitors in the last 24 hours that number is true and real.

IMO whilst this form is called E4U it is amenable to talking about anything and what WE have in common is that we have all been to Egypt.

Just interesting to go down Memory Lane every now and again and bring back what was.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:29 pm

That is what I tried to explain to WI that people need to contribute in order to change the make up on any forum, it is no use dropping by once in a while and complaining that there is nothing to interest them. They should try starting some topics that they like, it is not as if there is enough going on in Egypt to keep all the regulars on here interested and if we are not posting, then who is? I sometimes think that people expect it to be like a newspaper that they can pop in and read and that we are the journalists doing it all for their benefit. :urm:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:23 am

@H - I read on the blue what your wrote to WI which is the basis of my earlier comment. You're totally correct though.

Right now we've had 102 "visitors" or "lookie lous" or "voyeurs" or whatever you want to call them in the past 24 horus and 19 actual log-ons but yet most remain silent.

I quite suspect we're providing endless entertainment (almost like overhearing gossip but never commenting) for quite a few who then use what we're writing as the basis of their own cliquey gossip yet they never contribute or take any responsibility for keeping the Forum going.

I mean really if you want to talk about all that is Egyptian then post about it. If you're waiting to talk about some other topic then by all means POST IT. I'm more than sure we'd all comment or quite a few of us would if the topic is of interest and I'm not including cutting and pasting from a magazine. I know I do it sometimes but geez if it is done all the time with no personal touch it gets dry.

I kinda wish Keefy would combine Red Sea4U and Egypt4U. We might end up picking up a few more Posters cause any time I've gone there it has only be Jayway posting! ;)

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:10 am

To be honest LLL, I don't think there is even enough for more than one forum the way it is now let alone three. It was better when it was just the one, but having said that, when it was I can recall people who rarely or never post on there anymore complaining that there were too many photographs, or that all the topics were not Egypt related, so I suppose you can't really win either way you try. :st

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:22 pm

A year or so back maybe even 2 yrs ago I did make that proposal to Keefy about combining us all into one but I don't recall his answer now or if there even was one. I'd assume it costs $$ to keep them all going but ?

Now that you mention it I recall the criticism of the photos too. Never quite got that one as it is so easy to just skip over a photo particularly on here when you don't even have to enlarge it or comment on it if you don't want to.

We do seem to have a small gaggle of terrific posters on here who do keep the comments and topics interesting. I quite enjoy the photos and travelogues of daily outings and big trips.

Still neat to remember 'back when' and I do seem to do the remembering back always as I get towards the end of the year. This isn't a June or July phenomenon for me but it definitely is towards Christmas and the end of the year.