Warnings

Post details here of scams you have discovered or hassles you have experienced.<br>
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Warnings

Post by Ebikatsu »

When an Egyptian shopkeeper comes out of his shop, swinging a pocket watch or his medallion on a chain ,telling you he has a postcard and it is in English and he wants you to come inside his shop to translate it for him.

Roughly translated this means 'Empty your purse or wallet on the counter and take this little blue scarab in exchange'

:mrgreen:

Carry on walking

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS] :lol: That reminds me of a day in Luxor some years ago. I had been to visit the St. Maria church and had arranged to meet a friend later for a drink. As I was early I decided not to get a taxi but to saunter down the road for a while. I was approached near a Gold shop by a very young man who wanted help in writitng a letter to his 'English mother and father'. Well, as it was rather hot and I needed a sit down I decided to go into the shop with him and help. I wasn't expecting the door to be locked behind me, but was relieved to see the keys remained in the lock and that I was much closer to the door than he was behind hid counter. Anyway, I helped him write his letter, waiting all the time for the 'punch line' and expectation of purchase. At one point someone came to speak the young man and he left the shop, closing the door but with the keys still left on the inside. There I was like a child in a sweety shop - 'bling, bling, bling' - so much gold all around me. I really could have helped myself to anything as not everything was behind locked cabinets, and anyway I had access to the keys. When he came back he had an envelope in his hand and I was more than pleasantly surpised when he asked me if I'd post his letter when I got back to England and gave me LE5 for the postage.

The point of my sharing this experience is that not everyone in Egypt is out to hypnotise you and rip you off, you just have to be cautious. In hind sight I realised I could have been putting myself in a very vulnerable postion and I got well and truely told off by my Egyptian friends when I met them and told them how I had spent the last 40 minutes.

So, be wary, take care, but do not just assume that everyone is 'the enemy'.[/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

That's a lovely story Hepzibah :)

I had the same sort of thing. Walked in the shop and the door was shut and he moved his wooden chair to the closed door and sat on it, so I couldn't get out :?

I finally managed to get him to move the chair with me armed with a load of treacle coloured figurines in a carrier bag , and an empty purse :lol:

Gotta love them for trying

:mrgreen:

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Maybe it's just Americans, but I would have said "Get out of my way and open that door or I'll scream bloody murder."
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

PRChick-I'm 100 percent with you, although I have to say Hepzibah's story really sounds innocent and not like he did anything wrong. But there are cases where shop owners would pull a stunt of locking someone in a shop.

Frankly I think if Egypt had more American visitors, tourists would have to put up with less ******** than they do because Europeans seem to be a lot more tolerant of unacceptable behavior than Americans or Egyptians would be and they seem to set the standard for the those work in tourism. If only everyone were to react like you did in that story you posted earlier today on the blue side, Egypt would be a better place for visitors. It's like the time someone in Luxor said to me, "Why is it if I try with 100 European women I get lucky once but I have to try 1000 times with American women to get lucky once?" Americans have a reputation of not putting up with crap in Egypt and that in my opinion is a good thing!

FABlux

Post by FABlux »

PRchick wrote:Maybe it's just Americans, but I would have said "Get out of my way and open that door or I'll scream bloody murder."
You & me both PR :x Probably shortly before smashing the window/door

FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Sorry double post. Got this the first time :?

Could not obtain post/user information.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1194 Table 'pt' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

SELECT u.username, u.user_id, u.user_posts, u.user_from, u.user_weblog, u.user_website, u.user_birthday, u.birthday_display, u.user_email, u.user_icq, u.user_aim, u.user_yim, u.user_regdate, u.user_timezone, u.user_msnm, u.user_viewemail, u.user_rank, u.user_sig, u.user_sig_bbcode_uid, u.user_avatar, u.user_avatar_type, u.user_allowavatar, u.user_allowsmile, u.user_cf_iso3661_1, u.user_allow_viewonline, u.user_session_time, p.*, pt.post_text, pt.post_subject, pt.bbcode_uid, pt.scribble_string FROM phpbb_posts p, phpbb_users u, phpbb_posts_text pt WHERE p.topic_id = 386 AND pt.post_id = p.post_id AND u.user_id = p.poster_id ORDER BY p.post_time ASC LIMIT 0, 25

Line : 430
File : viewtopic.php
Last edited by FABlux on Sun May 24, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

PRchick wrote:Maybe it's just Americans, but I would have said "Get out of my way and open that door or I'll scream bloody murder."
Not just Americans PR - I'd have done a fair bit of hopping up and down and cussing too!

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Hee Hee! :lol:

You too Fabby?!

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Forgot to say - quite enjoyed your little tale Hepzi. I couldn't have done it myself because of pure paranoia .... but just goes to show, I'm impressed he even paid for the stamp too!

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

In my defence :mrgreen:
I think I had just stepped off the plane for the first time in Luxor, if I remember correctly.

If anyone tried that stunt these days I would go all 'Arnie' on them Image ROFL

I have been know to chase a flasher through a street in Giza chucking a half bottle of Sprite over his head ;)

You are right of course.
The Brits are too polite. Americans are much more in the face rude if something upsets them. These gigolo's need a day in the Bronx :lol:

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

FABlux wrote:Sorry double post. Got this the first time :?

Could not obtain post/user information.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1194 Table 'pt' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

SELECT u.username, u.user_id, u.user_posts, u.user_from, u.user_weblog, u.user_website, u.user_birthday, u.birthday_display, u.user_email, u.user_icq, u.user_aim, u.user_yim, u.user_regdate, u.user_timezone, u.user_msnm, u.user_viewemail, u.user_rank, u.user_sig, u.user_sig_bbcode_uid, u.user_avatar, u.user_avatar_type, u.user_allowavatar, u.user_allowsmile, u.user_cf_iso3661_1, u.user_allow_viewonline, u.user_session_time, p.*, pt.post_text, pt.post_subject, pt.bbcode_uid, pt.scribble_string FROM phpbb_posts p, phpbb_users u, phpbb_posts_text pt WHERE p.topic_id = 386 AND pt.post_id = p.post_id AND u.user_id = p.poster_id ORDER BY p.post_time ASC LIMIT 0, 25

Line : 430
File : viewtopic.php
I keep getting those odd things too all over the place. Thought it was just me as usual!

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Ebikatsu wrote: The Brits are too polite. Americans are much more in the face rude if something upsets them. These gigolo's need a day in the Bronx :lol:
I agree!
It's only because I've lived here so long and been around so many Americans that I now take no prisoners! Before I was a wee shy retiring young thing that wouldn't have said boo to a goose!

I was having a bit of a similar conversation with friends last week, and we came to the conclusion that Egypt makes you very aware of your Personal Space.

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I just took the attitude that someone had politely asked for my help and I had the time to spare. Had he been pushy I'd of not given him the time of day. I do get fed up with those guys who (relatively politely) ask you a question but when you decline to answer or say no, whatever, they then pursue with 'Why?' 'Why are you being rude to me?' accusing you of being the rude one when infact it is them that are invading your space and privacy.[/face]
-Aldous Huxley

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Goddess wrote: Egypt makes you very aware of your Personal Space.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure you've noticed that Americans don't stand close to one another to talk and don't normally kiss on the cheek or hug unless you're close friends or family. It's a personal space thing.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I once saw a half-empty bus (by Egyptian standards) in Chicago where the stnading passengers already on the bus refused to budge and move to the back to let others on. The driver screamed and yelled at them and they just wouldn't move even though there was more than plenty of room for all the people who needed to get on board. It's definitely a personal space thing.

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

My first trip to Egypt (on my own) I was asked by the duty manager at the Hotel Nefertari in Abu Simbel if I would help him edit his English in an essay for a tourism course he was doing part-time. I agreed and he said he would come to my room at 10pm. Getting a tad suspicious, I said I would meet him beside the pool at 8pm (still light). He turned up at my room early (no paper in his hand) and was gently pushing his way in before I knew what was happening, then trying to touch my hair! And all this after a few words of general conversation about my travels in Egypt as he served me at Reception!

I stood outside and YELLED for him to get out and stop abusing my kindness. As the place was full of male journalists following Mubarek (there were only a couple of other females in the whole place) I soon had a posse of helpers who dragged him off amid much abuse! Some stayed and placated me with profound apologies for such Egyptian scum (their words, my thoughts) ... the worst and best of Egyptian male behaviour.

I slept with the flimsy bolt in place and a chair and cupboard against the door, though I wasn't really scared. I didn't see him on my departure next morning. His replacement was most profuse in his apologies and waived my mini-bar and laundry costs. Always wondered, but never cared, what happened to him.

Needless to say, my tour group is staying at Seti I Hotel!
Carpe diem! :le:

FABlux

Post by FABlux »

That sums it up really doesn't it WI, 1 rotten apple (the duty manager) and all the other true gentlemen. :)

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]WI - now that is a situation I wouldn't have tolerated either and I've have wanted more than my mini-bar and laundry bills being weived. :) [/face]
-Aldous Huxley

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

That's my belief, Fran!

Don't worry Hepzi, it was quite considerable :angry: (the laundry bill, that is)! :lol:

I forgot, also my phone bill to hubby (to which we were sure he was listening in, and sometimes disconnecting). :x

Didn't stop me from coming back, though. Image to him and all his type!
Carpe diem! :le: