Have I read this packet right in Arabic?

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.<br>
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

JOJO

Have I read this packet right in Arabic?

Post by JOJO »

I'm hoping I've bought Fava beans from the asian mini market? Not knowing what dried Fava beans looked like I tried to read the packets and if truth be told I recognized the first letters but up to now I have not yet learned the vowels :oops: I'll try and write a scribble of what I've bought...........

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Good news JOJO - it says Fuul!! which is fava - well done you!!

And yup - they are brown dry looking butter beany things.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Wowee Jojo, I'm impressed....but doesn't your main supermarket have a 'foreign' aisle where you could get them from??
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Fava -

Post by Jayway »

Do tell us how you are going to cook your fava? :)

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Goddess wrote:Good news JOJO - it says Fuul!! which is fava - well done you!!

And yup - they are brown dry looking butter beany things.
Yippee :mj:
Last edited by JOJO on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Lisak wrote:Wowee Jojo, I'm impressed....but doesn't your main supermarket have a 'foreign' aisle where you could get them from??
Tescos have a few bits but nothing exciting.
I tell you what I did find at the asian minimart -hugs jars of Kerpusta, I love it!
When I lived in Nottingham and could readily buy Kerpusta I used to give it the kids with their Sunday dinner instead of veg so they are in for a suprise next weekend.

JOJO

Re: Fava -

Post by JOJO »

Jayway wrote:Do tell us how you are going to cook your fava? :)
Well I have them soaking so tonight I will blitz them into a pulp for my Falafel.Picked up a huge bunch of fresh Coriander while I was at it for 29p. :) I've frozen half of it not sure mind whether you can freeze fresh Coriander?

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

Yes you can freeze coriander (make sure it's not wet) I just chop it up and put it in a plastic air tight container and then in the freezer.

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

DJKeefy wrote:Yes you can freeze coriander (make sure it's not wet) I just chop it up and put it in a plastic air tight container and then in the freezer.
Thank you Keefy, I didn't chop it just pulled the leaves off and put them in a tub.

jewel

Post by jewel »

Confession....I buy the ready frozen herbs for when I run out of fresh, and the ready done frozen chillis are great :)
Even birds eye have started to do them
http://www.birdseye.co.uk/features/herbs/
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Ooooo that's good to know, I didn't know you could buy frozen fresh herbs!

Claire

Well done

Post by Claire »

Hi Jojo
Glad you found the right beans. I have good Asian supermarkets near me where I can get all the Egyptian staples I need. But I use the large split white beans when I make tarmeya/ falafel. These are about the size of broad beans and have no brown skin on them tho sometime u get the odd one with the skin still on. Our shops also has smaller fava beans and I use them when I can't get the bigger ones. You knwo you can freeze the tarmeya mix quite well. I do that when I make it cos as you found out a bag of beans makes a lot of tarmeya!

JOJO

Re: Well done

Post by JOJO »

Claire wrote: But I use the large split white beans when I make tarmeya/ falafel. These are about the size of broad beans and have no brown skin on them tho sometime u get the odd one with the skin still on. Our shops also has smaller fava beans and I use them when I can't get the bigger ones. !
I saw the bigger white ones, I will give them a try.

Claire

OK good luck

Post by Claire »

OK good luck. If you are ever Stoke way drop me a line and I'll show you our local supermarket and all it has to offer. Molokheya, bamia, falafel mix (gross) and ful medammas in tins for lazy me! And loads of other goodies! You know you were lucky cos 'ful' means any sort of beans and you could have ended up with a bag of the ful you use for ful medammas! Haha that would have been an interesting brown mix! Did you get all the skins off? Im intrigued!

Morgita

Post by Morgita »

Hi Jojo, I was intrigued by your post mentioning Kerpusta. Having no idea what it was, I set off a-googling. The closest I can see is a sort of Polish/Russian sauerkraut. Have I got it right? My bit of South Wales hasn't really gone cosmopolitan on the food front as yet so I don't get a great deal of chance to try new things. How and when would you serve it? My son's gf is a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables(!) so I'm tearing my hair out as to what to feed her. She's had more mushroom omelettes than can possibly be healthy.

jewel

Post by jewel »

Morgita - a few quick and easy veggie dishes I do,
onion bhajis with homemade coleslaw, sweet potato pancake and casserole, aduki bean casserole/curry, mushrooms and leeks in creamy sauce with spelt pasta,bean & veg chilli/bolognaise,carrot and nut roast, bubble and sqeak,(my favourite) spanish omelette, salad nicoise(minus tuna)
mushroom omelette although itself delicious can become a bit repetitive!
but its not easy when you have a veggie that doesn't like vegs! a bit challenging that :)
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"

Morgita

Post by Morgita »

Thanks for some good ideas Jewel.
Note to Mod, if anyone is listening can we move this to kitchen corner so we can share some recipes. Actually, it's so I can get some recipes. I'm rather fond of this new gf and hope she lasts a while.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Have I read this packet right in Arabic?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Clicked on this topic by mistake - was actually going for another topic but since it opened I read it and although it is a flash from the past it is interesting and brings back some of the old names......and now I'll post what this brings to mind ;)

Do you mostly shop in mainline stores? Stores that carry all the regular food(s) or do you have lots of Asian mini-markets where food is imported in from who knows where?

We have quite a few of these Asian type mini markets and geez you really have to watch expiry dates and check the packages to make sure they look new, neat and clean. I'll admit they sometimes have interesting look food items but I'm always highly suspicious about these stores carrying 'ok' stuff that is what it says it is and that all ingredients have been disclosed.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, I think you will find Asian, Halal, and Eastern European food outlets throughout the UK. I know we have Asian and Polish here in my city. But Mrs G only shops in one of the large supermarkets. Things like herbs and spices, curry mixes etc all come from Sainsburys or occasionally Lidl.
:gg:

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

LLL have you seen the reviews on noodles ? Kokai were banned, full of muck. I would have to be pretty hungry to eat asian supermarket crap, mostly I feel if I or my neighbours cant grow it why would I eat it. Supermarket almond milk has very few almonds in, mine is 600 of water, 3 dessert spoon of almond flour ( that I have made from the almonds I have picked) 6 dates (buy a 5 kilo box around Xmas ) all whizzed up, strained and will keep good for a week in the fridge. I am hoping to try and grow peanuts next year - must research this.