Garlic oil warning

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Garlic oil warning

Post by Ebikatsu »

Never put raw garlic in oil to make a flavoured oil!!

It can produce botulism apparently.

If you want to make flavoured oils yourself you should use cooked garlic, or if you use herbs use dried ones.

I make my own oils but didn't know about the garlic thing so wanted to pass it on.

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Yup!
Definitely one to be careful of.
If you do like to see whole cloves of garlic floating round in your oil bottle, as I do, you have to boil it first.
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

It's a long article but a very good one on garlic and how to preserve it.

Just follow your nose to
the Garlic Lover's Drying Shed

the Guide to Preserving Garlic.
Great Garlic - a Moment on the Tongue, Forever in the Memory!

We are not presently accepting orders but we will soon begin accepting early pre-paid online orders for fall shipping.
Special Considerations for Preserving Garlic - Updated January 11, 2010.

- Making Good Garlic Last as Long as Possible -

The Ever Changing Taste and Flavor of Garlic.

Not all garlic has the same taste or flavor or other eating characteristics. There are wide variations from variety to variety and also the taste and flavor of any given garlic bulb will vary greatly from when it is harvested in summer through the fall and winter or until it is eaten, planted, rots or dries out beyond use. There are several differences in the eating characteristics of garlic, mainly flavor, the garlickiness of a given raw garlic and taste, the pungency or hotness of any raw garlic. There may be better ways to explain it but this is what I have chosen to do. There are also significant differences in the aftertaste that garlics leave behind in the mouth and throat after eating raw. Garlic can be mild or strong in either or both taste and flavor. The flavor ranges from bland to heavy earthy musky garlickiness, but some also have a distinct green onioniness or mustardiness to their flavor. The pungency ranges from bland to extremely hot with some raw garlics being instantly hot while others start off mild and 10 to 45 seconds later become hot to very hot. Each one is different and each year the taste and flavor of any garlic variety will vary with growing conditions and some years they are milder or stronger than usual. There is no such thing as a stable taste in live garlic.

Any given bulb of garlic is as mild as it will ever be at the time it is harvested and cured (dried down enough to trim roots and leaves without getting a garlicky smell) and from the moment of harvest garlic slowly loses moisture and dehydrates, a process that takes 4 to 10 months at room temperature. As it dries down it loses size and weight and increases in pungency as its mass decreases and things inside condense. Neither mild onions nor garlic stay mild, they all lose mildness with age. When you dehydrate garlic it stops changing and remains at whatever pungency and flavor level it was when it was sliced and dried. The best way to stabilize the cooking qualities of garlic is to slice and dry it when it is at its best flavor, according to your own tastes. Needless to say, drying garlic ruins it for raw eating as the satisfying crunch can only come when it is still living and reasonably vigorous. That's where long storing garlics like Porcelains and Silverskins pay dividends since they're still good long after most others have deteriorated. Garlic sliced and dried at warm, not oven hot, temperatures will retain the beneficial compounds that result in health benefits to the comsumer; the idea is to dehydrate it not cook it. Crushed, chopped or powdered garlic that is cooked results in odorous fat-soluble polysulfides that circulate in the lymphatic system and have anti-tumor properties and other health benefits, according to research at Penn State.

Pickled garlic, on the other hand, has entirely different beneficial compounds than dried, cooked garlic and they work differently in the human body. Eating pickled garlic does NOT give the consumer either immediate garlic breath or secondary garlic odor (sweat, lungs, etc.) hours later whereas cooking fresh or dried garlic gives both kinds of odor. The acid in vinegar neutralizes the Alliinase and slowly breaks down the rest of the cloves into odor-LESS water-soluble compounds that circulate via the bloodstream, mostly S-allyl cysteine (SAC), the active ingredient in Kyolic brand of aged garlic extract. Kyolic has shown in many studies that SAC lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar levels and inhibits platelet aggregation as well. While SAC has some anti-tumor properties, the odorous sulfides that circulate in the lymphatic system have greater anti-cancer properties. The wonderful thing is that the longer you leave the garlic in the vinegar, the more SAC is formed - for over 4 years - it just gets better with age - up to about 5 years! There's just as much SAC in the vinegar as there is in the garlic. Growing and pickling your own garlic is a great and inexpensive way to enjoy excellent flavor and get a few health benefits, too.

There is an important variation in refrigerator pickled garlic that you do yourself that is worth discussing. Since heat is not used, the garlic cloves break down slowly into the SAC and for the first couple of years, there is residual allicin in the pickled garlic so you get both the odorous fat-soluble polysulfide compounds as well as the water-soluble SAC and gradually, the pungency decreases as the remaining alliinase is neutralized and eventually the fat-solubles completely disappear , leaving only the water-solubles, which increase each month as the vinegar converts the main bodies of the cloves into SAC and other water-solubles. Fat-solubles are important because they circulate in the lymphatic system and have antitumor properties whereas water-solubles circulate in the bloodstream and have more circulatory system benefits but little or no antitumor properties. This does not happen when garlic is heat treated in the canning process as the heat deactivates the alliinase immediately and from that point onward, that garlic has only the water-soluble compounds and is odor-free when eaten.

Whether frozen garlic has any appreciable health benefits or not is a function of whether it is frozen whole or chopped or crushed first. Garlic that is frozen whole has few, if any, health benefits as the alliinase is neutralized by the cold and while flavorful, the polysulfides do not form. On the other hand, if you crush or finely chop garlic and wait 15 minutes before putting into freezer bags or ice trays, it will have formed the allicin already and the sulfides will form upon thawing and result in the health benefits that studies have shown for garlic. One lady told me she freezes crushed garlic in small cocktail-size ice cube trays and pops out a few of the 1/2 square cubes whenever she wants garlic to cook with.

Irridiated garlic keeps for a long time and retains it's flavor but loses it's pungency - no heat when raw. The reason for this is that the irradiation literally kills the garlic and it is dead. When you slice irradiated garlic cloves vertically, instead of a healthy, living, light green central spike, it is brown and wilted since it is dead. I have not seen any studies using irradiated garlic but I will predict that they will have no sulfide compounds since the alliinase is neutralized by the irradiation and the sulfides cannot form since there is no alliinase to trigger the process and any health benefits from crushing and cooking would be minimal. I would expect,; however, that the SAC would still be there if you pickle irradiated garlic since the pickling process that forms the SAC doesn't require alliinase.

The best garlic for preserving however you want to do it is homegrown garlic or farmers market garlic, preferrably locally grown because it will store at room temp long enough for you to enjoy it in it's natural state for a while, maybe months, before you preserve it. Store-bought garlic usually sprouts within a week or so after you bring it home. There's a reason for that - it was stored in the back room cooler at 32 F and it stores quite well at that temp for about a year but when you bring it up to room temp, or refrigerator temp, it will sprout within days. Garlic that has been stored at or near room temp from harvest will store well for 4 to 10 months at room temp, depending on how healthy and clean the garlic is.
The How-to's of Drying, Pickling, Freezing, Etc.

No matter how you try to store garlic, sooner or later it will dry out or rot away if not used. Some will store only a few months, some will store for nearly a year, but in time all will decay unless some means is employed to preserve them. We have had a lot of people ask about preserving garlic for future use so we decided to discuss it.

First of all, I'm not sure that there is any way to really preserve the total character of fresh garlic, you're always going to lose some of its essence because once you preserve it, it is no longer a living thing and that part of it is lost.

The taste of fresh garlic is caused by allicin that is formed when the garlic is newly crushed. But the allicin will not last long as it dissipates within hours or days and becomes something else with a different taste. That taste is the result of an active chemical process that stops with pickling. The enzyme, alliinase, that drives the process is destroyed by pickling, so pickled garlic contains no allicin. So anytime you preserve garlic, the taste will change - it will be a good taste, just different than fresh garlic.

I really think the best solution is to grow several varieties yourself,including some very early maturing and some very long storing varieties so that you will always have good fresh garlic, year-round. Silverskin garlics are usually still good all through the winter and into the spring when the earliest harvesting turban / Asiatic garlics are ready to pull. Just a thought.

But if you're going to want to try to preserve it, anyway, then you have three pretty safe choices for longer term storage (drying, freezing and pickling - recommended) and one fairly dangerous choice for shorter term storage (in oil - NOT recommended).
Drying Garlic.

Drying garlic is the least expensive and safest way to preserve garlic and retain as much as possible of its fresh character. It's also easy to do. Simply cut the garlic into 1/8" to 1/4" thin slices, and dry them in your dehydrator at 130 F or so and dry them until they are hard and crisp, even on the inside but still light in color. Do not overcook them until they are brown as it will make them bitter. Or if you do not have a dehydrator, you can place them on a screen or rack so that the bottom side gets ventilation also and dry at warm room temperature (100 to 110 F - we have a SW back room that gets warm like that) out of direct sunlight (cover loosely with cheesecloth to keep airborne dust particles and things off the slices if you are worried about that sort of thing).

Drying garlic is the only way to retain the potential to make allicin - neither freezing nor pickling can do that, and allicin is the beginning of everything that garlic means to us as food, flavoring or pharmaceutical. Allicin is formed when the amino acid, Alliin, mixes with the enzyme, Alliinase, which is stored in separate cells in the garlic clove and mix to form sulfenic acid which breaks down into Allicin when these cellular walls are ruptured. For more details on this please see the Chemistry of Garlic Page of our website for a more complete discussion of this.

The idea is to dehydrate it not cook it.

It takes a few days for it to become completely dry, but once it does it will keep for years if you can keep it dry. I store my dried garlic in a Mason jar with one of those silica gel - Not To Be Eaten - packets that come with vitamin pills and camera equipment and lots of other things as they absorb excess moisture and keep the garlic dry. They will store safely several years this way.

The dried slices should to be kept whole until used in order to better preserve the allicin potential. You can grind the dried slices into powder or nuggets at the time you use them and upon re-moisturizing, allicin happens. The whole dried slices will retain almost all of their potency.
Freezing Garlic.

Actually, my own experience is limited. A customer told me she would freeze the bulbs whole (especially the smaller ones) and take one out and use it as needed and that they were great for cooking. I tried it and she was right, although you had to use the whole bulb immediately as it would rapidly deteriorate. I thought about putting some separated cloves in freezer bags to see how well they worked and, sure enough, I got an e-mail from someone else telling me how they kept bags of peeled whole, strips and diced garlic cloves in the freezer for instant use and how happy they were with it.

I would like to hear from more people who use frozen garlic. What kinds of recipes do they work best in and what kind do they not do so well in? How do they do in salsa or pesto or other recipes that normally call for crushed fresh garlic? Do you have any special recommendations for prepping them for freezing or for thawing? I'm looking for ideas from people more experienced than I am at this that I can pass on to others in the website.

My own personal preference is for fresh raw garlic, (There, I've said it and I'm glad. - I'm prejudiced and I admit it, but I'm free at last!) for one thing because of its crispness and texture (similar to water chestnut) as well as the unique taste sensation that is a part of each garlic. To me, these characteristics are lost in preserved garlic, though pickled garlic has a nice crunch and excellent flavor, something is lost in the transistion. Thawed frozen garlic was mushy and discolored but had a surprisingly robust flavor - perhaps that had something to do with the fact that I used a very strong garlic. It retained the flavor well, but there wasn't any hotness because the cloves were frozen whole and the cole denatured the alliinase.

I admit it, I'm spoiled rotten when it comes to garlic. We live a very plain and simple old style country life and love it, but when it comes to garlic, we reside in regal splendor. I like the idea of having lots of fresh bulbs and cloves in the kitchen so you can just grab a handful or two of cloves and peel, crush or slice and throw in the soup or stir fry. Sounds like an exercise in opulence to me. I remember one year at the Garlic is Life Festival in Tulsa watching Tony Lia, Head Chef at The Stinking Rose Restaurant in Hollywood, grab handfuls of sliced and slivered garlic from big mixing bowls full of it and throw scads of garlic into the cubes of filet mignon he was stir-frying in olive oil. It felt great just smelling it and watching but when I ate it I thought it was the best steak I have ever eaten and I live on a cattle ranch and have had some pretty good steaks in my life.

I have copius amounts of fresh garlic of a wide range of tastes and flavors around me year round but I still pickle and occasionally dry some to keep the emergency supply "fresh" - come to think of it, my sister-in-law sswwiped my dried garlic for her bread recipe and I now need to dry some more - just in case we lose our crop to droughhtt or grasshoppers or something. I also keep a jar of vinegar with garlic, slices of cukes, squash and onions in it. Yeah, I know, I'm rotten. I have jars of pickled garlic of various different kinds pickled in different kinds of vinegar and they all have their own special taste that is clearly different than the others.

When it comes to garlic, I live like a king wishes he could.

More information will be posted when I get either more info, and /or the time and inclination to enter it.

Pickling Garlic.

Pickled garlic may not be exactly like fresh garlic but it has a wonderfully refreshing and invigorating flavor of its own. I like any kind but basically use refrigerator pickles more than anything else because they're quick and easy and taste great. I usually add some onion, cucumber, squash slices and a little dill seed in some apple cider vinegar, or any other kind I happen to have on hand. They're fabulous with sandwiches, salads or just as crunchy snacks by themselves. They lose a lot of the heat in pickling and so you can eat more garlic this way. I'm not any kind of expert on canning or preserving but I picked a few recipes to pass on for several different ways of pickling garlic. Pickle the garlic anyway you want to, but pickle it and eat it because it is too delicious of a snack to pass up.
Here's a recipe from Canoe, the Canadian Internet Network:

Pickled Garlic:
12 large heads garlic, about 838 g (1 3/4 lb)
625 mL (21/2 cups) white vinegar
250 mL (1 cup) dry white wine
15 mL (1 tbsp) pickling salt
15 mL (1 tbsp) granulated sugar
15 mL (1 tbsp) dried oregano
5 dried whole chili peppers

Separate garlic bulbs into cloves. To soften and loosen skins, blanch garlic cloves in rapidly boiling water 30 seconds; immediately immerse in cold water, drain and peel cloves.

Place 5 clean 250 or 236 mL Mason jars in a boiling water canner; fill with water, bring to a boil. Boil SNAP lids 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, wine, pickling salt, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil; boil gently 1 minute; remove from heat. Add peeled garlic cloves to hot vinegar mixture. Stir constantly 1 minute.

Pack garlic and 1 dried whole chili pepper into a hot jar to within 2 cm ( 3/4-inch) of top rim. Add hot liquid to cover garlic to within 1 cm (1/2-inch) of top rim (head space). Using rubber spatula, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre SNAP lid on jar; apply screw band just until fingertip tight. Place jar in canner. Repeat for remaining garlic and liquid.

Cover canner; return water to a boil. Process -- boil filled jars -- 10 minutes. Remove jars. Cool undisturbed 24 hours. Check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store in a cool, dark place.
Makes 5 250 or 236 mL jars.

Note: At elevations higher than 305 m (1,000 ft) increase processing time. Add 5 minutes at 306 to 915 m (1,000-3,000 ft); add 10 minutes at 916 to 1830 m (3,001-6,000 ft); add 15 minutes at elevations higher than 1831 m (6,0001 ft).

Warning: This recipe was specially formulated to allow home canners to preserve a low acid food -- garlic -- in a commonly available boiling water canner. Please do not deviate from the recipe ingredients; quantities, jar size and processing method and time. Any change could affect the safety of the end product.

Easy to Make Refrigerator Garlic Pickles

Ingredients: Whole, peeled garlic cloves Red wine vinegar
Salt (about 1 Tbs. per cup of vinegar)
Place the cloves of garlic in a jar with an air-tight lid. Add enough vinegar to cover, and add salt. Place lid on jar and shake to dissolve salt. Store in the refrigerator for two weeks before using to "cure". These should keep almost indefinitely, covered and refrigerated.

Kim Gunderson's (G&H Garlic Farm in Littleton, NH) Soy Refrigerator Pickled Garlic - Added October 14, 2005

Ingredients: Whole, peeled garlic cloves
5% Vinegar of your choice
Kikkoman's light soy sauce with reduced salt
Place the cloves of garlic in a jar with a lid and add enough vinegar to cover. Place lid on jar and store in the refrigerator for two weeks to "cure". Drain vinegar off and use seperately as garlic flavored vinegar. Place cloves into jar and add soy sauce to cover. Wait a week or more before eating. These should keep almost indefinitely, covered and refrigerated.
Another Recipe for Refrigerated Pickled Garlic

Great midnight snacks for true garlic lovers!
2 whole heads garlic, divided into peeled cloves
2/3 cup distilled white vinegar or white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon commercial mixed pickling spice
3 sprigs fresh thyme, 3 inches long
one 1/2 pint sterilized jar with lid

Peel garlic, Cut any pieces that are thicker than 3/4 inch in half length-wise. In a small saucepan, boil vinegar, sugar, salt and pickling spice, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add garlic cloves and return to a boil; cook stirring for 1 minute. Put thyme sprigs in jar then pour in garlic, liquid, and spices, filling to within 1/4 inch of top, making sure garlic is covered. Cover tightly. Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours to blend flavors, then refrigerate for up to 2 months.
Makes one 8 ounce jar.
By: Renee Shepherd and Fran Raboff
Shepherd's Garden Seeds

The North Carolina State University website says: Vinegar is an acid food but could become a low acid food if too much plant material is added to it (herbs and garlic). As long as only a sprig or two are added and they become fully acidified throughout and don't change the pH of the original vinegar then the contents remain an acid food. The problem is that what is a sprig to me may be a branch to someone else. The material must be fully submerged and you should have a way of determining if the pH of the plant material is below 4.6. These conditions and controls have been determined for the commercial manufacture of flavored vinegar but do not exist for the home.

Garlic contains sulfur compounds which can react with copper to form copper sulfate, a blue or blue-green compound. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies.
Garlic Can Turn Blue
Raw garlic contains an enzyme that if not inactivated by heating reacts with sulfur (in the garlic) and copper (from water or utensils) to form blue copper sulfate. The garlic is still safe to eat. Garlic can turn Green
If the garlic was not fully mature or dry, pigments in the garlic may turn green when in the presence of acid. Garlic will also turn green (develop chlorophyll) if exposed to an temperature change or is exposed to sunlight. Some people say it can be stored for 32 days at or above 70 - 80° F to prevent greening, but I'm not yet sure that is true. Green garlic is safe to eat.

Storing Garlic in Oil - Warning! - Not Safe.

It's important to keep food safety in mind when storing garlic in oil. Low-acid foods like garlic can be a source of Clostridium botulinum bacteria which are found in soil, water, and air. Oil's oxygen-free environment is perfect for growth of this anaerobic bacteria. Garlic in oil, therefore, must be stored correctly to prevent botulism food poisoning.

Commercial garlic-in-oil mixtures are acidified to prevent bacterial growth. These products can be stored safely at room temperature. Unfortunately, acidification of garlic in homemade oil mixtures can't be recommended because no research exists to support proper procedures. Different people recommend different methods and time to acidify and it is hard to know who is right. Instead, it's best to store these hazardous oils in the refrigerator, but for a limited time only. This conflicts with the desire for long term storage.

When raw garlic is stored in oil, Clostridium botulinum bacteria can grow. These mixtures must be refrigerated to slow bacterial growth. After 3 weeks of refrigeration, the increased number of bacteria will become a food safety hazard. Therefore, these mixtures should not be refrigerated longer than 3 weeks.

When garlic is immediately removed after flavoring oil, the bacteria will not have a "food source" for growth. The flavored oil can be stored safely at room temperature.

When vegetables or herbs are dried, water will not be available for bacterial growth. Therefore, DRIED vegetables or dried herbs (including garlic) in oil can be stored safely at room temperature. Note. Tomatoes are high in acid. Therefore, plain dried tomatoes in oil can be safely stored at room temperature.

Storage Recommendations: (According to Oregon State University Extension Service).

Raw or cooked garlic and/or herbs in oil:
These mixtures MUST be refrigerated. Do not store them longer than 3 weeks in the refrigerator. (Note. Raw garlic MAY be safely stored in vinegar at room temperature.)

Dried garlic and/or herbs in oil: If oil is seasoned with dried garlic and/or dried herbs, the mixture may be safely stored at room temperature. (Refrigeration may delay rancidity, however.)

The FDA MEMO on Garlic in Oil Preparations

News
04/17/1989
Garlic in Oil Mixes
P89-20
Food and Drug Administration
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Chris W. Lecos (202) 245-1144

Because of a risk of botulism, the Food and Drug Administration today told companies to stop making any garlic-in-oil mixes which require refrigeration for safety. The agency also urged consumers to discard these and similar homemade products.

To be safe, FDA said, garlic-in-oil products should contain additional ingredients -- specific levels of microbial inhibitors or acidifying agents such as phosphoric or citric acid. Most garlic products do contain these additives, as disclosed on their labels.

But some food boutique or specialty mixes do not include the additives and need to be refrigerated from production through use. Manufacturers, repackers, food distributors and retailers who may handle these products are being notified by FDA that these products should be withdrawn.

FDA Commissioner Frank E. Young, M.D., Ph.D., said, "FDA's concern is that many consumers and retailers may consider such products to be non-perishable develop botulism too, Dr. Young warned, advising that these home products "should be made fresh for each use and not left around at room temperatures."

When two men and a woman from Kingston, N.Y., were hospitalized with botulism food poisoning after eating a commercial mix that had not been kept refrigerated, FDA at first issued a warning to consumers March 6 that improperly formulated products left at room temperature may develop deadly botulism toxin. But the agency reviewed these products' safety further and decided to eliminate the susceptible mixes. FDA said studies showed:
-- Unrefrigerated garlic-in-oil mixes lacking antimicrobial agents can permit the growth of Clostridium botulinum bacteria with subsequent toxin production without affecting the taste and smell of the products.
-- Toxin production can occur even when a small number of Clostridium botulinum spores are present in the garlic. When the spore-containing garlic is bottled and covered with oil, an oxygen-free environment is created that promotes the germination of spores and the growth of microorganisms at temperatures as low as 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Botulism is a potentially fatal food poisoning characterized by blurred or double vision, speech and breathing difficulty and progressive paralysis. Without prompt and correct treatment, one-third of those diagnosed may die. Clostridium botulinum bacteria are widespread in the environment, but their spores cause no harm when there is oxygen in the environment.
Click Here for more information on Botulism.

There you have your basic ABC's of preserving garlic but we will be adding more information as it comes in.
New - February 7, 2009 - We may or may not have some Virus-Free Gourmet Garlics in 2009.

Big News - There may be three cultivars of very rare Virus-Free garlic available this fall.

In 2008 we were very lucky to be able to get three cultivars of Virus-Free (V-F) gourmet garlic , some Duganski, a Marbled Purple Stripe and some California Late, an Artichoke but the Sofia, a Rocambole from Bulgaria got flooded out and will not be available until maybe 2009. Not even virus-free garlic is exempt from the ravages of nature and while much of the garlic crops in the NW part of the country were greatly stunted by cool, damp and cloudy spring that never did warm up until well into summer, two of the three V-F varieties did quite well and were of good size in a world of smaller garlics.

The problems with the 2008 V-F garlic crop -
In addition to the weather-related problems that plagued last year's V-F garlics there were some misshapen bulbs and other problems caused by machine planting and machine harvesting and conveyor belts dumping loads of garlic on top of loads of garlic resulting in massive bruising. This is not the way conscientious growers handle the gourmet garlics they are proud of. The garlic was grown by a grower who uses techniques developed for handling mass amounts of garlic for the mass market, like supermarkets and commercial kitchens where the handling standards are not as strict as gourmet growers impose upon themselves and the garlic clearly shows the difference. There were also some unidentified brown spots and other artifacts of a cold wet spring/early summer.

I will order a few pounds for evaluation this year (2009) and if there were better growing conditions this year and if the handling is a lot gentler and has a lot less dings, bruises and bad spots I will consider ordering more; if not, I will pass until the V-F garlic improves.

These V-F gourmet garlics could be good news for growers all over the country and especially the warm winter growers have something to cheer about as the Artichokes and Marbled Purple Stripes both do well in warm winter areas. A Marbled Purple Stripe called Metechi is always the biggest and best in our garden year after year.

Why does virus-free have any special appeal and how do they do it? At this point I'm not entirely clear as to all the features and benefits of virus-free garlic but I can tell you how they are developed and that ridding a cultivar of virii causes the garlic to grow larger and heavier than the same cultivars the contain virii. I'm not sure what effects being virus-free has on the health benefits of garlic but researchers have shown in the past that denser, heavier varieties, Porcelains, in particular had greater capability to produce Allicin, from which the most healthy fat-soluble compounds are derived.

All natural garlics contain some viruses; it's what happens out in the wild, life happens. These viruses have no known harmful effects on humans but apparently only affect the garlics and most of their effects are unknown although a few are; for example, the yellow streak virus carried by wheat curl mites cause a garlics leaves to show some yellow streaks but their effects on the clove is minimal if anything. If a garlic bulb has a viral contamination, and they all do, almost every part of the plant is affected. All, in fact but the tiniest growing tip where the virus has not yet gotten a grip on the plant. This tiny growing tip, called a meristem, is snipped out under a microscope and tediously grown out from that tip and that virus-free tip will eventually grow into a full size plant and develop a bulb with multiple cloves and the cloves will also be virus-free and can be replanted to produce virus-free offspring. It takes several years of replanting all or most of the cloves for a single virus-free bulb to reproduce into a marketable number of bulbs to base a virus-free seed garlic business on. They are still a few years from widespread distribution.

Removing the viruses causes the bulbs to get bigger and denser. This is only the second effort I know of ever to produce virus-free garlic. The earlier one was done in California in the 1980s but the grower discontinued his program because it produced such large garlics , over 3" in diameter, that he had a hard time selling such large garlics and he quit doing it. I understand he is retired now and no longer involved. Our virus-free garlics were produced by a different retired plant pathologist and grown in Oregon and we're ready to try again so we can see for ourselves what the results are and are inviting our customers to try them also and see how they do for them.

To my knowledge, we are the only place in the country at this time offering virus-free garlics for sale on the internet although there may be others I don't know about. They were not grown organically and normally we would not handle such garlic but since there is no source of organically grown virus-free garlics, these can be introduced into an organic operation and their offspring, if grown by a certified organic grower would become certified organic next year. They're a little pricy but so is everything that is truly rare.

Are virus-free garlics acceptable in an organic program? I don't know as I have never seen any prohibition against it. It is not a genetically modified organism, it is only a modern extension of the ancient art of rooting plants to produce offspring. Do virus-free garlics have the same health benefits? I don't know but I would think so since the chemical reactions would seem to be unchanged by the presence or absence of the viruses. Are these particular viruses any kind of enemy? I doubt it. Does eliminating the viruses have any kind of advantage? Only in that the garlic grows larger and denser with the same effort and most growers find that to be a desireable trait.

What is the future of these V-F garlics? How long will they stay virus-free? I don't know. Nobody knows how many years it took garlic to pick up all its virii. Nobody knows how long it would take to re-acquire some more of them via insects, etc. or how often new virus-free planting stock would have to be purchased in order to assure an essentially virus-free crop. We're stepping out on unexplored turf here. Whacking out new trails, so to speak. We'll learn as we go.

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/pickle.htm
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

I didn't read all that yet . . . but I have lots of raw garlic i put in oil stored in the refrigerator . . . hmmmm, maybe I should just throw it away???
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I didn't know that either Ebi. Glad to say I have got away with doing it so far but won't be doing it again, thanks for the warning. :)

I normally do it with chillis so hope those are OK :?
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Did you know that warm garlic oil is extremely good for ear infections :)
jewel

Post by jewel »

I get the chopped frozen garlic from asda - great! Like the onions just use what you want and back in freezer, really helpful and saves effort/time in cooking :)
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Hurghadapat wrote:Did you know that warm garlic oil is extremely good for ear infections :)
only thing is you'll stink like a pizza :lol:

Talking of pizza we decided to have a cookery lesson yesterday with the girls. It was all flour and garlic and tomato sauce 8)
Made lovely huge pizzas and garlic bread and scoffed the lot :mrgreen:

Next lesson I'm teaching everyone how to make koshari and another girl is teaching us how to make the Cinnabon Cinnamon rolls.
:P
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

FABlux wrote:I didn't know that either Ebi. Glad to say I have got away with doing it so far but won't be doing it again, thanks for the warning. :)

I think if they're fresh it might be a bit risky?

Use dried ones instead just to be safe.
Melissa87

Post by Melissa87 »

Ebikatsu wrote:
Hurghadapat wrote:Did you know that warm garlic oil is extremely good for ear infections :)

Talking of pizza we decided to have a cookery lesson yesterday with the girls. It was all flour and garlic and tomato sauce 8)

Next lesson I'm teaching everyone how to make koshari and another girl is teaching us how to make the Cinnabon Cinnamon rolls.
omg...cinnabon cinnamon rolls are probably the best dessert every invented :) yummmmmm hope it goes well
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Ebikatsu wrote:
FABlux wrote:I didn't know that either Ebi. Glad to say I have got away with doing it so far but won't be doing it again, thanks for the warning. :)

I think if they're fresh it might be a bit risky?

Use dried ones instead just to be safe.
They were tiny ones which I had grown & dried, boy were they fiery :roll: That's why they ended up in the oil. :)
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

Melissa87 wrote:
Ebikatsu wrote:

omg...cinnabon cinnamon rolls are probably the best dessert every invented :) yummmmmm hope it goes well

All you need to make these is lots of butter, cinnamon and sugar . . . well slathered on and around some bits of dough :) . . . and I agree these are yummy . . .. I had to scurry past the Cinnabon shop when I went to the mall the other day . . . trying to practice restraint in my food choices :oops:
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Howz about sharing your recipe Catherine :)
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

Ebikatsu wrote:Howz about sharing your recipe Catherine :)

which recipe? one for Cinnabon's?? I don't have one but I bet I can find something similar :)
CATHERINE

Melissa87

Post by Melissa87 »

cbrbddd wrote:
Ebikatsu wrote:Howz about sharing your recipe Catherine :)

which recipe? one for Cinnabon's?? I don't have one but I bet I can find something similar :)
Oh if you do pls post it :D would love to try it out
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Ditto :P

and the hot fudge sauce that they do too!
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

This website claims to have one for cinnabon that is "darn" close, lol!!! And they have lots of other recipes to try too . . . http://www.copykat.com/
CATHERINE

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

CATHERINE

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

Here's one that doesn't use a bread machine like the one above: http://www.recipezaar.com/Cinnabons-Cin ... lone-18596
CATHERINE

Melissa87

Post by Melissa87 »

Catherine thanks so much for the recipes! I'm gona attempt the one from the last link that you posted i think :) yummmmm