Winter warmers!

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Winter warmers!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Although the weather here is still warm enough to do without the heating for most of the day, my thoughts are turning to winter foods. Stews, hotpots, curries etc., but also looking for new ideas for winter desserts. One new (to me) one I intend to try as soon as possible is salted caramel cheesecake. I make a very good black cherry cheesecake usually but have recently tried a shop bought cake with salted caramel on the top, and I immediately thought the caramel would taste wonderful on a cheesecake, but at least 1/2" thick! :D Another one I intend to make is ginger and syrup steamed pudding, but I think the weather needs to cool down before I make that one. Has anyone got any ideas or recipes for old and new favorites?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Winter warmers!

Post by Horus »

You must have read my mind RS, of late I have been preferring hot wholesome stuff, so today I went shopping and got stuff in for curries etc. Tonight I made a dish I have not made for some time and it was very tasty, not sure if it has a proper name, but the wife used to call it Maltese Macaroni although it actually uses pasta shell instead. :eat
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Ingredients and method, please, Horus! :D Sounds interesting.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I would love to have some cheesecake or Macaroni Cheese or even a nice slice of Dunlop, but the older I get the more severe the reaction so cheese along with everything else that comes from a cow can make me very sick - except strangely double cream - I love it, but don't get it very often.

Still there are plenty of other things I can enjoy - like the sweet and sour chicken lurking in my freezer.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Macaroni (Pasta) & Cheese Recipe

You will need:
250 grams (approx) of small pasta shells
500 grams (approx) of lean minced beef
(1) Large or (2) Small Onions (not red)
(1) 400 gram tin of chopped Tomatoes
Tomato Purée (tube or those small cans)
Garlic Granules
2 Large Eggs
½ Pint of Milk.
4 oz of mature Cheddar cheese.

Method:
(I like to use my largest pan for this part).
Add Pasta Shells to slightly salted water and cook for about 10 minutes until soft.
Drain pasta and allow to cool, return to pan and add (2) Table Spoons of cooking oil, give the pasta and oil a good mix to lightly coat the pasta shells.

(I have a paella pan that I use for this part, but any large pan or frying pan will do)
Peel and dice the onion and add to the pan, use a little oil to assist and cook until soft.

Add the minced beef and keep turning it into the onion until it releases the juices and turns brown throughout with no pink meat showing.

Add the complete tin of chopped tomatoes and a good dollop of tomato purée to suit your own taste, but (2) heaped table spoons is my preference, stir thoroughly and allow to simmer. During this add the Garlic granules to suit your taste (a couple of teaspoons is usually about right) Keep stirring and adding a little salt or extra garlic as you cook and taste, continue until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is quite thick.

Once you have reached the desired cooking level, ladle or spoon the mince mixture into the same large pan as the pasta shells and stir thoroughly, do not mash the pasta, but turn it all together until evenly distributed.

Find yourself a large casserole or Pyrex dish big enough to hold the mixture.

Add the (2) eggs to the milk and whisk.

Pour the egg/milk mixture into the dish, it should ideally just cover the mixture.

Grate the cheese over the finished dish.

Cooking:
Cover the dish and cook at around Gas mark 6 for about 40 minutes then uncover for another 20 minutes until baked, when fully baked it should have developed a slight crust.

Ideally when served it should spoon out as a firmish looking meal with some traces of oiliness when on the plate. If it is to your taste then this is a delicious meal, easy to prepare in advance and should serve 4 people. You may half the quantities for two people or you may freeze the (unbaked) meal once it has been prepared, but leave out the cheese, then thaw thoroughly prior to commencing the baking part after giving it a good stir and adding the grated cheese.
All quantities are a bit loose and the recipe adapts very easily, more garlic/less garlic, more tomato/less tomato, more mince/less mince etc. just ensure that the liquid is absorbed. Try and get the smaller pasta shells than in my image as they hold the filling better.

Note this has been reheated so looks drier than the fresh cooked meal
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Now that the weather has turned cold and people are sneezing all around me I've been thinking about making some hot winter meals.

Yesterday I chopped up a whole small green cabbage head. Just regular green cabbage (not savoy) and threw it into the slow cooker.

Added 1 whole green pepper, 1 big onion, a heaping spoonful of minced garlic. About two thirds of a pound of lean ground beef mixed with a big tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce plus 1/2tsp or so turmeric, paprika, black pepper and beef buillion. To all of this in the slow cooker I then put in 2 15 ounce tins of tomato sauce and 1 15 ounce tin of stewed tomatoes.

I cooked this for 3 hours (stirred it a couple times) then I added 1 cup of rice and cooked everything for another hour. Stirred it all together.

Tastes just like cabbage rolls :) (cept it is easier to make and you don't have to muck about steaming cabbage leaves off a head of cabbage and then rolling meat & rice filling into them.

Lovely on a wet rainy day
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks for that, Horus. Many years ago, my mother used to make minced meat and macaroni and yours sounds like a variation of that, although yours is probably more delicious. Back then, we didn't really have access to garlic and spices so I will give your one a go. (All the things I want to try! Can someone arrange for me to have 48 hours in a day, please? :lol: )
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes give it a try RS I think you will find it very tasty. :up

@LLL, can you elaborate on what you mean by a 15 oz tin of Tomato Sauce? Is it the same as we would call ‘Passata’ which is essentially liquidised tomatoes that have been sieved to remove seeds and any skin and flesh? And are your ‘stewed’ tomatoes the same as our tinned tomatoes which are basically ‘plum tomatoes’ that have been cooked with the skin removed and are available either whole or chopped?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Tomato sauce is liquid tomatoes where seeds and skin are removed but the flesh is mashed and is then boiled down to a really thick consistency. It pours but is very thick. No extra spices.

Stewed tomatoes are chopped up tomato chunks - lots of chunky pieces with onion/green pepper/celery/leeks etc thrown in.

Tomato paste here is as it sounds a solid paste of tomato that you have to scoop out of the jar cause they've been boiled down a really thick heavy consistency.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Tomato sauce is liquid tomatoes where seeds and skin are removed but the flesh is mashed and is then boiled down to a really thick consistency. It pours but is very thick. No extra spices.
That is the same as our Passata, although we can also buy it with added herbs and spices :up

Stewed tomatoes are chopped up tomato chunks - lots of chunky pieces with onion/green pepper/celery/leeks etc thrown in.
I will stand corrected on this, but I do not think we have anything like that in the UK, just plain tinned whole or chopped Tomatoes.

Tomato paste here is as it sounds a solid paste of tomato that you have to scoop out of the jar cause they've been boiled down a really thick heavy consistency.
Same here and we can buy it in cans, jars or squeezy tubes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here we have tomato paste (small tin & 15 ounce size)

Crushed tomatoes - just crushed tomatoes (no spices) in anywhere from small to HUGE tins

Stewed tomatoes - crushed but with lots of spices cooked into them

Tomato sauce - just puree'd tomatoes - again small tins to huge tins.

Whole tomatoes - tins, usually fairly large - like 32 or 48 ounces of just plain canned tomatoes (usually Roma types but not always)

Tomato juice - all sizes of thin tomato juice for drinking
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

With a chilly start to the day here, the winter warmers have started! On the menu today is bacon and onion pudding with mashed potatoes and spring greens. :eat While I was preparing the greens, a funny thought popped into my head! My mother told me that when she was at primary school they had the option of a glass of Parrishes Food every day for 3d a week, but if the parents couldn't afford that, for 1d per week, they were allowed a daily glass of the greens water! Mmm!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have to admit that I have never heard of Parrishes Food, but I Googled it and it said it was a vitamin supplement for Pigeons! :lol: :lol:
I assume that the ‘greens’ water was the actual water the stuff was boiled in? I can quite understand how it would be healthy as most of the good stuff in greens gets boiled out in the water so it must be quite beneficial to drink it, not sure that I would fancy a glass of it though. :sk

Please elaborate on your bacon and onion pudding, as in a recipe. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Literally, just suet pastry rolled out, then cover with bacon rashers and onions, sprinkle a stock cube over the top, then roll up like a Swiss roll. Wrap in foil or a cloth and either cook in a pan of simmering water or steam. Takes about 3 hours.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks RS, sounds tasty I will give that a go one day :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It will put hairs on your chest, Horus! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:It will put hairs on your chest, Horus! :lol:
I hope you are not speaking from experience RS :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When I was reading this I thought of Spotted **** - for some reason at my boarding school it was served with a small spoonful of brown sugar and a knob of butter - weird. :?

I remember Parrish's Food, and Cod Liver Oil and Malt, my favourite - Yum! I managed to find some in Luxor, believe it or not over 20 years ago and my step children had a spoonful every day until they were about 10 years old when it became unavailable.

PS I remember adverts for Wincarnis, was that actually alcoholic I wonder. Never tried it as my family were TT and I don't mean Time Travellers! :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have never heard of Parrishes Food.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We used to get the Cod Liver Oil and that lovely Malt :eat and remeber the small bottles of Orange juice concentrate.
I had to laugh at the way the forum changed 'Spotted D.ick' to asterisks, it reminded me of Mrs H and made me smile. When she worked in the catering industry she would never say that word as she thought it sounded crude although she was no shrinking Violet. The poor guys had to politely ask for 'Spotted Richard' or they didn't get served :lol: :lol: