Coffee

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Coffee

Post by Grandad »

It is a spice LLL and most spices are expensive, but so are most things that are either in short supply or costly to produce. Saffron is a case in point.....

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Had a typo - I might NOT want to develop a taste for cardamom. (I typed now - although I'm not sure I typed NOW I swear sometimes spell checker comes into play and I type things I don't mean!)

I did know that saffron was an expensive spice and can't say I've ever seen it in any of the stores here. Just like I haven't seen cardamom. And given the price of cardamom I now know why ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

At last I have found REAL COFFEE.

Can't be bothered with cafetieres, too much bother cleaning them every time just for a coffee. We threw out a large one that we had, just a couple of weeks ago.

I had intended, while on a visit to Bluewater yesterday, to check out the coffee machines at John Lewis. I had done a little bit of pre-research and ended up buying a Magimix Nespresso Citiz. We don't like Latte or Cappuccino so I just got the Espresso/Americano version which is small and slimline. There is a very wide range of coffee pods available and we are already enjoying the best coffee we have had for a very long time.

So now in our house you can 'Smell the Coffee' :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

How expensive are the pods Grandad?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Have not got around to checking yet H. It came with a pack of 16 pods of various strengths and flavours to try out. I believe the Nespresso pods are about 35 pence which sounds quite a lot but I can live with that for decent coffee, and in a coffee shop you pay around £2. We normally just have a coffee mid morning.

There are other brands at about 20 pence that I will check out but so far they would need to be good to match Nespresso.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - are you talking about the machines that you put in a little pod and they make just 1 cup of coffee?

I see them here in doctors and dentist offices. They typically come with a carousel that holds all the pods in different flavours. They even make tea.

Here we call them Keurigs which is really a brand name.

I've only ever used one at my dentist office but they do make good tea and presumable coffee too. They seem minimal mess and do turn out a really good cuppa however HERE they're really expensive for the little pods so while when introduced here were popular they quickly were found to be really expensive to operate cause of the price of the little pods. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw in the grocery store plastic reuseable pods so you could essentially buy the coffee and fill and refill your own pods which would help with the price.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That is why I asked, often these things are like printers, they sell cheap and cost the earth for the refills. I suppose if you only have the occasional drink each day and if you get the quality that you like, then no problem, but it could be expensive if you were a regular coffee drinker.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Kuerig machines here are not that expensive but OMG the pods cost a mint. For me who does drink a couple of cups in the morning it is far cheaper for me to make a pot.

I think they're great for office scenarios were people are waiting and the doctor/dentist is hosting a cuppa while you wait. You can use disposable paper cups and the empty pod thing is thrown into the garbage so there really is no clean up associated with them and you do get a steaming cup of tea or coffee in whatever flavor you want. OR if you are just drinking a cup a day they'd be great and you could probably enjoy a variety of flavours as I do believe these come in variety packs.

Good to know though that Grandad and Mrs G are now enjoying good coffee! :) :) :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I like the taste of the coffee pod coffee but the machines don't last very long. You pay approx £100 odd for a machine and you are very lucky if it lasts you a year. I've had two Dolce Gusto machines and they both ended up in the bin. If I buy another one, it will be a big expensive Gaggia like they use on the continent! :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The Nespresso ones seem to be getting lots of promotion especially by George Clooney, maybe he's on commission, must admit the coffee looks good though. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote:I like the taste of the coffee pod coffee but the machines don't last very long. You pay approx £100 odd for a machine and you are very lucky if it lasts you a year. I've had two Dolce Gusto machines and they both ended up in the bin. :(
Oh, I hope not RS. :( I bought a Magimix 190 Citiz. No milk frother, don't like that sort of coffee and this has a small footprint so takes up little space. It is made by Krups and at £135 I hope it will last more than a year (It comes with 3 year warrantee)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If its made by Krups Grandad you may have been better off buying a 'Tiger' tank, they were quite well made ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My coffee maker here is a Krups and they're known to be quite good machines but I'm talking a regular coffee maker. I would definitely expect a coffee machine to last lots longer.

@RS do you have water that is heavily mineralized? As in lots of scale building up on the inside of the workings of the coffee pot? I would think that might cause them to break down fast.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:If its made by Krups Grandad you may have been better off buying a 'Tiger' tank, they were quite well made ;)
At least this one has a 1 litre TANK ;) :lol:

LLL, you could have a point. Here in the south east our water is hard and the instruction manual is specific about regular descaling. Sounds like a bit of a ritual, this coffee making. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

All GOOD THINGS come to those who wait and the SHIP finally docked or the TRUCK finally arrived - BUT - today for the enormous price of TWO dollars and 49 pennies I got a package of about 20 -25 pods of CARDAMON!

I couldn't believe when I was standing in the spice section that there in a package before my eyes was CARDAMON.

Truly the truck with them probably finally arrived on the Island. Things are like that here - one shipment a year and if you miss it you're outta luck 'til the following year.

This was a new shipment cause it is the first time in a long time that I've seen the spice section this full. Loaded up and brought home the Cardamon. Will give it a try in due course and report back :up :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Grandad wrote: I bought a Magimix 190 Citiz. No milk frother, don't like that sort of coffee and this has a small footprint so takes up little space. It is made by Krups and at £135 I hope it will last more than a year (It comes with 3 year warrantee)
Still enjoying the taste of decent coffee each morning. We have now narrowed the 23 Nespresso strength/decafe/flavours down to 3 preferred grades. But we still have a small stock of other grades for anyone to try. Not tried adding any cardamom yet :up