Early morning blues!

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Early morning blues!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Morning campers! :D I'm not sleeping very well at the moment, so at a bit of a loose end until DH gets out of bed. What can you do that isn't noisy? Well, I stacked the dishwasher with last night's dinner things and got that done; I finished off another book that I downloaded yesterday and then I looked at YouTube! :lol: What did I find? An old episode of Keith Floyd's in which he was travelling and cooking around the Med. The episode was Floyd in Egypt. He really didn't like Egypt - and it showed! Apart from meeting Zawi Hawass and seeing a mummy, there wasn't much good that he found to comment on, even the food. He went on a cruise and found fault with his room, the food and the wine. He then cooked a dish which looked suspiciously like his version of Omm Ali, but constantly looked as though he really didn't want to be there. Although it was 15 years old, the half hour clip astonished me. We can all find fault with Egypt - and frequently do - but comparing his attitude with Dave Myers from a couple of months ago on 'Cooks Abroad' I think he missed out on a lot. There's a lot about Egypt to criticise but I think if you can't find at least a couple of food items to wax lyrical about, you must be extremely hard to please! :td And to think he got paid for the pleasure!

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: Early morning blues!

Post by Jayway »

I loved Floyd, its running on one channel now. Never understood why he chose to cook outside in the wind and rain, expect all the drink kept him warm? He was always grumpy, gave the camera guy orders, made me laugh. Now he is dead I have just noticed a lady chef, quite crazy, who travels around, helps out where ever she goes then makes a feast .. only seen it a couple of times at 7 in the morning so was a bit dim and didnt see the title - - -
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Australian Masterchef was my favourite until recently, so well organised and well funded with excellent facilities and a lot of competitors under one roof.

I loved to watch the competitors develop and improve, great teamwork all round. There are usually three judges and great prizes.

But now we have another Aussie cooking fest - My Kitchen Rules. This is completely different as the competitors enter with a partner. They are all kinds of ages, married, friends or family and it's very much of a competition.

It's not a sudden death game as those who have been eliminated are brought back together several times for another chance. That's fair I think as we all have an off day from time to time.

As the competitors mark each other as well as there being two chef judges, there is often an element of "gameplay". Which is not surprising as the winner gets Aus$ 250,000

I particularly like to see the current Smiling Assassin get their come uppance.. :D
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On reading this thread I really don't think I've ever really watched any of the cooking shows. Maybe an odd show that happened to come on the TV and I was too lazy to change the channel but I've never watched anything regularly. If I can't EAT it at the end I don't think I'm motivated to watch ;)

On another note - what to do when you can't sleep does relate to me. Pretty hard to kill time during the wee hours. I wouldn't be waking anybody up but I do feel the need to keep quiet once it gets dark. Maybe just early conditioning that has hung on.

When I can't sleep I do persevere for a while but when I can't stand not sleeping any longer I do get up, make a cup of tea, turn the TV on silent (WHY I do that I'm not sure) and then head for my laptop where I typically read. Reading will put me back to sleep faster than anything else but the combo of hot tea heavily milked and reading and I'm back to ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz world pretty quick.

Lately my one hip has been bothering me and after about 6 hours I just can't get comfortable no matter which way I flip flop about the bed so am usually awake and trying to get comfortable by 4am. Usually the only relief I get is to get up and walk about for a bit and once awake even that early in the morning I'm good to go. This morning at 5am I made a huge batch of chili that, once cooked, I'll eat 'til the cows come home.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Join the crew LLL :D

The hours I've hobbled up and down, gradually freeing up the joints are many. The problem is, unless I'm ill I very rarely sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time at night. I usually give up about 4 ish. Then I'm bright and cheerful for about 6 hours and I start to flag, recover and flag every couple of hours until bed time when as soon as my head hits the pillow.........I'm wide awake. :(

I watch tv on my Kindle without earphones since I fell asleep and got the cord wrapped around my neck :oops:

I do puzzles and play games mostly. Sometimes a cup of tea is nice, but it's a long walk from my bed to the bathroom. :sd
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

I sleep 6 hours a night, no more, in winter sleep at 2am, wake at 8am, summer is different as I like to ride very early before the heat. I dont move, I could sleep on a plank and not fall off ! MD, computer games ? or FB games ? I have just sorted out 20 jigsaws to go as I have no space in this little house to do them. :(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Since I was about 14 years old I wake normally at about 4.00am. I used to be able to go back to sleep when I was at school, if I had an alarm in the room I would always wake 15 mins before the set time.

Of course human nature being what it is, a couple of times a year it would go pearshaped. When farming I got by on 4/5 hours a day for weeks/months. Then 24yrs early mornings with the balloons up @ 4.00am.

I suppose my body can't keep up with it now - no routine that's the problem. I used stress to keep me going. 8)

My favourite game at the moment is Secret Society - Hidden Mystery. It has some fairly normal searching pictures, plus puzzles, tasks, awards and interactions with other users. You can only download one game on each device - so I have one on my Kindle and one on my laptop. It's very crafty, the time for play is limited, as you get to higher levels you get more time as well as difficulty. Very absorbing and difficult to cheat.

I have a puzzle app on the Kindle which gives loads of lovely pictures, but I use a game which has offers a new puzzle every day without any kind of hint about the subject. Today was wild horses, yesterday an exotic beach, the day before colourful beetles. I like the surprise as the picture completes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Stress definitely seems to keep me going! My job was high stress and constant 'on the go' and I'm not totally sure I haven't become addicted to adrenaline.

I'm a dud at playing games. I do play Mahjong type games as matching 2 things is about as complex as it can get for me but I do enjoy word games (making words out of jumbles of letters etc) but on any of the games that require skill, speed and analytical thinking I never get beyond the first one or two levels and don't even bother to try. Could be cause I've got a touch pad so can never get that accurate or that fast.

I'm not sure that playing games actually really relaxes me either.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Well, I'm here again and the clock is telling me it's 2.39am! I gave up and got up, so no sleep until 10pm tonight! :( Trouble with these sleepless nights is I tend to drink coffee by the gallon and smoke like a chimney; neither of which is conducive to good health! Oh well! Off to have look round YouTube! :lol: I was watching 'Anne of the Thousand Days' earlier. Wonderful film, even if it was made in 1969.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - you know - with babies they say the more sleep they get the more they will sleep. If a baby doesn't get an appropriate amount of sleep they become so chronically overtired they can't sleep. Maybe that is your problem RS. Maybe you need to start taking a few naps during the day to slow you down a bit so you're more relaxed at bedtime which means you'll ultimately get a fuller nights sleep.

For whatever reason known to man I went to bed at 11pm last night and literally didn't move until 7:30am this morning WHICH is relatively unheard of. Didn't wake for the 4am pee break, didn't toss and turn nor did the hips ache to the point of waking me up. Feeling real perky today after getting a real good ZZZZzzzzz last night.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I am soooo jealous of people who can nod off during the day! DH can fall asleep on a razor blade and has always had the ability to do so even as a teenager, and I look across at him sometimes, fast asleep in an armchair, and I so envy him! :zz I am going out for the day with DIL too. I'm gonna be like a wrung out dishcloth by tonight!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I never allowed myself to sleep during the day out of fear I wouldn't be able to sleep at night and now I rarely, if ever, nod off. Occasionally I do but never for long. I think the ability to nod off means the person has an ability to put the body and mind into a state of relaxation. I've never really had the ability to relax. Am always thinking always doing and it is hard for me to divest everything that allows me to relax - but apparently if you can do it it is a big benefit to you health-wise.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You sound just like me in the sleeping and relaxation department, LLL! My brain is forever churning over. I try to keep to a routine if I can but, at the moment, I'm getting roughly one night's sleep out of every three. :td
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

For years I've had a nap for an hour after supper once everything is washed/tidied up, I'm flat out on the sofa from 6 pm & automatically wake at 7 pm.

Then when I go to bed I read for about 2 hours then nod off, usually I slept through the night but, since my son left home & I'm home alone I seem to wake with every sound but, do manage to nod off again :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I can't believe it! I nodded off for a couple of hours yesterday evening, then went to bed about 10.00 and apart from bathroom visits, when I went straight back to sleep. I slept until nearly 8.00am, at least 10 hours sleep!

I think I may have found the answer, I'll experiment and if it works will share it of course. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I know I definitely sleep better when it is cooler. When the temperatures go up my ability to sleep goes down. I've often thought about buying a portable A/C unit just for the bedroom so I can keep it cold and sleep wrapped up in my goose down comforter.

I also find the comforter wonderfully comfortable as it is light yet warm. I don't like the weight of mega blankets at night and ever since sleeping under a goose down comforter and experiencing a totally wonderful nights sleep I got one and wouldn't go back to all the blankets.

Have been working on finding a good or better pillow but so far I haven't found any one particular type of pillow exceeds another with regard to me getting a good nights sleep.

Anybody ever try the type of pillow that looks like a 2 humped camel back? Usually one of the humps is slightly higher than the other and these are made of some type of memory foam?