Foods of Trinidad

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Foods of Trinidad

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One of the biggest differences between here and Trinidad is the cooking. Virtually ALL food is chopped into bite sized pieces with the ever present "cutlass" (as it is known there). We'd call 'em machete but each and every house has one or more:

All food IS made fresh every day and often you can make your own selection of "fresh" chicken and have it weighed, killed, plucked and packaged while you wait. One of the problems with chicken/ducks/goat (the 3 most popular meats) is that NONE of it is ever de-boned first. Instead all the bones are just chopped and splinter meaning you have to "suck" your food so that you don't end up swallowing bone fragments.

One of the MOST delectable snacks there are called "Cutters" which are chicken feet. They're sucked and savoured and really one of the biggest treats one can get. Curried cutters (not really a personal favorite)

Fruit stands are everywhere and all of it is home grown to be sold "in market"

At this time oranges and cashews were in season. Cashews, both the fruit and nut(s) are personal favorites and I could eat the fruit part of the cashew all day long.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Foods of Trinidad

Post by Grandad »

WOW! Now you have whetted our appetites we will be expecting a lot more about your trip to Trinidad. I have never been to the Windies and I don't think many if any of friends on here have been.
I have seen cashews being processed in Goa but have never tasted the fruit. I always thought that the nut on the outside of each fruit was the only useful part....what do I know :lol:

Keep it coming and great to see you back ;) :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great piccies, looks like you got yourself around quite a bit :up I'm with Grandad and although I knew there was also a fruit with a Cashew nut I have never tasted the fruit.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great photos again LLL :) I can smell the fruit as I pass by that stall.....Mmmmmm yummy! though I don't fancy sucking on a chicken foot :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'll admit to sucking chicken feet but have been grossed out a few times by getting the nail :( :( I have, in the distant past tried duck feet but don't like the webbing. I've crunched my way through shrimp heads too which are stuffed with greens however don't like these too much.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Lovely apart from the chicken feet, still they look better that the boiled ones I was given here when I was ill. Luckily the family dog got rid of them for me ! Missed this post, great to see all the food.