What's in season?

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

What's in season?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]Which fresh fruits and vegetables are in season around Egypt at the moment? What would you expect to pay per kilo? (Please, if you answer, would you state where abouts in Egypt you are giving the information from as I'm sure price and availabltiy must vary up and down the country).[/face]

Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Strawberries :P I pay 6LE per kilo normally. Went to the souk today just handed over 3LE & didn't ask :oops: I find that is the best way nowadays.

Tomatoes are about 1LE per kg & can be lovely if you are picky, I don't like them soft :)

Oranges, great for juice 1.5LE/kg.

Baby new pots & aubergines but didn't need any today so don't know how much. We buy our carrots by the bunch where possible, which is normally dearer, but they are incredibly fresh, the tops are still bright green & not wilted at all. Normally pay 1LE per bunch
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Oooh! I love food topics! :)

Since Fab mentioned Strawbs, may as well start there too!

Fruit and veg in Egypt, no matter where you buy it from starts off expensive at the beginning of the season and slowly drops in price. Can't remember how much I paid for strawbs when the first cam in in November - must have been about 8 LE a kilo or thereabouts - it was about the same price whether you bought them from the supermarket in the box or from the market stalls.

The other day strawbs in Carrefour were just a little over 3 LE, and I heard the street seller this morning selling them for 2 kilos for 5 LE.

Naval Oranges - think they're about 3 LE a kilo at the mo, juicing oranges are about 1.50 LE.

Brocolli is about 6-8 LE a kilo - cheaper to get it from the supermarket than the street seller (and you end up with a mountain of the stuff from the street seller!)

Tomatoes, depends on the squidgyness - I prefer mine hard and red (Gamda wa Hamra) so pay a bit more if they from the market - somewhere between 1 LE and 1.5 LE a kilo. Squidgers are a lot less and up here are normally sold in bulk for sauce think it's about 10 kilos for 5 LE.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Gamda wa Hamra, sounds a really useful phrase for me too, thanks Goddess.

BB is lowering the tone by making comments about you going into the market and saying you want it Gamda wa Hamra :lol: :roll:
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

:lol:

I learnt the Hamra wa Gamda phrase from an old neighbour I nicknamed Victor Meldrew. He'd stand on his balcony and shout it at the tomato seller and woe betide them if they sent a squidger up cause he'd send the whole lot back again.