What's your taste in music?

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

What's your taste in music?

Post by Grandad »

When I attended grammar school, a good friend in my class was Tony Coe who became a renouned jazz clarinetist playing with all the top bands of the fifties and sixties. I still see him occasionally and I last heard he was Professor of Music at Kent University. Knowing Tony introduced me to jazz that I enjoy to this day.

After I moved from grammar school to technical college one of the teachers, probably in current affairs or the like, introduced us to classical music. I remember our attempts to analyse some of the works of Dvorak, Grieg, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven. I liked this big bold orchestral music and as my wife shared this with me we went to many concerts in the early years of our marriage.

Today my choice of music is very wide and the current BBC Proms from The Royal Albert Hall contain music to please any taste. Last evening we watched the program devoted to the film music of John Williams played by the BBC Concert Orchestra and conducted by Keith Lockhart, a personal friend of Williams.
A most enjoyable concert which reminded me of the power and beauty of big musical works played to perfection by one of the most accomplished orchestras of the world. So I guess classical is back at the top of my list of music preferences.

What's your personal taste???

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What's your taste in music?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I love to listen to the soundtracks of Broadway shows ;) "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Fiddler on the Roof, Grease etc etc etc."

If I'm not listening to those I like a broad range of music and soft rock. What I do not like is any sort of heavy metal, country western and I just have never been able to appreciate jazz.

I also like random evenings of, for example, American Big Band, Japanese drumming, Tassa drumming & Soca (from Trinidad), Scottish bagpipes and other ethnic type music. Couldn't/can't take a steady diet of them but I do enjoy individual evenings of different music types.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I like most music except progressive jazz. My favourite though, is the Ladysmith Black Mambaso Band followed by anything by Queen and Chris Rea. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:I like most music. My favourite though, is the Ladysmith Black Mambaso Band followed by anything by Queen and Chris Rea. :up
'Driving Home for Christmas' Isn't that one of the nicest Christmas songs ever?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Driving Home for Christmas isn't one of my favourites though it's OK. For several reasons Christmas was never all that wonderful in my family.

I used the M25 on a daily basis for a few years so Motorway to Hell still has a special attachment. I must admit I do like all guitar music, classical rock and jazz.

Oooh, drums! My 14 year old Grandson has been playing drums since he was 8 yrs old and is really good. He's a natural teacher and on my last trip was teaching me how to read drum music - really fascinating.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Trans syberian orchestra all the way re: Christmas music is ME big time! :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

When we are chatting on here I too easily and frequently reminisce on earlier times.....an age thing I suppose.
In the fifties and sixties, the days of the big bands, we would have on tour bands such as Ted Heath, Ken Mackintosh, Humphrey Littleton, Johnny Dankworth and others. MD mentions her grandsons drumming and at those events a highlight would be a drum solo whenn the drummer would show off all his skill for 5 minutes or more. Great stuff.
I had a very varied record collection from military bands to jazz quitets like George Shering. This was and still is a favourite
phpBB [video]
EfrainZi

Post by EfrainZi »

I like all kinds of music. Basically, I listen to what ever I like, no matter what genre it is. But I do love Springsteen and classic rock. You could say that's my favorite genre if I had to pick one.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@EfrainZi
Hi EfrainZi, good to see you and welcome. You must have been digging around some old threads. Some of us on here have joined the Amazon Echo fad which was a best seller last Christmas here in the UK. I have one on my desk and often ask 'Alexa' to play me music. Like you my taste is very wide but of late I have been requesting music from the forties, fifties, sixties etc. Getting nostalgic I think :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Welcome from me too, EfrainZi. I hope we see more of you. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

En route here (to the USA from Canada) I was scanning radio stations on the car. Finally came across "Easy Listening" which, of late, seems my music of choice.

Which part of the USA are you in EfrainZi? Hopefully you're not in the Northeast quadrant right now under snow warnings.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest right now but back to Canada and Vancouver Island tomorrow.

Welcome to Egypt 4U :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I haven't a firm favourite but love a variety of music :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Me too Kiya, I love most types of music from classical to modern, my main dislikes are Jazz (I hate it) and Rap which to me is just a monotonous jumble of words with an annoying background.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have Alexa playing a selection of Johny Dankworth/Cleo Laine music right now. Jazz comes in many forms H and I always liked this combo. We saw them at a local Saturday night dance in the mid fifties before they or we married. I was knocked out by Cleo's voice, vocal range, and amazing looks. Always one of my favourites along with Ella and Shirl'.

I must confess to preferring earlier music from the forties and even earlier, on through to the sixties/seventies. There is not a lot of todays music that I really like except perhaps much of the music from the big stage shows.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh good grief Grandad, Cleo Laine! the one woman I can't abide, her voice really does my head in, she reinforces my dislike of jazz :td :stp
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

You don't ever really hear much jazz here and I can't say I really like it or relate to it.

I tend to like "Easy Listening" of real songs with words and melodic music.

Don't like the Screamers of today or RAP or Heavy Metal as, to me, those cross the boundary into noise vs something I'd care to listen to.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I like bluesy jazz, but really hate it when singers, particularly for some reason women singers start to improvise and warble, on and on up and down the scales adding nothing and spoiling the performance. :evil:

Favourite jazz singers Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald. :up

In the UK for some unknown reason Traditional Jazz bands pop up, usually near the beer tent at open air shows of Country Leisure Activities and irritate the blazes out of me.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Trad, that's improvised real music MD ;)

There are around 50 genres of jazz and I like most of them, even Rap if it is good.

As for heavy metal, who can beat Fu Fighters, my fav in that genre. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

but really hate it when singers, particularly for some reason women singers start to improvise and warble, on and on up and down the scales adding nothing and spoiling the performance.
Exactly MD, you put my own feelings into words, tuneless warbling :stp