The A Word

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

The A Word

Post by Ruby Slippers »

This afternoon I started to watch 'The A Word' on iPlayer, and I have to say I was gripped from the first episode. Initially, I was interested because my 10 year old grandson has autism, so I just wanted to maybe learn a bit more about the condition, but it looks to be one of the best programmes of the year so far. Has anyone else been watching it?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: The A Word

Post by Horus »

Can't say Ive seen the programe :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It's fantastic I agree. All of the actors are excellent, but especially the little boy and his teenage sister. Jst one of those dramas that you know are going to be award winners as you watch them.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes RS, a must see for us. And the little lad (Max Vento) who plays Joe is brilliant. :up :up

(We did wonder if he is Autistic but apparently not. He is only 6, how about that?)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't seen "The A Word" yet but it sounds good. I have a friend whose Grandson has autism and he is quite severe. Unable to function in a regular school. The parents are granted something in the order of $20,000 per year towards his care which isn't hardly sufficient given he can't function with care providers. He is an only child, his parents are late 40ies and beside themselves knowing one day in the not too distant future their son will no longer be able to even live with them. The extreme worry is how to parent an adult child who has minimal abilities to function. To think of your child having to be institutionalized is horrible.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've been thinking about this and have realised it's the pure innocent confidence of Max Vento which had me too wondering if he was really autistic. It gives me goose bumps to watch him.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Apparently he was still only 5 when they recorded the series. My youngest grandson is just 7 years old and I am sure that with a good tutor most young lads could do that. They need a role model, just look how young kids respect and have total confidence in their teachers.
I agree about the goose bumps MD, especially when he is walking around singing word perfect to the pop music on his ipod. And the little characteristics like closing and opening the school door before he goes in, and hanging his coat on the hook several times. I find it all very convincing and a joy to watch. Max is the star. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I haven't seen this program, will watch out for it :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It will be the last of 6 episodes next Tuesday Kiya so you will have missed the story. Shame really because it was all about a Yorkshire family that had a small brewery and restaurant and a small autistic grandson. Lovely story, no violence, and only hints of bedroom stuff if you catch my drift. But the lad is the centre of this great story.

There have been some terrific serial dramas on TV recently. Happy Valley (if only Sarah Lancashire would stop mumbling and project her lines more clearly), Indian Summers (or Lust in the Dust as RS calls it ;) ) The A Word and Line of Duty (both of which conclude next week), and Undercover that has 3 weeks to run. The Peaky Blinders is back soon so more to look forward to....
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

No point in watching the last episode if I've missed the story.

Peaky Blinders I think I can watch from Netflix, I'm sure Roy told me about that one.

I'm watching just now Dexter on Netflix......Good cop killing all the bad guys........gruesome in parts.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Another good series if your watching on Netflix Kiya is 'Breaking Bad' :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I seem to be at a disadvantage here. I have no idea what Netflix is or are. Have I been living in the dark ages?
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus wrote:Another good series if your watching on Netflix Kiya is 'Breaking Bad' :up
Yes heard of that one too probably from Roy :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad wrote:I seem to be at a disadvantage here. I have no idea what Netflix is or are. Have I been living in the dark ages?
Grandad I think you can get Netflix on most new TV's.............Roy has it & he pays a monthly charge around £6 a month, he downloaded on to my Fire Kindle so I can get it free through him.

So far I'v watched some historical drama's, films etc since Christmas time :)

I'm sure Horus will keep you right & how to get it :a41:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Not a lot more to add Kiya, as you say it is a 'pay for view' service that is streamed via your modem to your TV or other devices, the good thing is you can watch complete series of popular shows, or 'box sets' as they are usually called.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have Netflix and I think I pay $8/month for it (it is just added to the Internet and Cable bill). Recently the Cable TV has been advertising CRAVE TV (same as Netflix) for $4/month and somewhere I read that AMAZON has some sort of service that provides the same as Netflix - getting movies on Demand, ability to watch an entire series.

I quite liked watching "VIKING" on TV however I've missed quite a few of the episodes. I read recently that AMAZON has purchased this Series so it'll never be shown on Netflix :( (but I doubt I'm going to be bothered to change off Netflix to another Service anytime soon)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks folks. I have internet TV so could probably get it. But we find plenty to watch with Youview that gives all the catch up services if we miss anything.

LLL, I think the Amazon service is called PRIME. It is advertised on our commercial TV.

But how much TV can you watch or want to watch?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Better still if you load Kodi onto a Firestick you can get the world for free ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

In her opening post RS said that she watched the programme on iPlayer, me too.

Episode 2 is available for another 6 days though number one has gone, basically it just set the stage for a family in denial that their son had a problem. Well you know that now, thanks to this excellent forum, so my advice is do what we did, watch it on iPlayer there are currently episodes 2-5 available and well worth watching.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Kodi and a firestick??? You lost me but am interesting in hearing more. What is Kodi and what is firestick? (Do you mean a plug in USB thing?)