The A Word

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: The A Word

Post by Horus »

LLL, the Firestick is ostensibly a USB device marketed by Amazon that plugs into an input HDMI socket on a TV set. It is then programmed to pick up your home WiFi signal and it logs you into all sorts of TV services such as Netflix & Amazon Prime all of which you need to subscribe to and these are sent wirelessly from your modem to your TV via this device. They are quite cheap to buy at around £35 Sterling and if you buy it direct from Amazon and already have a Kindle account with them it already comes pre-set up to your Amazon account. This is not necessary as all you need to do is register the device if you purchase it elsewhere, now here is the difference. Once registered they (Amazon) expect that you will only use it to view their various content, but ....................... it is quite easy to go onto the internet and find the info for downloading a programme onto it called 'KODI'. Once you have done so the Kodi programme allows you to access loads of freely accessible sites all over the world, OK they are not all legitimate, but neither were pirate radio stations at the time, but everyone listened to them. I could say with a fair bit of confidence that there is no film or TV programme that I could not watch if I had a mind to and pay nothing. :cg

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - I kinda figured the Firestick was a USB. I'd not heard of Kodi though. Interesting what you can do in this world IF you know how! ;)

I never really study what is coming or read reviews per se .... I tend to rely on other people saying "Have you seen this?" and then tell me what they saw and why they were impressed or not. I then decide if I want to watch it IF I remember things like the name of the show or starring actor/actress.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Kodi was originally designed for the Xbox and whereas Kodi itself is perfectly legal to use, some of the 'peripherals' are a pretty grey area, which Kodi distances itself from. :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

some of the 'peripherals' are a pretty grey area, which Kodi distances itself from. :D
As of course we all do ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Aaaah! Absolutely superb! The script, the acting - everything! Encore, encore! :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We enjoyed it RS but do you think there is likely to be another series? I would have thought the story has run its course. I think it might spoil a good thing if, due to the popularity of this first series, they write a follow up? Although, there are plenty of 'open ends'. ;)

We will see I suppose.
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, I agree with you. Another or further series would take something away from the original. It reminded me a bit of 'Last Tango in Halifax' but that successfully led on to more. Somehow, I think The A Word is best left as a one- off though.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Last Tango certainly 'worked' as a continuing series RS. That and Happy Valley have Sally Wainwrights signature all over them. There has been some superb drama on BBC in recent years. Line of Duty concludes this week. A rather complicated story but cleverly written and it looks as if 'Dot' Cotton (AKA Dougie Raworth in Indian Summers) and played so well by Craig Parkinson, will get his come uppance. :lol: :lol:

And Peaky Blinders is back next week......
:gg: