New TV series in India

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

New TV series in India

Post by Grandad »

A new 3 part series started last evening, 21.00 BBC2, The Real Marigold Hotel.

It features 8 personalities, all in their 60's and 70's, from the entertainment world who are considering the possibility of retiring to India. (Or at least that is the story :lol: )

Having expressed my love of the country from just 3 visits I found it most enjoyable and portrayed the colour and atmosphere of the country. It also touched on the extremes of wealth and poverty in a sympathetic manner, particularly from Bobby George the former darts champion.

They went up to the Amber Fort, outside Jaipur, and although I expect they went up by elephant that was not shown. This is the zig-zag road up the hill.

I think they go to Agra next week to the Taj Mahal, probably the most beautiful building I have ever seen.

Well worth a watch IMO :up

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: New TV series in India

Post by Horus »

I may have a look on I-Player :up
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Sounds OK Grandad , I havent even seen the Marigold films yet - - - - I will mark the time so I can watch next week - thankyou.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Marigold movies are excellent. Really enjoyed them and now I know about this TV series I'm going to keep a watch out for it. Might make it here ...
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was lucky and read the original book before I saw the film which was OK but different.

I especially liked the in depth description of each character at the start of the book. I found it played on my emotions and was definitely funnier than the film.
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've read the book; seen the films and also watched the new series last night! :lol: It was excellent and I can't wait for next weeks episode. The only shame is that there are only three episodes! :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Missed again :) will try & remember for next weeks part :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have never been to India but would absolutely love to go there. I get tidbits of it in Trinidad but would love to go and see it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just seen episode two and you would really enjoy this series LLL, hope you get it soon. There was a lot tonight where the pensioners mixed with locals for various reasons inclusing a full hoslital health check, and a visit to a Guru.

But the highlight was their visit to Agra and the Taj Mahal. Absolutely stunning. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not seeing any sign on it on here but will keep watching.

I have no idea where Canada gets its TV programming from. Apparently WE (Canada) is supposed to have X percentage of Canadian content and many of our shows are (ahem) "something to see" (often very poor and nobody watches them).

On the other hand we do seem to get MANY shows from the USA and what many of them are are take off from British programs. WHY we can't go direct to the horses mouth is beyond me as most of the BBC shows are just loved here!

Will keep a watch for this one.

I did find when I did a channel search that we are now seeing "Jewel in the Crown" series again! ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

And a fraction of price for operations compared to UK.

Taj Mahal looks beautiful.........wouldn't mind seeing it for real. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The bottom line is that it still resembles any third world country, to be honest it reminded me very much of Egypt, filthy streets and crumbling buildings. Such a huge difference between the haves and have not’s, food prepared in unsanitary conditions, is it any wonder that the two ladies seemed to suffer from the trots all the time. It may be OK for visiting some of the historic sites such as the Taj Mahal, but living there? Not a chance and I would feel the same about Egypt.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus you need to go there to appreciate what a great country India is. True it is squalid in many parts and to our eyes unhygienic but if you can accept life in India as it is for the majority you find it the most welcoming from humble people. Very different from the middle class who are very arrogant.

I am not interested in the 'haves' and, like China, there is an increasing number of those. I like to get amongst the people just like in the program and savour the atmosphere of real India. It remains the most fascinating, colourful and enjoyable country I have ever visited. Even more than Thailand.

I think we all have different expectations from our holidays and I always want to get away from the guided tourist routes and mix with the people. I don't think I have any right to be critical but just accept the country as it is.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Not for me Grandad. I rarely have "holidays" usually its volunteering so as I would never volunteer in India, for sure I would not want to see that squalid country. Saw enough in Slumdog Millionaire. I am waiting for your show to be on my TV.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm with Grandad on this one. Give me the genuine people who are 'living the life' any day of the week! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You can all have my share then, when I go on holiday I want some comfort not slumming it.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You had your ration of 'slumming it' in Africa, did you, Horus? :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I love Trinidad cause there are NO tourists there. Just me living with regular people (mostly Hindu) who all hail from India and have recreated it there. Totally lovely.

Can't say it is very hygienic - dirt floors, chickens and goats zooming through the house, sleeping under a mosquito net at night so the BIG bugs don't fall on you, wearing all the baggy cotton clothes - really a very nice laid back life BUT does start to wear on ya after a bit. It is really the high crime that gets to me most with really no ability to investigate it.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:You had your ration of 'slumming it' in Africa, did you, Horus? :lol:
To a large degree I did RS, but having said that I can never remember getting the trotts like you do in places like Egypt and India. In any event Africa for me was working and being paid very well to be there, unlike me paying hard earned money for the priveledge of getting Campylobacter from poor hygiene and squalor, in fact most African coutries are quite clean by comparisson.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Slumming it Horus? The hotels are as good as anywhere with similar service. There is a wealth of historical and cultural places for the tourist to visit. So you don't HAVE to just walk across the road from your hotel and down a side street to experience the real people of India. Have a glass of Lassi and a spicy samosa or two. Watch the craftsmen in the little workshops under apartment blocks making everything from false teeth to suits, to injection moulded products and much more. I find Indian people very industrious and on my visits have enjoyed getting amongst them.

I have been to India three times and spent more than 6 weeks in the country and never had a problem. As Myriam Margolis said, 'the toilets are something else' :lol: Just hold your breath :lol: